2013 Super Contest - Pick the Top 20 Films

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: 2013 Super Contest - Pick the Top 20 Films

Post by Buscemi »

Chienfantome wrote:Seeing the sequel to Hunger Games so low is quite a surprise indeed, as is Despicable Me 2 being only 16th on your list. If I was more of a gambler, I'd say this one might end up the number 1 animated film of 2013...
Despicable Me feels overexposed about the constant marketing and the Minions being everywhere. Also seeing how The Lorax (from the same people) reused a lot of jokes from Despicable Me, I'm not expecting Toy Story 2 here.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

And yet no Twilight film ever came close to reaching $400M at the BO... so it's gotta be more than that ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:
Geezer wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Basically, the first film amounted to "Twilight in middle America"
No... no it really didn't.
Look, The Hunger Games only got greenlighted because of Twilight.
No... no it really didn't....
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:Despicable Me feels overexposed about the constant marketing and the Minions being everywhere. Also seeing how The Lorax (from the same people) reused a lot of jokes from Despicable Me, I'm not expecting Toy Story 2 here.
Let the charm of the minions do its work, you'll see ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Chienfantome wrote:And yet no Twilight film ever came close to reaching $400M at the BO... so it's gotta be more than that ;)
For one, I went to see The Hunger Games. I have never paid to see a single Twilight movie. And I'm pretty sure I've never lived in Middle America, nor do I represent the area or the stereotypical prejudice Boosh has associated it with. The Hunger Games had a much bigger target audience, hence the bigger box office.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Someone needs to put Boosch and "Middle America" in a room and lock them there until they settle their differences.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

And The right (aka "middle America") want to live in a totalitarian society because they share a different opinion than you... They say the same thing about the left (Obamacare et al).

The minions are doing the exact opposite of what you claim. They keep it relevant and are great comic relief that both kids and adults love.

And you're semi-right about Hunger Games may not have been green lit without Twilight, but because they were specifically looking for another franchise. They aren't the same thing, though and even if some of the audience overlaps, Hunger Games has a different and bigger audience because it includes guys. I have a feeling that someone would have bought the rights to the series considering how huge it is. Also both owe a Hell of a lot to Harry Potter and the YA craze it led to.

And hobbit and Hunger Games are no more related than any other two blockbusters audience-wise.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

On the totalitarian society thing: much of middle America is conservative and 65% of Republicans agree with everything the Tea Party (a fringe extremist sect) says. And what does the Tea Party want? A totalitarian society where everyone that isn't a rich white man is a slave. The Hunger Games somewhat reflects this point of view (along with an obsession of violence as solving your problems) and though not written as a right-wing tract, could easily be seen as one. Sure, you could also say that the kids are trying to overthrow the society but that part hasn't happened yet.

When that part happens, watch said audience start to hate the series. If Twilight was Harry Potter for Mormons and evangelicals, then The Hunger Games is Twilight for the violent and money-obsessed.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Hunger Games very much shows the inequal society to be bloated and immoral. The whole ethos of the series is how wrong this is and how it promotes overthrowing such totalitarianism. The money-obsessed are shown to be evil and gluttonous.

I think you're description of The Tea Party is misguided. My understanding is that they resent any sort of government intervention, and like Ayn Rand they want a society with as much "freedom" and as little laws imposed on them as possible. Isn't that the opposite of totalitarianism? This of course does mean that The Hunger Games will appeal to them ("overthrow overbearing governments like Evil Obama's social healthcare"), but it's also broad enough to appeal to anyone who dislikes the total constriction of freedom as presented in this series.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You really have no concept of the real world. I think, maybe, you've spent too much time watching movies, and have crafted some mighty wild fantasy land that you believe is fact.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

If you look at what the Tea Party is,about (though it doesn't represent the average Republican) it's all repeal this, stop this, take away this, spend less, etc. That is the OPPOSITE of totalitarianism.

It seems like you want to take the fringe extremists of the group you don't share ideology with and say most of the group are those extremists.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Wrestler
Private Pyle

Post by Wrestler »

Well I'm pretty much done with the whole "middle america" argument but here is my line up for the super contest:
1. Catching Fire
2. Iron Man 3
3. Hobbit 2
4. Star Trek 2
5. Man of steel
6. Despicable Me 2
7. Monsters University
8. Wolverine 2
9. Thor 2
10. Hangover 3
11. Oz Great and Powerful
12. Fast and Furious 6
13. Ender's Game
14. The Host
15. Gi Joe 2
16. Grown ups 2
17. Smurfs 2
18. Cloudy 2
19. Frozen
20. Lone Ranger
Bench 1. Pacific Rim
Bench 2. Planes

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

W wrote:Am I right that Hunger Games 2 doesn't actually involve the games? If so, it could be a step down financially, but not that far.
No, there is another Hunger Games in Catching Fire.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Your interpretation of HUnger Games baffles me a bit, Boosch. I'm not a fan of the film, but you seem to want it to be a certain way and choose to interpret it in the way that goes along your preconceived idea of it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Can we get back to the game purpose of this thread? lol

I have a question...do December films only count for how much they make in December alone? Or will the tally for this be taken, say in February or March, to allow it's total BO to come in?