THE OFFICIAL 2015 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Different user set-up games offered up by different members. Have fun!

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: THE OFFICIAL 2015 FANTASY GAME THREAD

Post by JohnErle »

Genius! So that's how you've been able to juggle a GF and this site all these years. Teach me, wise one!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well I've specifically chosen my GF according to her birthday, obviously, that solved the problem immediately. She was born in the middle of September, which is perfect because box-office and game-wise, nothing happens in the middle of September.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Only have a few left to hear from.

Brockster
ColoredXIII
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

One week to go in the Mini-Supers!

Box Office:

1. Six, $1.549B
2. Empire, $1.478B
3. JohnErle, $1.470B
4. Shryke, $1.455B
5. Chien, $1.439B

Way to go, Six!

Ultimate:

1. Shryke, 56 pts
2. bestfilm, 53 pts
T3. Empire, 52 pts
T3. Chien, 52 pts
5. Six, 46 pts

Liking my odds!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I knew it was only a matter of time before I tumbled and fall in this competition...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Well, we picked up 5 more PTA points and a very hefty IMDB rating for Wild Tales, so perhaps that will help some...
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Sorry for the delay, I just emailed you Shryke.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Finishing the last of my moving, and I won't have Internet at my new house until Monday. Until then, I'll have to communicate using my work computer.

Those of you on the pricing panel, get your schemes in to me by Monday, if possible. We have to start formulating our Round Three slates ASAP.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I have not yet made the changes to the slates for those who e-mailed me, but I promise I will when I get Internet up and running at my house. Don't worry!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MINI-SUPERS FINAL RESULTS

BOX OFFICE

Winner: numbersix, $1,583,037,229
Runner-up: Shrykespeare, $1,517,600,161
3rd place: empire13, $1,510,028,484

Well done, Six!

ULTIMATE

Winner: Shrykespeare, 63 pts
Runner-up: bestfilm, 56 pts
3rd place: empire13 and Chienfantome, 50 pts

YAY!!!! My first victory in a LONG time!

REGULARS ULTIMATE (DEC)

Winner: numbersix

REGULARS BOX OFFICE (DEC)

Winner: JohnErle

This will be the final Regulars League until further notice.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Congrats to Six and Shryke !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

PROPOSED RULE CHANGES:

I would like as many people as possible to weigh in on this.

When we were using MMG, we were bound by several rule constraints. Now that we are on our own, we need to decide if we are going to keep those constraints or change the way certain aspects of the game are done.

I'll make these proposed changes as simple as possible.

OLD RULE: A film's User Rating is exactly what's in IMDb. If a film has less than 400 votes, however, the Rating used for the game is the average between what the Rating is NOW and what it was when the season started.

RULE CHANGE: Since I'm doing this on my own, this is not up for a vote. I propose that the User Rating we use for game purposes is whatever IMDb says it is NOW, rather than averaging it out, regardless of if it has 5 votes or 50,000. I always thought it was a stupid rule anyway. This is an executive decision.

OLD RULE: On MMG, movies were given two prices, a Regular Price and a Reduced Price (for both Ultimate and Box Office). The Reduced Price only counted if the film was released in the last four weeks (not one month, FOUR WEEKS) of a season.

PROPOSED CHANGE: Instead of determining prices for each season only for the films in the last two months of the season, we reconfigure ALL THREE MONTHS of films, each and every time. This means that every three-month season is completely independent of each other, and the pricing schemes for all films will reflect that. For example: Avengers 2 could be $50 in one league, $60 in the second and $70 in the third, depending on its competition.

OLD RULE: Films were included in the game at the moderator's (my) discretion.

PROPOSED CHANGE: We include a lot more films. I try to limited the count to no more than five per weekend. Of course, there are exceptions, such as when a myriad of high-profile films all come out together (like on Xmas weekend), or postponements have caused a logjam, or whatever. But we can always increase the number of films, especially given how many are listed on Box Office Mojo. There are two downsides: first, you never know which indie films are going to report their numbers, and some don't. Those that don't are usually removed from the game and anyone who picked them can replace them without penalty. And second, the pricing panel will be harder (and I'll have a lot more work to do).

PROPOSED CHANGE: We keep the included films to my discretion, but if anyone on the pricing panel notices a worthy film on BOM that I have left off of the monthly pricing scheme, and lets me know early enough on so that I can make the rest of the panel aware of it, we can add that film to the game without too much headache.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

All are ones I'd like changed. Also the auto-giving PTA points to the first weekend of the month. Why should a film that averages $300 PTA get points when there's a holdover that gets $17k?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote: I'll make these proposed changes as simple as possible.

RULE CHANGE: Since I'm doing this on my own, this is not up for a vote. I propose that the User Rating we use for game purposes is whatever IMDb says it is NOW, rather than averaging it out, regardless of if it has 5 votes or 50,000. I always thought it was a stupid rule anyway. This is an executive decision.

PROPOSED CHANGE: Instead of determining prices for each season only for the films in the last two months of the season, we reconfigure ALL THREE MONTHS of films, each and every time. This means that every three-month season is completely independent of each other, and the pricing schemes for all films will reflect that. For example: Avengers 2 could be $50 in one league, $60 in the second and $70 in the third, depending on its competition.

PROPOSED CHANGE: We keep the included films to my discretion, but if anyone on the pricing panel notices a worthy film on BOM that I have left off of the monthly pricing scheme, and lets me know early enough on so that I can make the rest of the panel aware of it, we can add that film to the game without too much headache.
I'm all with you on your executive decision. It would be a lot more work for you for a very minimal, if any, gain.

I'm obviously in favor of change 2, considering I suggested it ;)

I like your second suggestion on change 3, giving the community a chance to say "this film should be added, it has serious potential" versus just trying to include everything. That would get very clunky and like you mentioned, make pricing very difficult and time consuming. But letting someone argue for an individual film's inclusion is worthwhile, I think.

I also agree with W. The automatic PTA points for the first weekend of a season should go. It never made any sense.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Honestly, I didn't even know how the IMDb rating worked, and I had no idea about any reduced price, so I'm fine with both.

And I'm good with the pricing panel helping to determine what films are included.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife