Top 10 Videogames of the Year?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Top 10 Videogames of the Year?

Post by NSpan »

okay, i'm clearly biased... I only own a PS3 and a Wii--and I don't really do much online-gaming... nonetheless, here's my tentative list for the top 10 games of the year:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
Buzz! Quiz World (PS3)
Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Tiger Woods '10 (Wii)
Braid (PC)
House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)

and a few honorable mentions to arguably "new" releases that i think are worth remembering:
God of War Collection (PS3)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Fallout 3: GOTY Edition (PS3) --
still waiting on a patch for this buggy release
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS3)
(Re-release)

i might be missing someone obvious contenders.... any thoughts?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 10 Videogames of the Year?

Post by numbersix »

I don't have any consoles, which is probably a good thing, and my laptop isn't powerful enough to run the latest games. However I do have a DS, and the games I played and loved this year were GTA: Chinatown Wars, Zelda and the Spirit Tracks, and Henry Hatsworth (the latter being a brilliant mix of Tetris-like puzzle and difficult platform).

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

don't own a DS... but i'm a bit jealous when I see my friend's kid playing any exclusive from the Advance Wars series, the Fire Emblem series, the Castlevania series, the Final Fantasy series, or the Mario franchise on it...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was a little disappointed in the Mario games I've played, except for MArio Kart which is brilliant, especially when playing against friends. Super Mario Bros is ok but doesn't avail of the touchscreen in any way. Mario 64 has annoying controls.

Haven't played any Castlevania games. They were damn tough so I'm a little intimdated. Haven't played any FF or Fire Emblem (never heard of that) games, but the Advance War games are amazing. The DS is simply made for turn-based RPGs. And rhythm games.

You should consider getting a DS Lite later this year. With the pointless DSi and a larger version coming out soon, the Lite will lower in value substantially, and there's still a few years left (not to mention the Gameboy and SNES games you can download for free!)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Six, play the original Castlevania. Now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Castlevania's Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and (especially) Aria of Sorrow were all amazing on the Gameboy Advance... I imagine the DS's Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia would all be comparably great...

lol, sounds like i'm talking about Megadeth records and not videogames

the castlevania series alone has tempted me to get my hands on a DS eventually... though the small screen gives me a headache after extended use

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

i'm pretty sure Modern Warfare 2 is probably THE top game, haven't seen a game become so rapidly popular and gamers are obsessed with it. I have to hear about it pretty much ever day, hear conversations about it drifting over the cubicles at work, and even overheard a post office worker on his cell taking about it when i was dropping off a package.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Modern Warfare 2 is definitely the big one. I don't know how it became so popular though (considering that I didn't think Call Of Duty was popular enough to spawn four sequels).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

well, Modern Warfare 2's precursor was a smash hit..................so that might have something to do with it

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I used to play games all the time from when NES was the big deal all the way through PS2. The best game of all time (IMO) is Civilization II: Multiplayer Gold Edition. I haven't played too many new games this year. I own a PS2 (which I basically only play Rock Band/Guitar Hero and that's not often), a DS Lite (which I got last Christmas and haven't played since about April), and I just bought a Wii. With that said, my brother works a Gamestop and a few times a year I'll play games with him. The new ones were:

Uncharted 2 (The best game I played)
The New Super Mario Brothers Wii (the most fun I've had playing a game in some time because of the multiplayer ability.)
Modern Warfare 2 (I didn't get to into this one.)
Rock Band: Beatles (The guy I played with had a broken guitar and microphone, so I can't really rate it.)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance II Wii (The only one I bought and I'll probably trade it in for Mario Kart or something.)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Civilization Revolution for PS3 is definitely worth checking out... came out last year... been a big fan of the series since the beginning (along with Colonization and, especially, Master of Magic)... Ever play X-Com back in the old days? (Sorry if i've brought this up before, my mind is going)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to remake Super Mario Land (why does Nintendo treat it as a lesser Mario title ever though it was one of the most popular Game Boy games ever?).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I loved the X-Com games, especially Terror of the Deep. The 3rd one was okay, although I didn't care much for the real-time mode. I heard they updated the game a few years back and called them UFO or something, but never got around to playing them. But yeah, X-COM is one of the few games I replayed a few times.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

the highly anticipated "remake" turned out to be a in-name-only kinda thing.. major disappointment

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'm kinda surprised the first person to mention the best game of the year - MW2 - was becs, a girl. (No offense)

Although I liked the demo for Arkham Asylum but I never got to play the actual game. Yet.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife