Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2013

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Box Office Top 20 - Fall 2013

Post by numbersix »

Wait, this isn't a bankrupts league?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The summer movie season is almost over, and I’m back at work looking for ways to avoid doing any actual work, so that means it’s time for another update in the Fall edition of the Box Office Top 20 game.

First off, congratulations to Banks who is the clear winner in this game, thanks to the surprising over-performance of Guardians Of The Galaxy and TMNT. I thought this would go down to the wire, but in the end Banks blew right by me, powered by talking raccoons, trees, turtles, and sewer rats. Banks was the only player to recognize the potential of TMNT, which is already at $150 million, and I was one of the few to not pick GOTG, and those moves were the final pieces of the puzzle that ultimately allowed Banks to cruise to victory.

I’m still hanging on to the silver medal, but if GOTG keeps rolling along the way it has been, second place may still be up for grabs. Chien is approximately $50-$60 million behind me, and if GOTX still has that much gas in its tank he will surpass me, and everyone breathing down Chien's neck has a chance at usurping me as well. After its first four weekends, GOTG has earned almost as much as the original Iron Man, but that movie’s second month was June, not September, so that could prevent GOTG from reaching the $300 million mark, but I’ve underestimated this movie several times already so we probably won’t know the final outcome for another month.

Here’s the standings as of today, including projections for movies still in theatres:

The imminent arrival of September also means it’s almost time to launch the 2014 edition, which I’ll be doing by next Monday. For those of you who didn’t participate this time, the rules can be found on the first page of this thread, and without a lot of potentially huge blockbusters this September, you should have a full month to look ahead and see if you can predict what the biggest movies will be between Labour Day and the end of next summer.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I'm certainly looking forward to doing this again, thanks for keeping the updates John. Maybe I can do better this year :) I will allow myself a slight pat on the back for picking Guardians so close to the top of my list though :)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

(This Simpsons marathon on FXX is really getting to me...)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Already looking at movies opening in this timeframe, I feel it's going to be much easier to pick 20 movies than it was last year...given what we know about how the year has turned out so far, no wonder it was so hard to pick last year...I had a really hard time after my top 10 or so.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Mmmm... It's gonna be close for silver.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And here's the final results, up to and including the box office from September 30th:

Guardians Of The Galaxy just kept going and going and eventually knocked me right out of medal contention. Stupid racoon!

Congratulations again to Banks for putting the rest of us to shame, and to Chien and Surfer for sneaking into the silver and bronze medal spots.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Congratulations Banks !! I'm glad with the Silver medal !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And, in case you were wondering, here's the best possible slate you could have chosen:

Maleficent was only picked three times, Gravity was only picked once, and no one picked Divergent or Neighbours, although Banks had the former on his bench, just to show off.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Interesting to see there's not one film under the $150M bar.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

(well except the bench movies of course)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I noticed that too. I usually look for movies with the potential to earn at least $130 million, which would have been enough to crack the top 20 in most recent years, but the bar was raised a little bit this round.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It comforts me in my choice not to grab Into the Woods this season (because it definitely won't reach those heights) ;) ;) ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

If we stopped counting on January 15th I might actually agree with you. ;-)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well it's not like Into the Woods is gonna get all the Oscar noms Les Misérables got, which enabled it to last so long at the BO... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur