THE OFFICIAL 2012 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: THE OFFICIAL 2012 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

empire13

Post by empire13 »

this is the year empire begins earning his moniker. i would apologize for referring to myself in the 3rd person, but as an empire i feel it is appropriate. an empire cannot refer to itself in the 1st person. that would be absurd!!! the empire has spoken.

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

Finally logged in and joined all 4 leagues, Shryke.
Current Film Watchlist:

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire
Monkey Man
Civil War
Spy X Family: Code White
The First Omen
The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here is the current count:

Ultimate FY: 54
Ultimate HY: 49
Box Office FY: 57
Box Office HY: 52

Congratulations everyone, this is now officially the LARGEST field we have ever had for the four tournaments. Hopefully we can avoid having 4-8 people drop out in the first few months!

Here is a list of players who have not yet signed up:

A_Roode (all four)
aquamann2001 (has only signed up for the Ult FY so far)
binkley (all four)
Mister Informative (all four)
SamIam1000 (both BO tourneys only)

Binkley apparently had to be hospitalized while on vacation, but will be joining as soon as he gets home. Don't know why Aquamann only entered one tourney, but I'm not worried about that.

That just leaves Roody and Mr. I... two people I was looking forward to have back in the fold. Wonder if they've changed their minds!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well Shryke thats not exactly true. The first year we had like 100 people in them.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, make that the most we've had since we joined the MMG site.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I've joined the all the Super Leagues, and the Bankrupts (One For The Money & Gone!), as well as the Regulars.

It's been years since I won a league - that stops now!!!! Muahahah
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

You are underestimating the power of women who read on the former.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think women are starting to hate Katherine Heigl as much as everyone else does.
And look at One Day - really popular book for chicks that failed at the box office.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But One Day and the Stephanie Plum series are completely different. One's a dime-a-dozen weepie, the other is a consistently successful crime/adventure series that has a best-seller every year. Also, One Day's film version needed good reviews to succeed while Stephanie Plum is more or less critic proof.

And Heigl somewhat recovered with Life As We Know It (not a big hit yes, but it did better than Warner Bros.' low expectations) while Killers' failure was more of Kutcher's fault (casting him as the lead of a big-budget tentpole when he stopped being relevant was an enormous mistake).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

I think the website is down. I was gonna register for all the leagues right now and its not coming up.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I got a message from donnie that the Italians are attempting to move the site to a new server.

For the meantime, we should probably expect connection difficulties. Just be patient.

I have my fingers crossed that when the dust settles, we can get back on track with regular weekend updates.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are some general announcements, that I hope everyone will read.

First off, pretty much everyone that registered for the Super Leagues has entered all of the tournaments they said they would, with the exception of binkley (who was hospitalized recently but promises to enter) and former Fantasy Moguls players A_Roode and Mister Informative. They may yet enter, but for now, they are not returning my repeated inquiries. Other than that, there are only two players that neglected to enter all the tournaments they said they would, and then the field will be complete.

Up-to-date number of entries:

Ultimate Full Year: 56 (+1)
Ultmiate Half Year: 51 (+1)
Box Office Full Year: 59 (+2)
Box Office Half Year: 54 (+2)

Great turnout, everyone! (It's not too late to bring others in...)

In other news, I have news from donnie, which I have been instructed to share with you. In her own words:
Hi Patrick,

Good news, bad news.

The good news are that JcK has found the problem with the old server and IMDB and that now the leagues are working. Mario, with me, is updating all leagues since October and I've checked that now all numbers for pta are correct. Because we have a lot of leagues to update (how many leagues are opened!) we haven't yet finished, but I am sure that everything will be ok by tomorrow (at least up to the next Imdb's setting change...). Meanwhile I have added the available movie posters and moved the two movies that have been posponed. Mario tomorrow will add the new March movies.

The bad news is that the Facebook thing is failed: our client (The Space) is experiencing some problems with the internet marketing division and the CEO now has blocked all new projects on the web or Facebook. This has been a serious problem (even in terms of cost) for us, and now we must start looking around for a new client. Their behavior has been unfair, because they have asked to us a lot of features of the game and always have promised to sign the contract: unfortunately they never did it and now we are not more available to wait their indecisions and delays.

However... this bad thing may become a good thing because we have decided to go ahead with the mmgmogul 2.0, upgrading the game, adding the features that are needed (that you have requested sometimes ago...) and, maybe, trying to set the website not only for italian people but also for your market. The game always will be free of charge for players, but maybe we can find sponsors or interested media. We'll see.
For example, I've talked with our players about the W's tournament (one vs. one) and we are interested! So, Bebo and JcK are looking for the possibility to create a new game page where this championship may be organized (not manually... but with mechanisms of updating as for the standard leagues).

Do you imagine this? The American championship and the Italian Campionship and... at the end, the Italian champ against the American champ!
Maybe we may collaborate to find a scoring system for this championship now that we must create all the new page: what is the W's solution?

Here are some improvements to the MMG site that I am hoping will, in the near future, be implemented:

Top Priority:
1. Getting the English page's lineup pages to display our remaining "balance" in dollars, not euros, and to have them be accurate
2. Having individual movie stats on the standings page

Lesser Priority:
3. Updating the "Top Movies" on the main page, which has displayed Little Fockers, Blue Valentine and Phil Ochs for over a year now
4. Adding new movie posters to the array that are programmed in as background decorations... I don't think there is a poster in that array that is less than 2 1/2 years old.

Do any of you have any other suggestions for improvements besides these that could reasonably be implemented? Feel free to discuss here.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I like that they are excited for the one on one tournaments, but for that sort of thing to really take off, the slates have to be blind. You can't be able to see what your opponent is taking and adjust accordingly :(

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I replied in the one on one thread, but here's how I envisioned the 1v1
The scoring system for BO is Total Box Office (of course).

Ultimate causes a bit of a problem because someone could win T5 and BO and the other person could win PTA and IMDB rating, and this could happen over and over and over again. So I thought of a formula like T5 pts + PTA pts + IMDb/2 + BO/$20 M. It could easily be tweaked one way or another and strategies would have to be tweaked during the seasons where box office is more plentiful. We could either convert the ultimate league into points with the formula above or use it as a tiebreaker, whichever you prefer. I feel using it as a tiebreaker makes it much more head to head myself.

It'd also make it a whole lot easier if you could tell who last made a change to their slate in the case of both picking the exact same slate. In that case, whoever locked it in first would win.
Off the top of my head for changes:
- The option for "blind" slates.
- Easier sign up for English speakers and making it more clear what the site is. Right now, or at least when I signed up, you had to be told exactly what you were doing from an outside source (aka this forum).
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.