THE OFFICIAL 2015 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: THE OFFICIAL 2015 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Post by numbersix »

IMDB: agreed. If it gets a US release than it's going to get more than a few dozen votes on IMDB anyway, so it's not important

Different prices each season: Agreed

Choosing films: Agreed, to a certain extent. No point in overloading the game with a bunch of limited releases that are going to get us nothing anyway. However, I think we should have input on adding new films, even if they're not up on BOM (which can be slow). I've a fairly good sense of limited releases with PTA potential, so am happy to make some suggestions if they're not included.

First Weekend PTA rule: I reluctantly agree with the guys. Think it should be like T5 points.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

This is all fine to me. Like banks, I didn't really know how the IMDb rating worked, actually, so I'll be fine with it.
resetting the prices for each trimester is fine with me too. It's something that bugged me a bit on the italian site, so it's good.
As for the number of films included, I trust your discretion, Shryke, and I'm fine with proposing other films If anyone sees a missing film that should be included.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

On the note of adding films, I think Clouds of Sils Maria should be included. That's the only one I can see that has a chance of getting PTA points that isn't in the game.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I really have no clue about what films to add as I know very little about arthouse stuff, and it's not like we'd be adding wide releases. If only we had someone that knew arthouse films and could scan Mojo once a month to see what halfway decent ones are coming out in the next three months...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

Shrykespeare wrote:PROPOSED RULE CHANGES:

OLD RULE: A film's User Rating is exactly what's in IMDb. If a film has less than 400 votes, however, the Rating used for the game is the average between what the Rating is NOW and what it was when the season started.

RULE CHANGE: Since I'm doing this on my own, this is not up for a vote. I propose that the User Rating we use for game purposes is whatever IMDb says it is NOW, rather than averaging it out, regardless of if it has 5 votes or 50,000. I always thought it was a stupid rule anyway. This is an executive decision.
Our opinion doesn't count on this, however, I totally agree.

Shrykespeare wrote:OLD RULE: On MMG, movies were given two prices, a Regular Price and a Reduced Price (for both Ultimate and Box Office). The Reduced Price only counted if the film was released in the last four weeks (not one month, FOUR WEEKS) of a season.

PROPOSED CHANGE: Instead of determining prices for each season only for the films in the last two months of the season, we reconfigure ALL THREE MONTHS of films, each and every time. This means that every three-month season is completely independent of each other, and the pricing schemes for all films will reflect that. For example: Avengers 2 could be $50 in one league, $60 in the second and $70 in the third, depending on its competition.
I totally agree. Aside of competition, in a month time new information come (change of release dates, new releases scheduled, postponements and, last but not the leats, new predictions from boxoffice.com and other sites) and all of them should be reflected in the price. It's like finance, more or less.

Shrykespeare wrote:OLD RULEOLD RULE: Films were included in the game at the moderator's (my) discretion.

PROPOSED CHANGE: We include a lot more films. I try to limited the count to no more than five per weekend. Of course, there are exceptions, such as when a myriad of high-profile films all come out together (like on Xmas weekend), or postponements have caused a logjam, or whatever. But we can always increase the number of films, especially given how many are listed on Box Office Mojo. There are two downsides: first, you never know which indie films are going to report their numbers, and some don't. Those that don't are usually removed from the game and anyone who picked them can replace them without penalty. And second, the pricing panel will be harder (and I'll have a lot more work to do).

PROPOSED CHANGE: We keep the included films to my discretion, but if anyone on the pricing panel notices a worthy film on BOM that I have left off of the monthly pricing scheme, and lets me know early enough on so that I can make the rest of the panel aware of it, we can add that film to the game without too much headache.
I also agree on this. I give you the power to inform us about your decision to add a new movie and to decide its price, provided that the communication happens a week in advance.
It's fine that those on the pricing panel signal limited releases of interest.
I think that everybody can notice every week there are movies with a high PTA which are not in the game. This weekend The salt of the earth is released. It's not in the game but I think it might have delivered some PTA.

As for PTA in the first week of a league, I think the old rule actually made sense, even though films with an average of 500$ may deliver points. Still, I don't think anybody wants to build a roster on such movies.
Last edited by bestfilm on March 27th, 2015, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Agreed with all, nothing really to add that hasn't already been said as it all makes a lot of sense for the future of the game. I will be happy to submit a list of potential PTA movies with each pricing scheme for each season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

April leagues are now open.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I had another thought for a new rule.

Since we no longer have Immunity Markers, how about this:

If a player wins (comes in first or ties for first), they add $10 to a "bank" that they may use in any future round. The player that comes in second will get $5. In other words, if they decide to use it all at once in a future round, they would have a budget of $110 instead of $100. They need not use all of their bonus cash at once, but they can if they want to.

They may also choose to use it right away or accumulate it over the year. All banked cash must be spent by the final round.

What do you guys think?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

No. I think the points they gain from that round are enough. If you want to add a point or so for taking first place, I'd agree to that. My thinking is there's some BO leagues where two or three higher priced movies are the obvious route. Maybe there's a better way in the long run, but they're obvious. You have an obvious route + $10 and that pretty much guarantees another win.*

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of it. It's not a bad thought, I just think that it would take the players who are already out front and compound their lead by giving them a further advantage in future rounds. Would make it even harder for those who get off to a slow start to crawl back into it. I was always in favor of the IM, as it does make sense to reward the top players in a format where one season doesn't carry over to the next, and you are vulnerable to elimination at any time. But in a format where the points do carry over, I don't think an additional prize on top of already carrying the most points is necessary. Just my two cents. I'd certainly roll with the majority though.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Something better IMO would be to give points something like this:

1st 12
2nd 10
3rd 8
4th 7
5th 6
6th 5
7th 4
8th 3
9th 2
10th 1

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I agree with W and Geez. It would just keeping adding the advantage to those who came first. And extra dollar/point for coming 1st seems better.

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

I don't agree with a budget bonus.
Still, I think winner and runner-up of every round deserve a bonus, maybe something like 6 and 3 points, respectively.
If someone wins or comes in second four or five times during the whole year, he well deserves an advantage over those who always finish, let's say, in top 7, without never winning or being runner-up.
It's the most similar thing to the IM coming to my mind. That's because a couple of wins and a couple of second places could offset a bad trimester where you finish in the bottom five and all the average or so-so rounds.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Regarding the rule changes, I think all of the ones originally proposed will pass with an overwhelming majority.

So, here's how the changes will be implemented.

Using only current IMDb Ratings - have already started being used.

Not keeping allotted PTA points only within the scope of the current season - will begin with the May-July season.

Reformulating prices for all films in a season, not just those in the final two months of it - will begin with May-July season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just a quick announcement: The Summer Season for Box Office Champions is now open for business.