Awards Draft

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Awards Draft

Post by W »

I was thinking before all the Oscar Bait films come out, we could have a draft of films, actors/actresses, directors, etc and have a point system for wins/nominations. We could include just the Oscars, or the Golden Globes, SAG, etc as well.

I was thinking we could fill a roster with 3 films, 3 actors, 3 actresses, 1 director. I was thinking 5 points for a win, 1 for a nomination... Maybe a lowered system for lesser awards.

Let me know what you think.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Awards Draft

Post by numbersix »

Sounds fun. I'm up for it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It sounds interesting yeah.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Sure. I'm surprised we hadn't done this before.

EDIT: If we do a full slate of 10 films, 5 actors, 5 directors, etc, it will make it less likely that anyone will pick identical slates. Unless you're suggesting an ordered draft where each film/actor/director can only be picked once.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Yeah i'll give it a go.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

JE, I think that's exactly what he is suggesting. I would be interested.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm definitely in, although I can't wrap my head around how the slates/scoring would work.

Meesa dumb :D
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yep, that's the thought. I'm not completely sure what the scoring system would be, but it would be different for people and films, I think. I can change anything at all, but this is what I'm thinking:

Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTA, SAG, People's Choice, whatever... Oscars count x2, and we can use different scoring for each awards, cutting out awards that make no sense (favorite action movie star?) or lowering/raising the point system to match the awards. In general, this is what I'm thinking.

Films:
Best Picture: 2 points nomination, 5 points win
acting/directing categories: 1 point nomination, 2 points win (or we could cut this out all together since its taken care of already)
Technical categories: 1 point win

Actor/director:
2 points nomination, 5 points win

Let me know wht yo want to do for the specifics.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I agree with John that we should pick a large number of nominees - it'll be the risks and surprises that will win this game.

Awards we should consider:

Oscars - duh
Golden Globes
BAFTAs
SAG
PGA
WGA
Independent Spirit Awards
Gotham Awards
AFI
National Board of Review

Should we include any of the major Critics awards - LA Critics Circle, NY, Chicago, etc?

Here's a comprehensive list: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film- ... tions-2012

And we should keep the categories as standard as possible - film, director, actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, script, foreign, etc. And whatever it wins in it gets points for (e.g. Best Musical/Comedy in the Globes is as much as Best Drama)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Are you saying that you get credit for every single award that a film gets nominated for if you draft it?

I thought it would be more like if the first pick is Wolf Of Wall St. for Best Picture, someone else can still draft Martin Scorsese for Best Director, and someone else can draft Wolf Of Wall St. for Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, etc.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh, I thought it would be more like a standard list where we all pick 10 nominees in each selected category, and gets points for every win and nomination.

The draft system hadn't occurred to me, and I'm not sure I like it. Again, the system lacks balance if there are clear forerunners and not enough of a spread of awards. I don't like the idea of not being able to pick a film merely because someone else happens to be ahead of me (it works for a full year draft due to the amount of choices available)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I also prefer the idea of everyone submitting their list of 10 picks for Best Picture and 5 for everything else. There aren't enough clear front-runner picks to go around.

Plus, getting everyone together at the same time for a draft is such a pain. Once a year is probably enough for drafts.