What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by numbersix »

I could do Top 10 and they'd mostly be from the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) as that's when I was really into gaming.

I've a few ideas of collective lists we could do next but I'm waiting a few weeks until we're completely wrapped on the Movie list.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've never been a gamer at all. when i was young, we had a Super Nintendo and we played donkey kong country and super mario bros a lot. later when it came out played some N64 sometimes at my cousins but we didn't have it and we didn't go there too often. my brother got the gamecube when we were a bit older, so we played that generation mario game, and super smash brothers (which if i had to pick a favorite, it would be that). my brother also got the 360 when it came out, so i've played some Halo 3, but that's it. like i said before, i play some games on my ipod like words with friends, chess with friends, and angry birds (don't know what it is about that game but it's addicting).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I had an Atari before I could remember, played NES from about age 3-8 or 10, had a Sega, SNES, 64, PSX, PS2, Gameboy, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PC, some game system that has some older games on it (the kind you buy in the mall with the 76000 in one), Wii, Apple II in school, and a PS3. I think I'm leaving something out, but I'm not sure. There'd be games from all of those systems on my list.

Now I'm off to watch Butler vs. VCU.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I got the PSN version of Tetris and it's really good. It's got online or local battling, 11 different variants which some feature gravity which means no more hanging blocks when playing that mode. It's got a co-op mode where you each control half the screen. It''s really very good.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ok, I've got my list done. I'm not going to unveil it yet, but I'll give you the last 11 few to get cut in a second. First, does anyone want to do this with me? I plan on going pretty quick with the first fifty (maybe five a day for ten days) or so and a little slower as we go. I could just throw it all out there at once, but I'd like to comment on them. Anyways, you could have any amount to join in whether it be 111 like me or just a handful. Let me know.

In no particular order, these were the last ones cut:

Ninja Gaiden 1988 (NES - Side-Scrolling Platformer) - Another of the NES classics. A really cool game where you get to use ninja weapons.

Paperboy 1984 (NES, also about 20 different systems - Action) - Get the newspapers where they need to be while avoinding obstacles. Everyone's probably seen/heard of/played this legendary game.

Sid Meier's Gettysburg! 1997 (PC - Historical Battle Strategy) - Sid Meier is the king of these types of games and Gettysburg! is one of the best of those. It puts you in the shoes of a American Civil War general commanding your troops to hold certain locations and ultimately win battles.

Starsiege: Tribes 1998 (PC - Sci-Fi Multi-player FPS) - I know nothing about the storyline, but this was the first online multiplayer game I'd ever played, I believe. You flew around and shot your opponents and worked together to plant bombs and whatnot.

Little Nemo: Dream Master 1990 (NES - Sidescrolling Platformer) - A fun NES game for kids about a kid in a dream world. You use candy to control animals and try to beat bad dreams.

The Lost Vikings 1992 (DOS/Genesis, also on Amiga, CD32, GBA, SNES) - A puzzle/platformer with three Vikings lost in time and space. Each has special abilities that you have to use to complete each level. A very fun and creative game.

Rygar 1987 (NES - Action/Adventure) - A fun game I used to play as a kid. All I can remember is that you get a grappling hook.

Tomb Raider 1996 (PSX, also on PC/Sega Saturn - Adventure) - A huge hit when it came out, Tomb Raider launched a treasure hunting series that I'm not sure I'd call "revolutionary," but at least important to the genre of adventure as well as 3D gaming in general.

WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game 1995 (Arcade/PSX, also on Genesis, SNES, Saturn, DOS, Sega 32X - Fighting/Wrestling) - It really blurred the line between a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter type and a traditional wrestling game, but didn't excel at either. It was still fun, though.

Red Dead Redemption 2010 (PS3, also on 360 - Adventure) - I'm currently in a hiatus of finishing this one. Red Dead Redemption has the potential to shoot high up the list. It's beautiful, has great characters, tons of side quests, you can hunt and skin all kinds of animals, and the horse riding could be a simulation game all in it's own.

