Whatcha doin for the holidays?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Whatcha doin for the holidays?

Post by alyson »

Hey guys, just curious what everyone is doing for the holidays.

I for one will be going to visit my parents and family for a week in East Texas and doing a ton of cooking and Christmas movie watching (on the schedule so far is Die Hard, Love Actually and all the Harry Potters - not exactly Christmas movies I know, but they have a good christmas-y feel to them). Hopefully we'll also be going to see Sherlock Holmes.

Happy Holidays everyone :)
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Whatcha doin for the holidays?

Post by Buscemi »

I watched Lethal Weapon and Kindergarten Cop last night. I may watch Die Hard later this week.

I also plan to do some shopping and see some movies (Avatar today, Precious tomorrow and maybe Astro Boy, Up In The Air, Sherlock Holmes, The Road and a few others). But otherwise, it will be mostly sleeping in and watching DVD's (also on the slate: Romper Stomper, Total Recall, King Of New York and some others).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Just got home to west Texas from LA, going to just be spending time with family and friends, hopefully get Avatar this weekend and maybe Sherlock Holmes once it comes out.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My Christmas is Sunday going to the retirement home to see my grandmother. Christmas Eve I'm going over to my parents' house and doing the whole food/gifts thing probably trying to unsuccessfully get the Kobe/LeBron game on the tv. The next day I'm going to get up, do the whole "look what Santa brought you" thing for the first time by myself. Then I've got to get her ready for her mom to take her the rest of the day and probably do much of nothing...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Recouping money spent on presents with holiday pay for working friday and saturday.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Have to start and finish Christmas shopping. Going home for the better part of the week and just chill with family. My dad and brothers are waiting for me to get there to go see Avatar in IMAX and we'll probably catch Sherlock Holmes on Christmas Day.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm surprised about all the interest in Sherlock Holmes. It seems like the type of film that would die out after a week, considering the source material (Sherlock Holmes movies haven't been breakout hits: see Young Sherlock Holmes, The Great Mouse Detective and Without A Clue) and Guy Ritchie's track record (only one of his films has grossed more than $10 million and only two went wide, also he had that those embarassing failures Swept Away and Revolver).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

How many Sherlock Holmes films have came out in the past twenty years? None... That's how many. There's never been a big blockbuster budgeted film that has came out about Sherlock Holmes that I can find, they all seem to be made for tv. So really, there's no real equal out there that you can compare it to.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

You should remember the people here voicing interest are also not the average viewer by any means either, many of use have likely seen Sherlock Holmes films of the past AND enjoy Guy Ritchie immensely, regardless of what the masses opinion of this film is we will probably see it anyway. However, like W said, it is a well known character that has never received big budget or all star cast to tell the story, so I don't see any reason for it NOT to have mass appeal.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Plus Robery Downey Jr is huge right now (despite The Soloist) and this is the only film this season with mass appeal to everyone. Big action, comedy, and a familar name. It really can't go wrong.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Nothing special really. Christmas my mom brother and myself are proably going to order take-out and watch Jingle All The Way. Christmas Day I go to grandmothers for dinner and that's about it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Driving to Indiana for Xmas and then driving a shitload around Indiana visiting various family. Interestingly enough, I have never even thought about seeing a movie on Xmas day. I wouldn't mind seeing RDJ and Guy combo on Sherlock Holmes but probably won't until DVD. I would like to see Avatar again though. It was awesome in 3D.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

So far, I've seen three movies this week and a fourth one tonight (the second run theatre is having its $1 night). I've bought several DVD's from Target and Big Lots. However, I'm kicking myself because I overslept and missed hanging out with one of my best friends. I should stop using excuses not to do things.