SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 10/21

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 10/21

Post by numbersix »

Oh my. How did I end up with having to provide analysis on 7 films for one weekend? The industry, terrified of Halloween, has decided to plonk a bunch of films onto the weekend before and let them battle it out to see who the winner is. Likewise for the smaller distributors who have three prestige flicks aiming for the PTA crown.

The clear winner will be Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Paramount). Yes, that title makes it sound like a hip-hop dance flick, but actually it’s the sequel to the 2012 action film that performed moderately well ($80m in the US) though needed worldwide sales to make it profitable. The original film had legendary director Werner Herzog as the villain, so I had hoped the sequel had David Lynch battling Jack Reacher with his army of backwards-speaking dwarves. Alas this film merely pits the rogue crime-solver (Tom Cruise) against a mysterious Hunter (Patrick Heusinger) as he tries to clear the name of his army buddy Major Turner (Cobie Smulders).

Despite the popularity of the book series, this film sequel doesn’t come across as particularly wanted. If Mr Scientology just about managed to make the first film to do well, we’re more than likely going to see diminishing returns on this one, particularly when last week saw the older adult audience go for The Accountant and next week they’ll have Tom Hanks solving ridiculously stupid conspiracy theories in Inferno. So I see this film opening at about $20m and making $55m or so cume, due to a hard drop next weekend. That’s not great for a film that’ll cost you $14 or $15 in BO. However, in the Ultimate game you are going to see a pretty much guaranteed 10 T5 points, 3 or 4 PTA points, and an IMDB score in the mid 6s. If you need a mid range filler for your Ultimate slate, this isn’t a bad choice, though cheaper Xmas flicks Sing and Passengers may result in better numbers.

It wouldn’t be Halloween without some schlocky horror to get the teens all excited. And while the summer saw some surprise hits, October is strangely sparse of supernatural jolts. Ouija: Origin of Evil (Universal) is a prequel to the 2014 film about kids playing around with the board that allows you to talk to the dead. I’m not sure what’s terrifying about a Hasbro board game. There have probably been more deaths caused by Monopoly family fallouts than this.

With a new cast and new director (Mike Flanagan, of Oculus and Hush fame), this should act like most horrors (besides The Conjuring) and make less than the first film, unless it receives rave reviews. It should open to about $12m and make around $30 in total, much less than the original’s $50m. That’s going to get you around 4 T5 points, possibly a single PTA point, and an IMDB score in the 4s. For its $8 pricetag in Ultimate and BO, I’d join the general public and avoid.

What will probably be far scarier is the sight of Tyler Perry in drag yet again. Boo! A Madea Halloween (Lionsgate) revives the Madea franchise once more, despite Perry’s stock being at an all-time low. You really don’t need to know the plot. It’s a dude in a fat costume dealing with ghosts and things. However, let’s not let personal taste get in the way of the numbers. Madea’s last cinematic outing was a Christmas one, and it ended up with $50 across the holidays. Even if this film doesn’t perform as well (and a 2014 TV movie suggests Madea isn’t what she used to be), you could still see it opening in the high teens and closing with about $40m. Which makes it an interesting prospect for the BO game, where it costs $8 (6 for the August leagues). If you have that gap in your slate, I would consider it. For Ultimate you’re going to have to deal with the horrible ratings Perry’s films normally receive but you will get 6 T5 points and 1-2 PTA points. It’s certainly tempting, if you can find something small to balance out that IMDB rating.

Finally, Keeping Up With The Joneses (Fox) is a long-delayed comedy about a suburban couple who get caught up in some spy shenanigans. Haven’t we seen this film before? Unlike the similar Date Night, this film features lesser stars like Isla Fisher and Zach Galifianakis. There’s very little buzz about this film, and not even Fox seem that bothered about it. Even though it’s the first proper comedy in some time, it’s still going to open low (around 7m), make very little (20m) and thus give you little when it comes to Ultimate stats. It’s not worth the $6-8 you’ll have to fork up to nab it.

Now that the wide films are done, I’m going to have to breeze through the limited releases just to avoid overloading the site.

