The Fantaverse Members Top 20 Games of All-Time

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

The Fantaverse Members Top 20 Games of All-Time

Post by W »

Since it's not just me anymore (it's me and SS as of now, and #6 I think). Anyways, here's the countdown and feel free to join in at any time:

W

Final Fantasy VIII 1999 (PSX - RPG) - Every Final Fantasy game is different in some way. What sets this apart are the GFs, monsters/god-like creatures you control in battle and learn abilities from; a really fun card game, which brings an element of collectibility to the game; and realistically proportional characters rather than sprite, blocky, or characters with large top/bottom halves.

ImageImage

Silver Surfer

Vigilante, 1988 (Amiga, also on Arcade, Master System, Atari ST, Game Gear - Beat'em Up) I seem to remember spending hour upon hour throwing around my nun-chucks playing this game. Never was any good mind… The graphics I remember being pretty poor and it was probably a pretty generic beat em up game, but for some reason it was totally addictive.

Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Re: The Fantaverse Members Top 20 Games of All-Time

Post by W »

Vigilante looks like Bad Dudes mixed with Double Dragon, two games on my list, so I'd probably enjoy it. I did see that it's on the Wii virtual console, the Wii's in-system store, though it's never been on a Nintendo system before, which is not typical at all.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hey W, sorry, I totally forgot about the list starting today. So here's my #20:

Saracen - 1987 (Amstrad 464 / Spectrum) - I used to play the games my brothers had amassed ont he Amstrad, and this one was always entertaining. There's 40 puzzel levels in which you must destroy the Saracen leader in each level to complete it. You could pick up arrows that fired in specific directions to open walls/kill enemies, but you had to be very careful. Fiendish at the time, though I imagine it's not that difficult these days.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Final Fantasy 8 is the only one I've played to the end, and it's really good.
Vigilante: think I remember this. Great fun.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Don't think I remember Saracen at all, though most of my knowledge of games are very limited to either games released on the AMiga or the very popular games. Speaking of which always wanted to play a Final Fantasy game, they look awesome but just never gotten round to playing one. Which is the best one the get started on? And can you play it on either PC or Wii, as those are the only consoles I have now.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I wouldn't advise playing Final Fantasy on PC, though both #7 and #8 (2 of the 3 best) are probably available for cheap as they're over a decade old. The PC ports just got average scores compared to scores that rank with the best all-time. I thought #3 (#6 in Japan) was released on the Wii Virtual Console as it's one of the best games ever released for SNES, but it hasn't been yet.

Other than that, if you have access to an old PS1, PS2, SNES, a PS3, or a DS. you can get access to 3, 7, and/or 8. 3 and 7 are the best ones to start off with BTW.

If you know someone that knows more than I do about computers, they can probably find an emulation of them online.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Most of my friends are very casual gamers like myself, and so it's unlikely I'll get better advice than that. I'll keep an eye out for a Wii release, thanks for the heads up.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

W

BioShock 2007/08 (PS3, also on 360, PC - First Person Shooter/Mystery Survival-Horror) - I picked this game up at my parents' house when my brother lived there and ended up sleeping there since it became five am before I knew it. It's a first person shooter with elements of a Myst-type mystery and there's a twist near the end that would put M. Night Shalyman to shame. Set in the underwater city of Rapture off the US Atlantic coast during 1960, you're a lone man that was in a plane crash in the ocean and finds shelter in the city. Inside there's many of the city's residents that have gone crazy by enhancing their DNA with plasmids which give normal people special powers. You must survive these citizens (now called Splicers) and try to figure out exactly what happened to make a once beautiful city run down. And you must save Little Sisters, scientifically engineered little girls, who are protected by a that were made to suck life force out of dead bodies for use as plasmids whom are protected by genetically altered humans in armored suits called "Big Daddies."

ImageImage

Silver Surfer

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/screens ... nia_01.png

Pipe Mania, 1989 (Amiga, also on everything) I think this was like a mash up between Snake, Tetris and other puzzle games but it always led to sheer panic on my end as you manically twist the pipes hoping to get one which will fit the previous section and not let the gunge all blow up in your face.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

A couple of things I forgot to mention about BioShock. First is the 50's retro theme which is on everything from loading screens to advertisement. You're thoroughly engrossed and it really feels like you're in that time period.

Second is that if you get a decent director behind the camera (Gore Verbinski was attached), it would make the best sci-fi and best mystery film of the past 20 or so years.

Third is that it coincidentally has a pipes mini-game within it. You are able to hack the system of some of their computers to get cheaper stuff or make robots/security cameras attack your foes. The system for hacking them is based on pipes here's a shot of that:

And on Pipes Mania besides BioShock, I've played about 100 variants of pipes and they're all really good. You finally find the pipe you need and have to race against time to place the right pipe then have only a couple of seconds to place the other. Very stressing.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

19. MarioKart DS - 2005 (Nintendo DS)

I was always more Sega than Nintendo (for those that remember!), so I never fully got into the Mario games. It was my loss. I got a DS as a gift and obtained this game. For about a year I spent my lunchtime playing this game against a workmate who also had a DS, battling each other. Do I need to explain what this is? There's something so satisfying about catching up on an enemy just to finish him off with a shell-shaped weapon. The single-palyer modes has plenty of challenges to unlock also.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shells, bananas, lightning, whatever it takes to knock your opponent out. I know. Mario Kart is one of the best games out there and I've never played the DS version, but the SNES version is on my list and if the Wii version ever goes down in price, I'll nab it as well.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

DS is very similar to the SNES, but with better graphics and a bigger single-mode

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

W

W

Diablo II 2000 (PC - Hack and Slash MMORPG) - A game better than it's predecessor in every way imaginable. This is the only MMORPG I have played as I can't get into WoW and the like. This one you choose from five classes (sorceress, amazon, barbarian, paladin, and necromancer) and fight what is basically the devil's forces, and in the end himself while leveling up in dungeons and mostly dark terrain. You level up your skills and create different incantations of your character whether you want a sorceress that enchants the party or one based primarally on ice, ect. And it's got a Secret Cow Level that's really awesome. I can't wait until Diablo III comes out later this year.

ImageImage

Silver Surfer

Street Fighter, 1987 (Amiga, also on Arcade - Fighting) The daddy of all beat em ups while I was growing up, and while I was never very good at it ( a running pattern you will notice in all my choices…), I always found myself battering away at the joystick buttons in vain hope that one of the sequences will set off a special move. Usually it didn’t and I got my ass whupped, but it was fun all the same.

ImageImage

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Have you ever played Street Fighter II? I've played it (a lot) and have been told that the original is a shell of the second one. It really is one of the great franchises in game history, so you can't really knock the first one at all. Fighting games with friends is some of the most fun you can have with a game system.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

18 Rock Band 1-3 - 2007-2010 (PS3, X-Box, Wii, NDS)

The only reason I bought a PS3. We were at a party and played this and we were instantly hooked. It's bascially a 21st century kareoke, and the games have some song that I love, making it all the more fun. I can only play it with friends, though.