The Super Contest Rises?

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Re: The Super Contest Rises?

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Yeah they all look like solid choices. I just would be kicking myself if news leaks January 18th that hobbit is delayed. But I guess it is a long shot that it ends up coming down to a tie breaker and you've got solid replacements on the bench. Is that your order of replacement titanic 3d first alternate and battleship second? That should be cleared up for everyone. We shouldn't get to choose what to sub once any box office is on record.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Some real interesting choices, Boosch. I suspect my Top 9 will be the same as yours, with a slightly different order.

Surprised to see Hotel Transylvania and Frankenweenie in there, but I see your logic behind picking them. I thought you were down on The Hunger Games, what changed your mind? I still haven't made my mind up about how I think Men in Black 3 and John Carter, so I'm waiting it out for the moment.

Also 2 or three big movies you've omitted from your list that will probably make mine. Probably.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

So the list is locked once you post it or by February 1st?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Once you post your list it's locked. The deadline for posting is February 1st. No late sign ups allowed even if none of the movies chosen have been released yet. So people waiting for that summer movie preview issue of ew or empire or whatever will be out of luck. Also designate your bench movies as 1st alternate and 2nd alternate.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Yeah, Titanic 3-D is my first alternate. The excellent trailer reaction reports before Twilight influenced that. Battleship is my second alternate since it reminds me of Cowboys and Aliens rather than Transformers.

I put The Hunger Games on my list due to the planned Lionsgate/Summit merger. If it happens, it turns that series into Twilight's successor.

Men in Black 3 I included because of its prime Memorial Day weekend release date. And people still showed up for the second despite bad reception.

The Hobbit won't get pushed back. Jackson's working steadily on it and a trailer is supposed to be ready by the 21st.

And why I included Hotel Transylvania and Frankenweenie: name recognition. Hotel Transylvania has Adam Sandler, Frankenweenie has Tim Burton.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

After some thought here's my pick for the Top 20 of 2012.

1: The Dark Knight Rises
2: The Hobbit
3: Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt 2
4: The Avengers
5: The Amazing Spiderman
6: Madagascar
7: Ice Age
8: Skyfall
9: Rise of the Guardians
10: Brave
11: The Hunger Games
12: The Lorax
13: The Bourne Legacy
14: GI Joe 2
15: Taken 2
16: Dark Shadows
17: Men in Black 3
18: The Great Gatsby
19: Prometheus
20: Django Unchained

Bench
1: John Carter of Mars
2: Rock of Ages

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are my choices:

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 2
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
4. The Avengers
5. The Amazing Spider-Man
6. Brave
7. MIB3
8. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
9. Prometheus
10. Battleship
11. Ice Age: Continental Drift
12. The Bourne Legacy
13. Skyfall
14. The Hunger Games
15. Jack the Giant Killer
16. John Carter
17. Gravity
18. G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation
19. Wreck-It Ralph
20. World War Z

Bench:
1. The Expendables 2
2. I Hate You, Dad
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Interesting picks, Shryke. we all seem to agree on the Top 5, though I'd be surprised to see Twilight beat the Hobbits.

I think you're very high on MI3: it just seems too little too late, even though it's bound to make some money. How big do you think Prometheus will get? Battleship just looks like a mid-level performer stuck in the badlands of May. Gravity could surprise but I feel 100m is its limit. Wreck it Ralph is a good pick, I was seriously considering it. WWZ will not come near the Top 20. I feel a zombie movie over Christmas will have a limit. It won't even be as action/effects driven as I Am Legend was. Again, 100m is its limit.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Gravity won't do $100 million. Cuaron hasn't had a major hit outside of Harry Potter and Children of Men was an expensive flop. Also, the film has had a troubled production (with the large numbers of actors who pulled out and the production delays).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 2
4. The Amazing Spider-Man
5. Ice Age: Continental Drift
6. The Avengers
7. Brave
8. Skyfall
9. The Hunger Games
10. Rise of the Guardians
11. Jack the Giant Killer
12. Dark Shadows
13. Snow White and the Huntsman
14. Prometheus
15. Battleship
16.Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
17. The Bourne Legacy
18. MIB3
19. John Carter
20. Gravity

Bench:
American Reunion
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: The Super Contest Rises

Post by silversurfer19 »

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 2
4. The Amazing Spider-Man
5. The Avengers
6. Brave
7. Ice Age: Continental Drift
8. Skyfall
9. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
10. Men In Black 3
11. The Hunger Games
12. Rise of the Guardians
13. The Bourne Legacy
14. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
15. Jack the Giant Killer
16. John Carter
17. Snow White and the Huntsman
18. Wrath Of The Titans
19. GI Joe: Retaliation
20. Les Miserables

Bench:
Prometheus
Dark Shadows

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Interesting... most of you have Jack the Giant Killer. I never figured the film would be a huge hit. With the kids having plenty of options (Madagascar, Brave) and adults having Prometheus and arguably GI Joe and Spiderman coming up, to me it feels like a gap-filler, like Hellboy. It'll be liked but won't set the box office on fire. Also interesting that only Boosch and I picked Django so far. If the Coens can make a western and earn 175mil, so can QT.

UDM: The Hobbit beating TDKR? That's madness, though I could see both reaching for the 400mil mark. But considering how insanely well TDK did, I think its sequel will win. You're quite low on The Avengers (or are you just high on Ice Age and Spidey?). Snow White and the Huntsman looks like a bit of a risk, could do well but could be another Red Riding Hood or could just be lost in a summer of high profile films. Your bench is pretty odd, do you honestly think American Pie 26 will make 120mil? And Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? You better hope none of your Top 20 gets pushed back ;)

SS: The Hobbit beating TDKR as well? Madness! I also think you're a little high on MIB3. The 2nd made less than the first, and it just feels a little long and the plot looks a little dull. If Will Smith wasn't in it I'd label it a flop, but his name alone will draw an audience. I also can't see Wrath of the Titan doing that well... again 100mil is its limit. Very interesting pick with Les Mis. I certainly considered it but felt Gatsby would be the better "prestige" choice. Also good to see The Lorax on your list. It's the major kids movie of the Spring, and Horton Hears a Who was #10 in 2008.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Whoops forgot about this :s here's mine;

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
4. The Avengers
5. The Amazing Spider-Man
6. Brave
7. Skyfall
8. Prometheus
9. Men in Black III
10. The Bourne Legacy
11. Ice Age: Continental Drift
12. Dark Shadows
13. The Hunger Games
14. Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
15. GI Joe: Retaliation
17. John Carter
18. Jack the Giant Killer
19. Rise of the Guardians
20. Snow White and the Huntsmen

Bench

Battleship
Django Unchained
"Then telephone for an axe"

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: UDM: The Hobbit beating TDKR? That's madness, though I could see both reaching for the 400mil mark. But considering how insanely well TDK did, I think its sequel will win. You're quite low on The Avengers (or are you just high on Ice Age and Spidey?). Snow White and the Huntsman looks like a bit of a risk, could do well but could be another Red Riding Hood or could just be lost in a summer of high profile films. Your bench is pretty odd, do you honestly think American Pie 26 will make 120mil? And Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? You better hope none of your Top 20 gets pushed back ;)

The first 3 American Pies all made more than $100M, with the original cast back i think this could do just as well. As for Abe Lincoln, Wanted came out of nowhere too. I would have picked gatsby and miserables, but they are much riskier picks that could be moved or just go no where if they don't go wide. Take this year for example, there hasn't been one oscar contender that has done much beyond limited.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

If you adjust for inflation, the first 3 Scream movies made over $120m, and Scream 4.... well... you know ;)