Moonlight (A24) has all the markings of a limited hit. Not only is prestige arthouse distributor A24 releasing it, but the film, an adaptation of the hit play dealing with three defining eras in a young African-American man’s life, has gone down a storm in festivals like Telluride, Toronto, London and NY. And it’s the kind of film that could easily end up being nominated for an Oscar. Assuming A24 are going to stick to their strategy of opening in a handful of theatres and slowly platforming, this film could earn over 10 PTA points and maintain its current IMDB score in the 8s. It’s either $3 or $5 in Ultimate leagues, and is without doubt worth grabbing. For $1 in BO it also could deliver some good numbers.

American Pastoral (Lionsgate) is the kind of prestige title that should draw sophisticated city folk. Being an adaptation of the novel by successful middle-class pseudo-intellectual God Philip Roth is a plus. Director and lead is Ewan McGregor, but unfortunately the reviews aren’t strong enough, nor is the OW theatre count (45). It might get 1 PTA point at best, but really it’s not worth the $4 Ultimate price or $1 in BO.

The Handmaiden (Magnolia) is an Asian lesbian erotic thriller. What’s not to love? It also happens to be directed by South Korean auteur Chan-Wook Park, and is receiving his best reviews since Old Boy exploded into the international scene. Magnolia don’t have a lot of money to put into marketing, but festival WOM and its theatre count (an estimated 5) will make this worth the bargain price of $3.

My predictions for the weekend

1. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - $21M
2. Boo! A Madea Halloween - $18M
3. Ouija 2: Origin of Evil - $12.5M
4. The Accountant - $12M
5. Keeping Up with the Joneses - $7m

PTA: Moonlight, The Handmaiden, Jack Reacher 2, Boo, American Pastoral

Next week Banks will return with the hefty task of looking at one film. Inferno. Just one. That gives him more time to get his prediction right, unlike last week (haha).
Last edited by numbersix on October 19th, 2016, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE - FILMS OF 10/21

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
Next week Banks will return with the hefty task of looking at one film. Inferno. Just one. That gives him more time to get his prediction right, unlike last week (haha).
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job, Six. Love your predictions. Can't find fault with any of it. Dammit.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I find it hilarious the way the Madea movies seem to be copying the template of the Ernest movies. Ernest went to jail, Ernest saved Christmas, and Ernest was scared stupid, and now Madea has done all three. Not being an ardent fan of the series, I'm not sure if she ever went to camp, but maybe that's next.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hopefully she uses good old fashioned miak to save the day.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

JohnErle wrote:I find it hilarious the way the Madea movies seem to be copying the template of the Ernest movies. Ernest went to jail, Ernest saved Christmas, and Ernest was scared stupid, and now Madea has done all three. Not being an ardent fan of the series, I'm not sure if she ever went to camp, but maybe that's next.
Holy shit this is so accurate. I actually feel kind of dumb for not realizing this sooner.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The Handmaiden... I hope this one is gonna grab some points it deserves it.

I would like to point out my dear Six that the first Jack Reach actually made $80M in the US back then, and not 60.... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah, you're right. Well spotted!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I really enjoyed the Jack Reacher, hoping this one is just as good.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Friday Estimates:

Boo! A Madea Halloween, $9.4M
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $8.9M
Ouija: Origin of Evil, $5.5M
The Accountant, $4.4M
The Girl on the Train, $2.3M
Keeping Up with the Joneses, $2M
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, $1.6M
Kevin Hart: What Now? $1.3M
Deepwater Horizon, $1.1M

Weekend Projections:

Boo! A Madea Halloween, $24.4M
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $23M
The Accountant, $13.9M
Ouija: Origin of Evil, $13.2M
The Girl on the Train, $7.4M
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, $6.2M
Keeping Up with the Joneses, $5.7M
Kevin Hart: What Now? $4.6M
Storks, $4.2M
Deepwater Horizon, $3.8M

PTA:
Moonlight, $92.5K
American Pstoral, $2.5K

Celebrity Birthdays:

