Kick-Ass

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Kick-Ass

Post by NSpan »

Just read the graphic novel in one sitting. Man, what a ride. I usually take my time with comics, but this one drew me in. (Road to Perdition recently had a similar effect). I gotta preface my positive review by first noting that Mark Millar's post-Tarantino dialogue is very hit-and-miss... the low-points reminded me Garth Ennis, who I don't especially adore. Despite that gripe, the story is A+ (the premise is kinda like a teen-Watchmen that never goes large-scale--and is better off for it). The characters are unforgettable. Cool art. Incredible action--which has major impact after all the "real world" set-up. Woulda liked to see more of Big Daddy, but Hit-Girl easily steals the show. I usually find Millar's work to be pretty light fare, but this one actually had some depth. The death of one character in particular is, I daresay, moving--even amidst total carnage. That said, I also laughed out loud more than once while reading. To sum it up: good story, good-action, good humor... Not much more to ask for. Check it out if you haven't already. And, if you're anything like me, you'll want to have it read before the movie comes out.

Speaking of which...

I've been saying that Matthew Vaughan is a director to keep an eye on ever since Layer Cake first came out--which was flawed, sure, but showed some amazing potential. Really looking forward to the movie, now. From what I've seen, Vaughan stays very, very close to the source material. A good thing. Hopefully he brushed up some of the dialogue--but, who knows, maybe some of it'll actually work better on screen better than it did on paper.

PS. As an aside, the copy I read happened to be bought at Nico's comic store--sold by Nico himself (with a nice little discount that I didn't even notice until after the fact--thanks buddy!). Nico/Swedge/Rick seems to be doing well, for anyone wondering. Kate (the gf) has the comic now, and Aly will be getting it next. Gonna pass it around to everyone willing to read it, and then we'll be lining up opening weekend for the adaptation.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Kick-Ass

Post by becs »

Aww I'm so jealous, I would love to be able to shop in Nico's comic shop! I did actually buy a house that is walking distance from both a library and a comic book store though, so I guess I have no excuse not to pick this up...
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I just got some free tickets to a preview next Thursday. I'm very excited!!

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

wow! waitin' with impatience for a mini-review from you...

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Wow, do you guys all live in Austin?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

How big do you guys think this movie is going to be? Hype seems pretty high for it, but just wondering all of your thoughts. Will this be a Nick Cage hit? Or a Nick Cage flop? He has plenty of both.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Definitely a hit. I see minimum $60m for this, though it could go as high as $100m.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I do worry about the large amount of free screenings and the fact that the US will be one of the last countries to get it though. Hot Tub Time Machine had many free screenings before release and it underperformed (but also it could be due to Hot Tub Time Machine not being as mainstream as some other comedies out there).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Wow, do you guys all live in Austin?
Just me, kate, & aly.. Nico lives near Dallas--where kate's recently-discovered birth-mother and her family reside (long story).. so me and kate are kinda making a regular trip of going up that way.. gonna try to make nico's comic shop a regular stop--and, naturally, drag him out of work and down to the pub whenever possible..

as for the Nic Cage hit-or-miss speculation--keep in mind that the marketing seems to really be underplaying the fact that he's even a major character.. so i don't think the success of the movie will be affected much by his presence.. (if anything, it'll boost sales once word-of-mouth gets around that his performance is great and his character is a badass...............................i hope)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Bump. You now have 24 hours to read the comic.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

A question for all non-Americans on the board: Was Kick-Ass marketed as a "British film" in your country? Or as an American film? Or was there not a distinction made?

(I feel that, upon reading up on it, the film is clearly a UK production... but damned if I'd necessarily assume that from the marketing or the film itself.)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The movie is supposed to be American but you can tell it was clearly filmed in Canada, due to many obviously Canadian features that weren't covered up by the mostly UK crew.

Also since Kick-Ass 2 has been announced for a 2012 release, I'm betting that the producers do a Bourne Supremacy and make it an in-name-only adaptation since things were changed for the movie (such as the Kick-Ass/Katie relationship).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:The movie is supposed to be American but you can tell it was clearly filmed in Canada, due to many obviously Canadian features that weren't covered up by the mostly UK crew.
I didn't mean to ask where the movie appears to be set.

I meant: is it perceived as a specifically-British (and specifically not American) production to the rest of the world?