Cord Cutting Advice

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Cord Cutting Advice

Post by Brockster »

Hey guys, I probably trust you all more than anyone when it comes to this subject. I've been thinking about quitting cable for a few months now. The bill is just so expensive and I really don't watch that many channels. I'm paying $160 right now for cable and internet (I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime and will keep those). I was thinking of going with YouTube TV. It's $50 per month and even if I get a $40-50 per month internet bill that's still saving money. YouTube TV doesn't have all the channels I like. For example, they don't have the History channel...however, I could download the app on my smart TV and use my mother in laws cable sign in and watch what I want from that. I've heard youtube TV is good for sports too. I had never cut the cord in the past because it was a pain in the ass trying to stream college football and basketball, but it looks like that's not an issue anymore. YouTube TV has ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, Big Ten Network, etc. So I think I'm covered.

Have any of you done this already? If so, what do you suggest?

Thanks guys!

W
Norman Bates

Re: Cord Cutting Advice

Post by W »

If you can use the login for History then you can use the login for Fox Sports and ESPN. I streamed the Women’s World Cup on Fox Sports and watch ESPN from my parents’ account (DISH) on my Apple TV. HULU+CBS should get you through everything else. I think CBS was $100 per year ad free and HULU is $11.99 per month ad free. Well under YouTube TV.

Besides those two I pay for:
Netflix (used 50% off gift cards from eBay to stock up on the $15.99 highest priced plan)
Amazon Prime (need it for work anyway)
Criterion Channel ($90/year)

So with all that I’m under $600 for the year including the Prime I have anyway and you can go a bit cheaper with HULU and CBS ads. I’m sure I’ll get Disney Plus and I add HBO a month or so a year when needed. There’s also the library, which sounds funny but I’ve got the latest season of Better Call Saul and that’s the easiest way I found to get it.

Really, though find people you trust and just share some of this stuff. I’d do my CBS, HULU, Criterion for a Shotime, HBO, Starz, whatever. I’m sure other people you know would too.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I have Youtube TV and I really like it. I had Playstation Vue for a while, but then they dropped NESN and well, that was the end of them. I can't go without the Sox and Bruins. So I switched (which is INCREDIBLY easy for streaming services, no contracts involved). I pay $55 for internet and $50 for the service, and use my brother's Netflix and my Amazon Prime. The only thing I'm concerned about is that unlike PS Vue, Youtube TV does not have NFL Network, and thus no ability to get Red Zone (which I paid the extra ten bucks for the sports package to get on PS Vue). I really hope they add it sooner rather than later. Otherwise I'm going to have to figure out another way to get it because my Sundays will not be complete without Red Zone.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I haven't had cable since 2013. I had PS Vue for awhile, but I quickly realized I only used TV as background and I never watched anything purposefully.

I pay full Netflix ($15.99), split Amazon Prime with a friend ($3.99), get HBONOW for free (use my brother's login and he uses my Netflix), pay for a combination of Spotify Premium and Hulu ($9.99).

If there's a show I want to watch on a service I don't have (like Twilight Zone on CBS All Access), I'll create a new email and use it for a free trial. www.10minutemail.com is great or just adding a dot or number to my gmail.

I also paid $6 for a digital antennae on Amazon so I can see most NFL games, any primetime network show (spoiler alert - I don't watch any), and the NBA playoffs. But I usually go to a bar to watch football most Sundays anyway.

So I pay $30/mo for everything I need.

If you're savvy with Kodi, there's plenty of streaming services that are $10/mo for like every channel in the world, including PPV. That being said, I'd use a VPN for that as it's pretty illegal :lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

We tried Kodi for a while, but it was hard to keep up with tweaking it so it still worked. The picture quality sucked on a lot of shows too. It was a hassle. Oh yeah, it was illegal too...whoops!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

https://slickdeals.net/f/13257964-100-g ... =frontpage

Mind if I post cord cutting deals every once in a while?

Right now buy $100 in gift cards for Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV get $15 in Best Buy.
Also works with Audible, Uber, StubHub.

My Netflix is paid up for around another year already so I grabbed $100 in Hulu.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13257964-100-g ... =frontpage

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

Does anyone have fiber internet? If so, is it that much better than cable?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Disney + deal. Sign up this week and pay in advance for three years and it is $46.99/year ($140.97) averages out to $3.92/month. After that it renews at the yearly price. You have to jump through a couple hoops:

-Become a member of D23 (there's a free tier). (d23.com)
-Wait up to 36 hours for it to show up in your account (it took like 12 or so for me).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Disney really pulling out all the stops for this launch huh

$4/mo is insane, even if you have to pay it all up front ($141).
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Disney really pulling out all the stops for this launch huh

$4/mo is insane, even if you have to pay it all up front ($141).
By the time the deal is up it'll be as laughable as Blockbuster Online or one of the biggest things in the world.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I am probably going to have to jump on this!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Anyone want to split a Spotify Premium Family Plan? I made the mistake of getting a three month trial and my daughter "needs" it now. I don't care if you set it up, I set it up, or I'm added to an existing account.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Considering that Spotify Premium is ad-free, I'd call it a good need.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The inaugural movie lineup on Disney+ was released yesterday. Let's just say it's a dream for the weirdos that still obsess over DCOM's.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:The inaugural movie lineup on Disney+ was released yesterday. Let's just say it's a dream for the weirdos that still obsess over DCOM's.
I'm already locked in for three years. Really couldn't beat under $4/month when the exclusives start rolling out.

Anyone that wants to trade me login info for my Disney +, Criterion, or CBS I'd be up for it. I'd take whatever I don't have.