Jon Favreau turned 50 on 10/19
Danny Boyle turned 60 on 10/20
Dan Fogler turned 40 on 10/20
Carrie Fisher turned 60 on 10/21
Dwight Yoakam turns 60 on 10/23
Ryan Reynolds turns 40 on 10/23
Cat Deeley turns 40 on 10/23
Emilia Clarke turns 30 on 10/23

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sunday Estimates

Top 10:
5 points - Boo! A Madea Halloween, $27.6M
4 points - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $23.0M
3 points - Ouija: Origin of Evil, $14.1M
2 points - The Accountant, $14.0M
1 point - The Girl on the Train, $7.3M
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, $6.0M
Keeping Up with the Joneses, $5.6M
Kevin Hart: What Now?, $4.1M
Storks, $4.1M
Deepwater Horizon, $3.6M

16. I'm Not Ashamed, $900K

PTA:
5 points - Moonlight, $100K :shock:
4 points - The Handmaiden, $18K
3 points - Boo! A Madea Halloween, $12K
2 points - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $6K
1 point - Ouija: Origin of Evil, $4K

American Pastoral, $3K

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, thought Boo would do better than expected but not that much better. Will be interesting to see its hold.

Another wow is Moonlight's opening PTA. That places it in the Top 25 OW PTA of all time, ahead of the likes of Inside Llewyn Davis and Midnight in Paris. Wish I took it in BO as it'll certainly make close to 10m

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

BOO, seriously....

You said it yourself six, Jack Reacher will be the clear winner....im shocked, but after reading boosh's review i guess its just not that good a movie, and Les Grossman just didnt produce a hit this time. like the last 2. (btw- if hollywood are making so much crap these days, why not a LES GROSSMAN MOVIE!!??) Off topic somewhat, Tom Cruise is really having an action man resurgence, just had peek at his next titles in imdb-

American Made (post-production) as Barry Seal
2017 The Mummy (post-production) as Tyler Colt
Luna Park (announced)
M:I 6 - Mission Impossible (pre-production) as Ethan Hunt
Top Gun 2 (announced) as Maverick

Add Jack Reacher and Cage as his last other character names. Incase you were wondering what his best character name was imo; Lestat.

And can someone explain to me why the Madea shit keeps pumping...? Also, not sure if this is noteworthy- BOO currently sits at 6.1 at imdb with 127 votes. Jack sits at 6.7 with over 2000 votes, i suppose things will pan out after a while but it might be worth keeping check. Im thinking less people are using imdb these days, or perhaps less voting on films there and rather other places

Im very much looking forward to seeing Moonlight, im a fan of Mahershala Ali (best known for House of Cards).

Thanks for the column six!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Ron Burgundy wrote:And can someone explain to me why the Madea shit keeps pumping...? Also, not sure if this is noteworthy- BOO currently sits at 6.1 at imdb with 127 votes. Jack sits at 6.7 with over 2000 votes, i suppose things will pan out after a while but it might be worth keeping check. Im thinking less people are using imdb these days, or perhaps less voting on films there and rather other places
Maybe after all the Ghostbusters nonsense, IMDB decided to filter out all the hate-based voting that goes on before a film is even released? The Accountant already has 9000 votes, so maybe there was just a glitch this weekend and votes aren't displaying.

And Madea movies keep coming out for the same reason Fast & Furious movies keep getting churned out: there's an audience for them, and they make money.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weekend Actuals

Top 10:
5 points - Boo! A Madea Halloween, $28.5M
4 points - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $22.9M
3 points - Ouija: Origin of Evil, $14.1M
2 points - The Accountant, $13.6M
1 point - The Girl on the Train, $7.2M
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, $5.9M
Keeping Up with the Joneses, $5.5M
Kevin Hart: What Now?, $4.1M
Storks, $4.0M
Deepwater Horizon, $3.4M

15. I'm Not Ashamed, $927K

PTA:
5 points - Moonlight, $100,519
4 points - The Handmaiden, $18,426
3 points - Boo! A Madea Halloween, $12,611
2 points - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $6,051
1 point - Ouija: Origin of Evil, $4,441

#7. American Pastoral, $2,981

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

These movies have an audience? Or just a bunch of zombies? im not so sure...
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale