What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by numbersix »

I played Duke Nukem but it never blew me away until 3D came out on the PC. Apparently there's a new one coming soon.

Never liked the Time Crisis games or similar shooting: too repetitive and ultimtely boring.

Don't think I played Golden Axe but Golden Axe 2 was bundled with every Sega Megadrive (Genesis) over here so I played it a lot!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It's been coming soon since 1997, Six.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i actually sat down and played super smash bros brawl on wii yesterday, it was quite fun i have to admit.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:It's been coming soon since 1997, Six.
Yeah, but now it's got an actual release date of May 3 and a trailer (haven't watched it yet): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5s9FcQ4sTI
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

A little early today: Two football games (one simulation, one arcade), one freeware, one that was featured in our "Games that could make good films" league, and one slightly bastardized version of a NES/Atari classic.

85. Image

Troy Aikman Football 1994 (Sega, also on SNES, Jaguar - Football) - It started out with an awesome commercial (youtube link below) where Jimmy Johnson, a coach that had a falling out with Troy's team the year before steals Troy Aikman's brain. The game itself is almost fully customizable from the teams to the schedule to the plays that you call. That and the branding including Troy's favorite plays were probably the best things it brought to the table and it really nailed it out of the park. The gameplay was basic, but got the job done. Pretty good all around.

Online: http://www.playnintendo.org/online-game ... l-football

84. Dope Wars 1984 (PC - Turn-Based Strategy) - Dope Wars is a turn-based economic strategy game that puts you in the position of a small-time drug dealer in New York City. The main goal is to buy cheap and sell high and make enough money to pay back your loan shark and have something left over. You stock your trench coat with various narcotics and are able to buy weapons to protect you from robbers or whatnot. If you make a profit within 30 days (turns), you win and don't have your legs broken.

83. Image

Myst 1993 (PC, also ported to many systems - Fantasy Adventure) - Still in the top 10, this fantasy explorer was the top selling game for PC until the release of The Sims in 2002. Myst was, by the standards, beautifully designed and unusual in gameplay, though still effective. There were no bad guys to flay, no backstory when you start out, no jump button, and multiple endings. In many ways it was a detective game where you try to figure out which brother you should let out of imprisonment and solve puzzles along the way that lead to clues. It was very inventive as you are left for yourself to explore as you may. I can still see it's influence in recent games such as BioShock.

82. Image

Guantlet: Legends 1998 (Arcade/N64, also on PSX, Dreamcast - Hack and Slash) - First an arcade game, Guantlet Legends took it's namesake and mixed it with a dumbed down version of Diablo. I first played the arcade game where on each cabinet you were able to save your progress, which I hadn't seen before and the only arcade games I've seen since that offer that feature are racers. You go to different worlds, slash/shoot arrows at/use magic spells agains enemies and their huts that spawn them and are able to upgrade characters, grab keys to open doors, and get power ups for your Wizard, warrior, archer, and valkyrie which can also be upgraded to minotaurs, jackals, tigresses, and falconesses. There's really a lot of features packed into the small game.

81. Image

NFL Blitz 1997/98 (Arcade/PSX/N64 - Arcade Football) - Hmm... Two Midway arcade games in a row. Blitz (and the rest of the Blitz series) was probably the most violent sports game ever. There were no pentalties for late hits or pass interference, so you can just knock guys around at will as well as suplex them or offer up dirty hits. The extra points were literally gimmes, though most people I played with would just go for two as it's a fast pace action-type sports game rather than a calculated strategy based simulation, to say the least. You weren't required to pass the ball, but with 30 yard first downs instead of 10, seven people per side, and only seven players per side it was more like a seven on seven drill that anything.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

NFL Blitz 2000 took up a LOT of time when I was in middle school!!!

And speaking of Dope Wars, there was a game everyone played when I was in middle/high school that was basically the same thing but I cannot remember the name of it. I swear it was on cell phones though.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

There's various spin/rip offs of Dope Wars for cells/ipods. I just learned it was a Facebook game and a game that is on mobile phones.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Dope Wars is actually a good concept for a game. I'm amazed I hadn't heard of it until now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yep. And it teaches kids the science of economics!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ecstatic to see the original Myst on your list. The entire concept and complexity of all the games, to this day, still blows my mind. Are any of the sequels (Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages) on your list, or is this it? If not, no hard feelings, but if you've never played them, you'd love them if you loved the original Myst.

(Note: I've never played End of Ages, but I hope to someday. Each game has gotten better and better, as far as story line, graphics, etc., as the series has progressed. I even bought the Myst collection of novels (not graphic novels, actual books), and they were terrific.

I was also a fan of the Gauntlet games, though I always played them in arcades and pizza parlors, never at home. I remember missing a day's worth of college classes in 1988 because I spent 8 hrs playing Gauntlet on ONE QUARTER.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

There's no more Myst. That was actually the only one I'd ever played, though I wanted to play the others. Like I said, though, we had a shared games budget.

Have you ever heard of Pyst, Shryke? I've never played it, but saw it at a game store one time. It's a parody of Myst with John Goodman as the king of the island. I guess basically four million people (at the time) played Myst and trashed the island. Here's the box:

and a screenshot:

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

You must have nerves and a bladder of steel.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Never heard of Pyst. I don't know... Myst and its sequels are like hallowed ground to me, I doubt I'd be interested in exploring further.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Oh no, I wasn't saying "play it." It looks awful. Like completely awful. I was saying "It exists."

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The reviews aren't favorable either. One review even wondered if John Goodman needed the money.