What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by W »

I forgot to say I have early access to Best Buy's Black Friday today like I did last year. If anyone wants me to buy them anything, let me know. GCU (my 20% off new games) does not work this year on Black Friday stuff, so what's in the add is the price you pay. I do have free 2-day shipping on everything too, though. Just add 7% tax and I'll have it shipped to your door.

I got Skyrim ($25) and Far Cry Primal ($15) for the PS4 along with Blu of Me Before You ($7) and some cheap portable chargers for $3 apiece. Some of the other stuff I wanted wasn't available yet (Brooklyn, Eddie the Eagle, a couple new DualShock 4s). I'm also considering a 4k TV and/or a PS4 Pro this holiday season, but I think I'm going to pass. If the Pro had UHD compatibility I'd probably lean towards yes.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm not sure where to put this, but does anyone have any experience buying or renting movies form the Playstation store? I see that Tale Of Tales can be bought for $5, which is a lot cheaper than the $30 import Blu-Ray, but I can't figure out if it downloads or stores in the cloud or if they sometimes remove titles after you bought them, removing them from your catalogue.

And on a gaming note, I finally got my Vancouver Canucks team into the Stanley Cup Finals in Franchise Mode in NHL 17. When we lost in Game 7 I was wondering which button I had to push to start the inevitable riot.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Which button activates the teargas, John?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't know how the PlayStation video stuff works. I don't think it's UV. I always use VUDU or other UV capable ones.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

VUDU has a bunch of stuff on sale and I have some credit. Theres too much stuff I want to buy it all, so maybe some input would help? I can get $20 worth.

$9.99
Hell or High Water
Cafe Society
Hands of Stone
Kubo
Our Kind of Traitor
The Meddler
Hello My Bame is Doris

$7.99
The Program
The Man Whi Knew Infinity

$4.99
Cell
Joshy

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Program was a huge disappointment and Cell is nothing more than another dumb "technology is evil" movie (I expected more from a film co-written by Stephen King and with John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, and Stacy Keach in the cast). Cafe Society was done better as Bullets Over Broadway while the praise of The Meddler baffled me (it was nothing than a bad Diane Keaton smother movie recast with Susan Sarandon).

I'd go with Hello, My Name is Doris and The Man Who Knew Infinity as their Blu-rays did not include UV codes. You can trade for most of the others (even Joshy, as Lionsgate packages most everything with a UV code).

They've also got Imperium, which doesn't hit Blu-ray for a few more weeks, for $4.99 (there's plenty of good titles at this price, some old, some new). Of course, the Blu-ray will have a UV code.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My thought was pretty much the same. Get some that don come with UV. I ended up getting those two, Doris and Infinity. Anything that was sent to me should be up tomorrow as well as GoT season 6.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm still pretty obsessed with NHL 17, so I haven't started playing them yet, but I downloaded MLB The Show 16 and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor for less than $35.

Like W mentioned a while back, many of the modes and features in MLB 16 are similar to NHL 17, so it'll be interesting to compare, even though my current interest in baseball is way behind my love of hockey. Baseball is great for stat-based sims though, since almost everything about baseball can be quantified, so it might renew my interest in baseball once I give it a shot. The only thing missing is a way to bring back the Expos.

And if any non-sports sim is likely to hold my interest, a Middle Earth-based game is as likely as any, so it's there on my hard drive for when the mood hits me.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Don't worry. The Rays will move to Montreal in a few years.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Anyone (in the US) interested in Best Buy's Buy 2 Get 1 next week? I've got two (Last Guardian for me, Final Fantasy XV for a Christmas gift) I'm wanting and I may need a third. I'm hoping they screw up and let me preorder the second South Park RPG or I may get the other Final Fantasy that came out last month. They come out to 34.25 each after my GCU discount, the B2G1 promo, and tax. I can get it shipped to you at no charge. I'll do it for you even if you want three titles.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I got Last Guardian, FFXV, and World of FF. FFXV was a gift for my brother I was going to get anyway, so it was kind of a B1G1 for me. Excellent deal if I think about it that way.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Finally finished Alien Isolation.

Anyone else played it?

It's a brilliant idea - the ultimate game of tag. It's incredibly atmospheric and the AI is great, in that it's brutal and terrifying. And the game does well to provide moments of relief in between the utter terror. Not everything works - I barely used half of the weapons you could craft. What good are flashbangs and smoke bombs? And the last sequence is linear and involves no real struggle. But an innovative game nonetheless.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think I'm going to get rid of The Last Guardian. The controls just don't work right at this point. Most of the game is you figuring out how to do stuff, actually getting the monster guy to do stuff mostly. And you point, saying "go here" and he just won't do what you want him to do. Then you spend like ten or fifteen extra minutes trying to do the think and nothing. You get up to get a drink or something and he finally does what you wanted.

It's just so frustrating. I still really want to finish it, but I've got a lot of other stuff to play. Hopefully they patch and I'll rebuy it later for cheaper.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't play too many games but lately I have been playing the Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics (or whatever it's called) demo. The boxing demo is really easy (I always play as Donkey Kong and win by TKO in the first round) and I won the only time I did the BMX demo (by only two-tenths of a second). But I had never won a soccer game (because I can't stop a penalty shot to save my life) until yesterday.

Final score: 7-6 (Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Yoshi) (double overtime plus penalty kicks).

First half: 2-2 (had 2-0 lead and lost it).
End of regulation: 3-3 (tied in extra time).
First overtime: 5-5 (had lead but couldn't hold on).
Second overtime: 6-6 (tied it again in extra time).
Penalty kicks: 4-3 (five rounds, managed to actually stop two kicks after letting the first three score).

I wouldn't have won without Mario (who had all six goals, plus two in the shootout including the game winner). If Mario were eligible for the World Cup, the US (he has Italian ancestry but I'm sure he was born in Brooklyn) would win every four years.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The arcade version of Mario and Sonic Rio is pretty fun. I bought a WiiU for Christmas last year and I don't think we've touched it since March. I'm pretty excited for the Switch, but my guess is if I buy it I'll get the same exact result.

Nintendo is just half a generation behind every time.