I've written a story

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: I've written a story

Post by Buscemi »

Go with what you think is okay and if you want to, make your choice. It's your novel so you are the one in charge.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've changed the name of the main male bully (from Barry to Brent), but everyone else I'll keep the same (for now). I've thought about NOT naming the main character after me, but I can't bring myself to make the change.

Maybe I'm finally developing an ego...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I just noticed this, and holy crap, Shryke! 40,000 words in a week? That's crazy. Even Stephen King takes a break now and again. I can barely read 40,000 words in a week, let alone write them. Well, maybe I could, but 39,000 of them would suck.

I'd offer to help, but since I'm clearly not the target market I don't know what good it would do, unless I spotted the occasional typo or grammatical error, and then there's the time issue. I've got my own short fiction piece I've been working on with a self-imposed deadline of October 15th (it's a ghost story) and it's hard enough finding a chunk of time when I can write without being interrupted every 15 minutes.

I would definitely recommend changing all the names, though, especially the main character. Using real names probably helped you when you were writing it, but it's more trouble than it's worth to use real names, and if you're putting it out into the world the story isn't just yours any more, so you have to think about the reader. Having the narrator and the author share the same first name would be a major distraction unless you make it very clear that this story is autobiographical.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Point taken, John. I probably will change the name of the main character, but I haven't decided to what yet.

ETA: Okay, I've decided.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

If you were to get a publisher involved they would have a legal check done be a special agency, who would search for names and details and see if they match anyone who could be the actual person or based on someone well known. The point being is that if the character is portrayed in a negative light then the real person who sees a similarity could sue for similarities. Happens all the time in film when it comes to plot (Frozen is facing one, Avatar faced one a while back), but can happen with characters.

So if they are based in real people and those people could claim that a negative portrayal could affect their current life, then change the names.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

That Frozen one won't go anywhere. It comes off as the ramblings of a theatre student who took their love of Frozen too far (possible Scream reboot plot?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:That Frozen one won't go anywhere. It comes off as the ramblings of a theatre student who took their love of Frozen too far (possible Scream reboot plot?).
Oh without doubt. But the point is that there is a culture of litigation out there.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I've already changed the names of two of the male bullies. I guess I'll have to change the female one as well. Other than that, I think I'm good.

As I said before, this is why most of the primary characters based on actual people are not given last names.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

mate! That sounds awesome, ive always wanted to write some myself, but im no word master like yourself. If you email me a copy, id love to read it!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Your timing is perfect, Ron.

I've added a lot of content over the last week and completed my final revision today. The story has a much better flow to it now, IMHO.

Until I consult a professional editor or publisher, any changes I make from here on will be negligible.

I will send you a copy immediately!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Things are moving.

I have added a little bit more content to Joshua's Island (that will probably be the permanent title). I am in talks with two self-publishing companies, as well as someone to help do my book cover. Hopefully I can get this done by early next year.

Still waiting on feedback from a lot of people.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Does anyone out there know someone with some artistic talent would would be willing to take on a project cheaply? I am looking for someone to help me with my book cover. I have a very specific image in mind, and I am hoping to find someone who can make that vision come to life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I've had my manuscript reviewed by a professional, and have added even more content and revised the format. I am now screening copyeditors and proofreaders, and will be talking to a self-publishing company tomorrow.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sounds like you're pushing ahead, dude.

I've read the first few pages but it's slow going due to lack of free time at myself.

I have a mate who might be good for a cover, but it would have to be paid work. Email me if you want to know more

Cheers!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I think I've got an artist covered, or will soon. Thanks anyway, Six.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I got a day off tomorrow, will try get a solid read in then, been quite busy last week, and then dam computer games take the rest of my free time. Read first few pages, and so far (very early) its OK, spotted 1 grammer error, and also at first wasn't sure if this main character was a boy or girl lol.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale