A plea for help

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

A plea for help

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hey all,

I was contacted tonight by Marius Toma, who you all may remember as "delfinasu", a one-time member of our group.

He has, basically, come to me with his hand out, asking for help. He informs me that he has just been diagnosed with incipient Parkinson's Disease. He is currently on medication that leaves him pretty much immobile, with barely any ability to walk, eat, or communicate. He says he can only type with one finger on one hand.

He also says he is having severe financial difficulties, and that he needs $1400 to cover his medications, which are very expensive.

Now, I'm sure you're all thinking the same thing I am - namely, that we barely know him, and we only know him by name, and he is, for the most part, a complete stranger, and has been since he left our community. We have no reason to believe him, and no reason to believe that he'll pay us back - which he says he will by the end of the year - if we do send him money.

He says he can provide proof of his illness if need be.

I guess I'm basically asking everyone if they would like to pitch in whatever they can to help a fellow human being. Let me know if you are interested in contributing, and how much, and I will organize it. Even if we can't raise $1400, I'm sure we can at least send a portion of it. I think Paypal has a feature where we can all put money in a big electronic collection plate, and then send it to him.

Thanks for your support.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: A plea for help

Post by numbersix »

Not to be cruel, here, but I think we should be very careful about this. I know Delf helped set up the Italian game was is active on HSX, but that doesn't mean we know this person. Anyone friends with him on Facebook? If so, anything on there to corroborate this?

Not sure what country he is in, but unless it's the US wouldn't his med expenses be covered by public health? And why does he say $1400 instead of Euro?

I'm not saying don't help, but the internet is full of scammers, so I would be very cautious about calling everyone to help UNLESS we can 100% verify this.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I had the same reaction as Six. On the paper it sounds like an Internet scam like there are so many. Are you 100% sure Shryke this is Delfinasu who's been writing to you ? I remember Delfinasu being from Romania, I don't know the medical system there but it's the European Union... I don't know. I've checked to see on Facebook, even though Im not friends with him on it, but I don't see anything related to a disease of his.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Shall I have him provide proof?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think if it was one of our true regulars, you'd get a better response. We just don't know him well enough.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I mean, not to be rude, but at my job (I'm a fraud analyst), Romania is considered a High Risk country for fraud....

Plus, why come to us? He must know there's only like 10 of us regulars here, and he hasn't been here in years.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

even if it really is him, It's e a complete scam, the 'ill give it back by the end of the year' gives it away. along with other things

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Understood. Thanks for your candour, everyone. I know I'm a bit soft-hearted and gullible, but I just wanted to test the waters just in case there was any veracity to his claims.