Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2014

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

empire13
Clark Griswald

Re: Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2014

Post by empire13 »

Shouldn't we be getting a new one of these going soon for the 2015 calendar year? I've been studying.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yep, will be announcing it shortly. We'll miss out on Taken at this stage, but I don't think anyone will be too upset

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'll probably wait until February to do the first update in this version. That'll give the December films a good run, and there were very few films chosen in January, so that'll be like the halfway mark. Quickly looking at what was chosen, the one person who didn't pick NATM3 might have an edge, depending on what they chose instead, and the few people who chose Exodus will definitely regret that one.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I just realized that I was the only person without The Penguins Of Madagascar in my top 20 -- it's my second bench pick -- so that gives me an edge unless I lose two of my picks to date changes.

Also, the usually reliable Banks was the only person to pick Horrible Bosses 2, so he's made an unexpected stumble out of the gate, but he might have saved himself by having NATM3 as his second bench pick. Interesting.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NATM3 isn't really going to be a slate killer given it's gonna bring between 110 and 120 million dollars, which isn't gonna be much less than Into The Woods in the end. Exodus, Penguins and Horrible Bosses 2 are much more worrying, as they clearly won't come near $100M.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

With today's news that "Monster Trucks: Totally Not A Cars Rip-Off, We Swear" has been bumped to December, Spectre and Walleye have both activated films from their benches. Spectre now has Home, so it's probably not a huge difference, while Walleye now gets Gone Girl, the lucky sod.

And it now seems like "B.O.O.: Totally Not A Men In Black meets Monsters Inc. Rip-Off, We Swear" may never see the light of day, so a whopping six of us have lost our picks. Banks gets Pitch Perfect 2 off his bench, Brock gets Ant-Man, Chien loses his 2nd bench pick, Shaan gets Mad Max, Spectre loses his second and final bench pick, and UDM gets Fantastic 4.

And in case you were wondering, not one of us picked American Sniper, so you can all rest easy since we're all in the same boat.

We're not quite to the half-way point yet, so it's a bit early to start plugging in numbers, but the next movie to have an impact on the standings will be Fifty Shades Of Purple. Chien, Six, and Surfer all picked it, so maybe bondage is considered more socially acceptable once you leave puritanical North America, while Brock is just a freak who ranked it way higher than anyone else. Shaan and Walleye hedged their bets and still have it on their benches. Their cold, hard, splintery, wooden benches, perfect for sitting on, if you're into that sort of thing.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:the next movie to have an impact on the standings will be Fifty Shades Of Purple. Chien, Six, and Surfer all picked it, so maybe bondage is considered more socially acceptable once you leave puritanical North America
Wait, it's not socially acceptable in North America ? We have lessons of it in high school here, between mathematics and philosophy. Obviously an option, but a popular one.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm betting on Pitch Perfect 2 getting to $110M, so it's not an awful thing picking it up off my bench.

And I'm guessing Thanksgiving isn't the best time to released an R rated comedy...damn.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:Chien loses his 2nd bench pick
Well as long as my first bench pick (Exodus) doesn't come into play....
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Brock is just a freak who ranked it way higher than anyone else
I plan on getting laid in the movie theater to this movie...freaky enough? My wife is obsessed with these books.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Brockster wrote:I plan on getting laid in the movie theater to this movie...freaky enough?
Well if the film is as successful as is suspected, your neighbors in the row will be pleased... :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Fly your freak flag proudly, Brock, but be considerate. Those movie theatre floors are sticky enough already.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John, didn't you promise us a first update on this in February ? ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:John, didn't you promise us a first update on this in February ? ;)
It seemed like a good idea at the time, but my life has become a whole lot busier since I said that. I haven't even begun my research for the upcoming yearly draft, and I'll be out of town on the weekend of the 24th, so I don't know when I'll find the time to do an update for this game.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

To tell you the truth I haven't started researching for the draft either. Maybe it's time to do that.
As for the update, well, researching for the draft will be a good way to kill time ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur