What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by Buscemi »

I played some of G-Loc just now and I thought it was horrible. The fact that you get just one life and no continues is a major strike against it. Also, the fact that the controls are weak make it hard to play.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The controls are a lot weaker on PC, yes. As a handheld, it's much easier to maneuver. And you have to remember that this was released in 1990 as an arcade game. It easily surpassed everything comparable at the time.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

All those games look terrible. A fishing game?????

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Well, I don't know if I'd pick up any of them and play more than a half hour to an hour today for old time's sake, save Crazy Taxi 2. I promise that the higher I go up, the better they'll get. I may not have listed many classic, genre defining, revolutionary films on my film list but this one will have a ton of the Citizen Kane's, Godfather's, etc of the video game world.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've started compiling my list and there are just about 20 titles I have played and enjoyed over the years, and I can guarantee that the vast majority of those were NOT classics in the gaming hall of fame. Most of them were just games we could afford when we were growing up, and games you could actually play on an Amiga 500 (we didn't get a proper gaming console till I was about 18 as my parents were paying for it and my mum needed the computer too for typing stuff up. We even had a dot matrix printer. Oh how times have moved on....).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Almost all of my systems were "community" Christmas gifts split between myself and two brothers... and some stuff my dad would play. It's a lot cheaper relatively to go that way as opposed to a single child family or a family where only one kid plays. The rest of my systems were second hand. And just about every game was cheap as well. The first game I ever personally bought new was Super Mario Bros. 2 with money I got from selling candy for tee-ball.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well I gave it some thought and I realise that I'll have a solid list of 20 games. Thinking back to my early teens I realised I played a hell of a lot of games.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Good, so now we have two others besides myself putting a top 20 together. Anyone else?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Along with the next five, I'd like to say that PixelJunk Shooter 2 is good, though not as good as the first one thus far. Also, this time I believe you may appreciate the picks a little more and I found three of the five games for tonight online if you want to try them out, though my computer is a little slower than some so I can't comment on whether the transfers are good or not.

95. Image

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 2000 (PSX, also on N64, GBA, GBC, Xbox - Sports/Action) - An updated version of the original THPS (obviously), it had various upgrades such as new skaters, a bigger soundtrack, more good maps, and character creation. After this one, it got too off the wall for me.

94. Image

Joe Montana Sportstalk Football 1991 (Genesis - Sports) - Just a few years after NES had Tecmo Bowl, Sega put out Joe Montana Football. The graphics are a little better and it played pretty well compared to what anyone else could accomplish at that time.

Online: http://www.thesmartass.info/play/genesi ... Football+2

93. Image

Bad Dudes 1988 (Arcade, also on NES/Various - Beat'em up) - This was pretty much the equivelent to a thoroughly 80's action film.. The president (Ronnie, aka Reagan) has been captured and your musclebound character has to save him by punching a bunch of ninjas. It's a super early beat-em up, and besides the 80's cheese there's not a ton going for it, but they had it in my local super market and sometimes location is everything.

Online: http://nintendo8.com/game/613/bad_dudes/

92. Image

World Class Track Meet 1987 (NES - Athletics) - You know, the one with the Power Pad. It had sprinting, hurdles, triple jump, long jump, etc and you moved your feet as fast as you could not really running, but shuffling your feet. For the long jump, you jumped off the mat then back on and your friends called 'cheats' on you.

ImageImage

91. Image

Double Dragon 1987 (NES, also Arcade/various - Beat'em up) - One of the first co-operative games out there helped to increase the popularity of the beat'em up genre. It was extremely fun to play with two players and was probably the first game where someone said "Come on! I can't see where I'm going," in that context.

Online: http://nintendo8.com/game/745/double_dragon/

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Well, we are going places now.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I figured you'd be a Bad Dudes/Double Dragon connoisseur.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Double Dragon! Finally a game I've played! Great choice!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Shrykespeare wrote:Double Dragon! Finally a game I've played! Great choice!
You've never played with the Power Pad, I guess? I didn't have one myself, but knew others that did.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Double Dragon is the only one there I played.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Today we have the youngest game to make my countdown, a Sega Genesis launch game, an arcade series, one of the crudest-looking games on my countdown, and one I couldn't find a trace of it's existance. Two of them you can try out online if you'd like.

90. Image

Golden Axe 1989 (Genesis/Arcade) - Golden Axe was one of the first games on the Sega and was ported from Arcades. It's a magical medieval beat'em up with Conan the Barbarian as its inspiration. In it you're able to play as a dwarf, amazon, or warrior and fight various baddies. You can use your main weapon, magic spells, or jump on a lizard/dragon steed and let them beat the guy up for you... And don't forget to kick the little gnome guys.

Online: http://mastersystem8.com/game/363/golden_axe/

89. Image

Super Mario Galaxy 2 2010 (Wii - 3D Platform) - As far as I've been told and have viewed for myself, the only original Wii games that are worth playing are the ones with Mario in the title unless you're a child. Anyways, this one is really good. It's got a ton of levels each with some sort of twist that makes them different like being able to jump upside down, turn into a bee, every time you jump blocks dissappear, etc. And you're on seperate planets each time and can jump from planetoid to planetoid withing the levels. It's really very fun.

88. Image

Duke Nukem 1991 (PC - Platform) - Duke Nukem is kind of a cross between John McClane and JCVD. In his first side-scolling adventure, you try to stop a mad scientist from taking over the world by killing robots, destroying things, picking up items, and (the main goal) just getting to the end of each level. It's like a late 80's action film (as so many games from this time period are). A new Duke Nukem game that's been over a decade in the making is coming out later this year.

Online: http://www.classicdosgames.com/online/1duke.html

87. Image

Monopoly late 80's/early 90's (PC - Board Game) - I can't fine the exact copy, dates, and whatnot, but this is just a plain version of Monopoly (probably my second favorite board game) that I used to play. It was extremely simple, there wasn't even any AI.

86. Image

Time Crisis 3 2003 (Arcade - First Person Shooter) - If you've been in a decent arcade in the last twelve or so years, you've probably seen a Time Crisis game. They're two player standard arcade shooters with a pedal that you push to pop up from behind cover. This spot represents all four in the series as it's one of the two I've played the most plus you get weapon upgrades. You have a certain amount of time as well as health, so you have to move quickly and get to the checkpoints to gain more time. It gets a little hectic.