The Netflix Thread (Qwikster is Dead)

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

The Netflix Thread (Qwikster is Dead)

Post by W »

Now that their streaming and DVD plans are completely separate, Netflix has decided to break into two companies. The streaming option will be Netflix and the DVD/Blu-Ray option will be called Qwikster. Qwikster, which already has an optional price increase for Blu-Ray is also going to add a price increase for PS3, 360, and Wii games.

I'm certain that they're trying a sink or swim approach with the DVD business. It's going downhill and if it fails on its own, then so be it. Adding video games in there? I don't see how that can be profitable for them. They're much more expensive but people keep them out much longer, I just got one from BB Online and kept it for two weeks while I normally get my Blu's out the next day. Blockbuster only has games that have been out a while and actually rents out brand new games for a fairly large fee four seven day rentals before it hits their member's queues.

It will probably kill their DVD business and that's probably fine for them.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Netflix/Qwikster

Post by Buscemi »

How many times do I have to say this: streaming is not the future. Right now, there is much less selection than DVD and Blu-Ray and you don't get the benefits that you get from DVD or Blu-Ray (special features, improved picture quality, multiple audio options). Also, you also have the issues with piracy and pricing with it.

And did I forget to mention that Netflix is not renewing its deal with Starz and is jumping with the moribund Epix? That means the selection for Netflix streaming is decreased.

I will gladly continue my Qwikster subscription, thank you very much.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

i dont use either, i more of a free spirit if u know what i mean. The good movies should earn their money at cinemas just like live bands, not cds and dvds.

But on the subject, i think it will be a long while before either prevail, the market is way too big for both, remember there are actually some people out there without internet, and on the other hand like boosh said its gonna be a long time before u can watch anything through netflix, like the interview with Hugo Weaving, or did that just come on on dvd?

But as for Bluray, ive only seen a handful and i have to say that ive been impressed, i cant wait for the technology to improve again, then i mite have enough money to start buying all my fav titles.

This debate may go on for something like 5 years, or in robdudes case 500
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've avoided blu-ray thus far. I have a huge collection and don't fancy starting again from scratch, especially for a format which appears to be only marginally better than what we already have. I'll wait for the next evolution in technology before considering again.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

the thing is SS, will there be any sort of evolution on disk?

u might be better off starting now
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm not talking discs, more downloading or streaming. We don't have access to streaming in NZ for the moment but I think instant access to a library of movies online is definitely the future. Like Boussh said though it is still a while off so I'm happy with my collection for the moment.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Many more people subscribe to streaming than DVD. And the question isn't whether streaming will replace DVDs, but whether streaming and/or DVDs are going to be profitable for the company.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

digital/streaming is the future. just like it is with music and happening with books now. nobody buys cds or singles anymore, besides a few anomalies here and there ;). Soon your whole video library will be on your computer, saved in a cloud somewhere.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

W wrote:people keep them out much longer, I just got one from BB Online and kept it for two weeks while I normally get my Blu's out the next day.
Isn't that exactly why renting out videogames can be profitable?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, it's two separate thoughts in the same sentence. I think they'll have to bump up prices way too much and it's more of a niche market like Gamefly has got. It's also much harder to figure out what games are going to tank than DVDs are going to tank because movies already have been through the public once in theaters.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Streaming will only become a concern for the DVD industry when the world outside of the US gets a decent broadband infastructure. Here in Ireland we don't really have a Netflix type company, and even if we did our crappy connections would demand hours of the dreaded buffering sign.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I think they chose the name "Qwikster" to embarrass people out of subscribing.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Australian version of Netflix is called Quickflix. Who wants to bet that a lawsuit will happen?

My question: why wasn't the Qwikster name applied to the streaming service while the mail service kept the Netflix name? Or even better, make the streaming service become Netflix Streaming and the mail service become Netflix By-Mail? This would be like HBO splitting their cable and on-demand services, making the on-demand service HBO and the cable service some bizarre name like New Time Bros.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

because they want to get rid of the dvd by mail service. I thought this was already covered. and there won't be a lawsuit, they aren't in competition with each other, no one cares.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I seriously think that getting of the by-mail service is a terrible idea. A lot of streaming only services have failed (Remember Movielink? Didn't think so.) and the only ones that have done well have been from places that offer other goods (such as Amazon Instant Video). Also, not that many people watch movies and TV shows through streaming. It's a vocal minority and people wouldn't be having this problem if they just changed their plan to not include one of the two.

Also, the few movies that I have watching on streaming have had terrible picture quality and no supplements. A while back, I watched Rubber on Netflix Instant. The picture was filled with digital artifacts that was distracting and the audio was your basic 2.0 sound. This should not be the case for a 2011 film. A DVD or Blu-Ray copy of said movie would have much improved picture quality and the original 5.1 audio.

I also watched Office Space on Amazon Instant Video a while back when I was given a free rental of the film for buying the DVD. This movie (a 1999 release) also had digital artifacts and 2.0 sound but the added bonus of being incredibly dark and with off colors. It was like watching a VHS tape.

Streaming has been around since the mid 1990's. It's gotten faster but it's still quite primitive when providing the perfect home theatre experience.