The Toxic Crusaders 1992 (Sega Genesis - Beat'em up) - Basically a side-scrolling beat-em-up where you can pick between Toxie or a couple of his friends that also have toxic powers. It was really fun as a kid, but I doubt it holds up.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll throw down a few ideas but it'll only be a Top 10 or so.
Out of your list the only ones I remember playing are Tomb Raider (really enjoyed it, the T-Rex attack was damn scary at the time) and Paper Boy (great fun).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The only time I have been an addicted gamer was when I played Super Nintendo in my junior high / high school years. I used to spend all my money in the video games.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Wait, Troma produced a video game?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

They just licensed characters from a cartoon they produced from what I just read. And multiple ones at that. There was one for NES, Game Boy, and Sega all a little different. I didn't realize Toxic Crusaders only had 13 episodes as I watched it as a kid.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I remember Paperboy, I used to play that a lot when I was little.

Recently, I rented Tiger Woods '12 and Homefront. Couldn't get enough of Tiger Woods and I'll probably be buying it (I'll trade in Black Ops and Arkham Asylum most likely).

Homefront was cool, the graphics are a downgrade from MW2 but the story is cool and I like the guns. Didn't get to play multiplayer, but I might rent it again because it looks like the campaign is pretty short and not worth $60.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Man. Arkham Asylum is on my "must play" list after the awesome demo I played.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I could probably cobble together 20 or so games that I've played over the years. There have obviously been more, but I'm not what you could call a 'gamer', so I'll just list the ones I really enjoyed playing when I was a lot younger.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Alright. Just let me know how many you get. So far Six is the only other one with 10ish. You'll have a little while.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I've never been into games in a big way, just a bit of dabbling here and there over the years, although the last 18 months or so I've been getting right into the rhythm games. We probably own about 10 or so guitar hero/rock band games and I've played them enough times that I can finish the majority of the songs on expert. I can't play real guitar at all but.
From your list so far W I've only know of 3 of them. Red Dead Redemption looks interesting but i've never played it, Paperboy I had a few goes at as a kid but it bored me pretty quick, and Tomb Raider only kept my interest for about a week or so. The only other game that interests me even slighly is Toxic Crusaders and only because I have a soft spot for the movies, so I would probasbly only want to watch someone playing it a couple of times.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, I've got all the last generation's RB/GH games save track packs and Warriors of Rock. Spoiler Alert: They'll both make my top 100 as series, so only taking up one spot for Rock Band and one for Guitar Hero. Since I don't think anyone else has 100, I'll post my first five of the 100 right now and post five each day that I have a chance until I get to 30.

Today's is a PS1 and 4 Segas (1 DC, 2 Genesis, 1 Game Gear)

100. Image

G-Loc 1990 (Game Gear, also on Arcade, Mega Drive, Master System - Combat Flight Simulator) - This one gets the nod as the last one on the list over others partially because it's the only Game Gear (probably the worst system I've owned) on the list. This one is a basic, low graphics dogfighting game. It's really hard to find a cover for it on Google, but I found the full flash game of it online if you want to try it out a little:

http://www.thesmartass.info/play/gamege ... Air+Battle

99. Image

Crazy Taxi 2 2001 (Dreamcast - Racing/Action) - Crazy Taxi was a pretty unique game where you drive around a city, take passengers from place to place, and try and get bonus points for air time and how close you can get to cars without hitting them. The sequel was basically an updated version with more maps, more drivers, enhanced graphics, more moves, and the ability for multiple passenger pickup as well as a soundtrack from The Offspring. It's kind of like how they do nowadays and put half a game out there then update it and add downloadable content... Crazy Taxi 2 is the finished version of the original.

98. Image

NASCAR 98 (PSX, also on Sega Saturn - Racing) - I pretty much can't stand racing or NASCAR in general. I just don't get what's fun about going around in circles, and yes, I've been to an event... and fell asleep. This game is on here for two reasons 1) paintball mode where you get to shoot other cars with--you guessed it--paint balls. The other reason is that it's hilarious that the same song plays over and over no matter how long of a race you do.

97. Image

TNN Outdoors Bass Tournament '96 (Genesis - Fishing) - Look, I'm not a fisherman and haven't fished since I was about 15. My dad brought this game home one day and I was like, "WTF? Fishing?" But I'll give any game a chance and play pretty much any genre (which you'll see when you look at the list as a whole). It's basically the iPod-based fishing game, but over a decade earlier.

96. Image

Shaq-Fu 1994 (Genesis, also on SNES, Game Boy, Game Gear - Fighting) - This is pretty much the equivelent of a bad movie that's fun to watch. You fight Street Fighter-style as Shaq with people from another dimension to rescue a Japanese Kid from an evil mummy... and Shaq is the worst character in the game.