The Netflix Thread (Qwikster is Dead)

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Netflix/Qwikster

Post by W »

Netflix is a young service and has approximately 22-25 million streamers which (excluding the past couple of months) rises all the time. There's about 115 million households in the US. I watch Netflix streaming all the time and the picture quality is pretty much perfect every time and I don't have a good enough connection to run Sunday Ticket through my PS3. Streaming wirelessly to my Playstation is closer to Blu-Ray quality than DVD and through the Wii it's about DVD quality and takes a little longer to load.

Did you watch Rubber on your computer? Because that seems to slow it down for me. In the short term, it's not going to replace Blu-Ray/DVDs (especially since they add digital copies to a lot of releases), but it will definitely continue to gain subscribers which will lessen DVD/Blu rentals.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Obviously the quality of our stream here in NZ isn't as good as the US. I recently followed some advice from here and tried streaming through my Wii onto our 40 inch Full HD tv, and the quality was ok at best. Obviously the tv wasn't the issue so it must have been our streaming. What is typical in US? I think we have generally about 4MB/s, but I'm sure that's not that great.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've always had great quality from netflix, dvd quality at least. I always use my macbook and sometimes even hook it up to my 37'' 1080 HD, and it's still great quality, so i don't know what your complaining about boosh. as for speed, SS, it varies where you are, and what your willing to pay. My parents dsl is on average about the same as yours, i have a friends though, who has a T4 line and his speeds go up into the 100sMB/s

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Mine's 700 somethings per something, I think...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:Obviously the quality of our stream here in NZ isn't as good as the US. I recently followed some advice from here and tried streaming through my Wii onto our 40 inch Full HD tv, and the quality was ok at best. Obviously the tv wasn't the issue so it must have been our streaming. What is typical in US? I think we have generally about 4MB/s, but I'm sure that's not that great.
Problem #1: Wii doesn't output HD.

Also, when I first moved to California I was stuck with a 4MBs DSL connection (due to an exclusivity policy signed by the apartment complex). I was spit on in the streets. Only when I managed to get a 12MBs connection up and live did they finally allow me into nice restaurants.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

hows this, the place where i lived in Australia, the southwest corner, will be the last place to get digital television, sometime late in 2012.

Now i hear that because the current government didnt have enough votes to gain control, an independent MP gave his votes to the winning party but only if his region of living would be the first place to get high speed internet.

Now guess where the last place to get High Speed internet is....the south west corner.

Fuck i hate politics
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Dish/Blockbuster are doing this: http://dish.client.shareholder.com/rele ... eID=607878

For $10 extra a month, they get a streaming service with 4000 choices (Netflix has something like 100000 I think), one disc at a time from BBOnline (DVD/Blu/Games/in-store exchanges), and 20 movie channels. But, you have to be a Dish subscriber.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Deadline panned the plan as it only benefits Dish subscribers.

Speaking about Blockbuster: if you buy Gears of War 3 from them before September 30th, you get free rentals throughout October.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Amazon had a $20 credit for GoW3 plus something else if you pre-ordered... a comic or something, I'm not exactly sure because I don't have a 360. My FIFA12 comes with $20+ a MLS team logo Fathead (though I don't really care about the Fathead considering it's MLS). For pre-order games, Amazon's pretty good, plus if you have a .edu account or are a parent, you get free Prime which means free (99 cents for everyone else) release day delivery. The only thing is the free streaming only comes with paid Prime.

I just realized this isn't the video game thread... oh well, it came full circle with the streaming thing. And anyone with a .edu address should really look into getting free Amazon Prime. Free 2-day shipping on ANYTHING. Hell, buy something for $1, get it to your house FREE in 2 days. Can't beat it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Yeah, the seemingly perpetual $20 discount on pre-ordered video games is a steal. When I miss that, I usually wait a couple months for the price to drop.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

DreamWorks Animation has become the fourth distributor to sign on to Netflix for airing their movies. The first three were Relativity, FilmDistrict and Open Road.

So here are some forthcoming titles you can expect to see exclusively on Netflix streaming:

The Fighter (Relativity held pay cable rights instead of Paramount)
Season of the Witch
Take Me Home Tonight (I think Relativity got pay cable rights since they got the American theatrical and video rights while Universal had international)
Limitless
Insidious
Kung Fu Panda 2
Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Shark Night
Drive
Killer Elite
Machine Gun Preacher
Puss in Boots
The Rum Diary
Immortals
In The Land of Blood and Honey

Other recent pay cable switches include Summit to HBO beginning in 2013 and The Weinstein Company to Starz in early 2012 (I thought The King's Speech was going to be the first movie in this deal but it looks like it will be a newer title). I could also see Lionsgate and MGM selling their shares of Epix and getting deals with HBO or Starz (since neither is on good terms with Showtime at the moment, outside of a few shows from Lionsgate).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Epix was one of the movie channels included with the $10 BlockBuster Online addition to Dish I mentioned a couple days ago. I don't know if that means anything or not.

And The Fighter has been on Netflix streaming for a few months now.

W
Norman Bates

Re: The Netflix Thread (Qwikster is Dead)

Post by W »

...and Qwikster is dead because people have spoken up about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/n ... 33885.html

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

W wrote:...and Qwikster is dead because people have spoken up about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/n ... 33885.html
I saw that via a friend on fb earlier, thank goodness. The sheer annoyance of having to manage completely separate queues (though they moved closer to that in the past year with regular and instant queue) would have killed it for me. The selection on stream has improved a ton since it first became available, but not enough to give up dvd service, and especially with the shaky ground they are on with Starz.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm going to end up dumping my disc service that I now have on BlockBuster. I've watched three movies this month and before I was getting them out almost every single night I got them in. A lot of it has to do with watching tv shows that are out now, some has to do with gaming, some has to do with me finally catching up with the newer releases, and some has to do with the ease of being able to watch a lot of my favorite shows' reruns whenever I want on Netflix streaming.