Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2013

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Box Office Mega Contest - Fall 2013

Post by numbersix »

Trash talk time...

John, a fairly similar list to mine (oh, and fuck you Pixar). I ended up not including Frozen as I'm worried that it'll be affected by the amount of films out during that period. It's the only major kids movie in December aside from Walking with Dinosaurs, so I think it'll have good legs, but right now it feels more like Epic. The Familymoon is an interesting one, but the logic is sound - Sandler going for another PG-13 film during the summer suggests it'll cross 100m, especially with Drew Barrymore involved. Maleficent is a big question mark at the moment and right now I can't help but compare it with Mirror Mirror. I also have little faith in Mr Peabody and Sherman.

Chien, interesting to see Walter Mitty make it into your Top 20. This could be a huge success, especially because of the intentionally "epic" trailer. I could be kicking myself for not picking it. Edge of Tomorrow has potential though Tom isn't what he used to be, especially in the US. I think Godzilla will fail to cross 100m and its release date suggests it'll be more like Battleship. And I really think Guardians of the Galaxy will bomb - no recognisable superheros and no real chance of identifying with the rise of an individual (like Iron Man). And it has a talking squirrel.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Walter Mitty is a bet, I have a very good feeling about Stiller's film, so I take my shot with it.
Edge of Tomorrow could fail to make a mark, like Oblivion, but this one should be much more action oriented, and in the heart of summer, it could do solid figures.
As for Guardians of the Galaxy, I'll stop strusting Marvel films once they flop, but since there hasn't been a flop yet, I believe it should be a blockbuster.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I forgot to comment about your Godzilla remark.
I'd say this is clearly a big question mark for now. No one really remembers fondly of Emmerich's film, and the director hasn't made a name for himself besides the very few who saw Monsters. But we haven't really seen anything so far, so if the first teaser is huge, I want to have it on my Top 20. Godzilla is a much more recognizable "brand" than Battleship was, and Amazing Spider-man 2 won't overshadow it like Avengers did to Battleship, so even though this isn't the best release date of the summer, there's still potential. And even though there's no A-list in the film, it's got a surprisingly interesting cast (Cranston, Binoche, Strathairn, Watanabe...). I'm thinking that even though on the paper, a Godzilla film isn't as hot as it could have been a few years back, I wouldn't be surprised to see it perform well.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'll save my trash talk until after the deadline, but I believe the talking squirrel Six refers to is actually a talking raccoon, but I agree that Guardians Of The Galaxy will struggle to match Green Lantern's numbers.

And speaking of deadlines, this is your final reminder that if you want to pick Cloudy 2 you need to get your picks in by the end of the day. And yes, I will be a hardass about that deadline.

BrocksterDuex
Nick Naylor

Post by BrocksterDuex »

2. Trannys 4
I think this already came out.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:... but I believe the talking squirrel Six refers to is actually a talking raccoon,
Actually, that changes everything. This will be a huge hit.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

According to my research, the talking alien raccoon is also an expert starship pilot, superb marksman, military tactician, physicist, neurosurgeon, and rock star.

Wait, some of those might be Buckaroo Banzai, another huge hit.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

My God is next summer a glut of comedies. Hard to see which one or two will be the huge breakouts at the moment. Oh well, here goes:

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
2. Transformers: Age of Extinction
3. How to Train Your Dragon 2
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Fast & Furious 7
8. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. X-Men: Days of Future Past
11. The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
12. Guardians of the Galaxy
13. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
14. Lego: The Movie
15. Anchorman: The Legend Continues
16. Tammy
17. 22 Jump Street
18. Frozen
19. 300: Rise of an Empire
20. The Familymoon

Bench

The Wolf of Wall Street
Ender's Game

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Wowww, Walter Mitty #11 ! And I didn't think anyone else would put it in their Top 20 !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
2. Transformers: Age of Extinction
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
4. How to Train Your Dragon 2
5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
6. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
7. Captain America: Winter Soldier
8. Thor: The Dark World
9. Fast & Furious 7
10. Mr. Peabody and Sherman
11. X-Men: Days of Future Past
12. Rio 2
13. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
14. Tammy
15. Guardians of the Galaxy
16. A Million Ways to Die in the West
17. Lego: The Movie
18. 22 Jump Street
19. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
20. The Wolf of Wall Street

Bench

Anchorman: The Legend Continues
Frozen

You have no idea how hard it was not to climb out on a limb and put 12 Years a Slave on my list.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I was tempted by both A Million Ways To Die In The West and Mr. Peabody, especially since most years a number of animations make the top 20. Just couldnt quite squeeze them in but wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the top 20 at all. Lego is my big hope in terms of early 2014 animations though, I just see it appealing to everyone and it could be huge. As for Walter Mitty, I don't know, I've just been warming to how Stiller has long been BO gold for Xmas and with a concept that will appeal to a large audience, I can see this, alongside The Hobbit, being the big winner of the period. It should hold very well.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And the deadline for picking Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 has officially passed.

If you want to enter a slate that doesn't include Cloudy 2 you have until the end of day Monday.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

What prevnted me from picking A million ways todie in the west was the fact there are only so few comedy westerns that struck gold at the BO. MacFarlane has Ted's huge success under his belt, but I'm not sure that means gold will strike a second time.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I just couldn't leave A Million Ways to Die in the West off my list. Much like McCarthy and Tammy, everything that McFarland touches turns to gold, so I had to include it.

It was awfully difficult to finish my list, though. I went back and forth on several films (Ender's Game, Godzilla, The Monuments Men, Mitty, Jupiter Ascending, The Wolf of Wall Street, Noah and Frozen). In the end, only Mitty and The Wolf of Wall Street made the list, and Frozen the bench.

The film on many lists that I couldn't bring myself to consider is 300: Rise of an Empire, even though its title includes my handle. Without Zach Snyder and Gerard Butler, I can't see it taking off. Of course, I've been wrong so many times it wouldn't surprise me if it hit $200 million.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

At first I didn't think I would include the 300 sequel either, but the first one made so much money that even if most people won't turn back for this unnecessary sequel, there's enough people who love 300 to make this one an easy $100 million earner.
Fluctuat nec mergitur