What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by Ron Burgundy »

erm, so, who's playing pokemon go? :oops:
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I went pretty big on Pokemon Go in the beginning. The first week it came out I was in Disney World, so I got to play it through the park. Right now I think I'm only at level 18.

I just bought the latest Hearthstone expansion. I hate the way they make you wait a week between wings even if you bought the whole thing outright. This one is kind of like the Magic expansion Unglued, except all the cards you get are actually usable. It's kind of like a lot of single player Tavern Brawls or mini game variants. Like one you're playing chess and they only attack the piece directly across from them.

I've also still been playing Rocket League. It's lasted much longer than almost everything I've played the last few years. Mostly doubles because I like the team game, but hate getting rammed into by teammates every ten seconds.

I still need to finish Uncharted 4 and Fallout 4.

I also pre-ordered the Madden 17. There's a deal at Best Buy where you trade in the last one and get $15 + a $10 coupon for the next one so I bought a cheap copy of 16 on eBay just to trade it in. Also comes with a $10 Reward credit and I get 20% off. So it makes it like $13.99 + what I spent on the eBay game ($12 I think). Around $30 is not bad. I'll play it for a couple of weeks and trade it in for $44 like every year.

And I'm very intrigued by No Man Sky. I didn't even know it was coming out or what it was, which is pretty rare for me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I gave up on Pokemon Go about a week after it came out, think it's time has mostly passed now.

I've been all about No Man's Sky this week, love this game. It's purely exploration, so if you're looking for anything other than that, you'll be disappointed.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm thinking "Screw it." I may go grab No Man's Sky after I get off work. I've got $30 in BBY rewards. If they have the limited edition with the Steelbook I'll grab that. Or if not maybe I'll wait until Thursday when they can ship the LE to me.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

W wrote:I'm thinking "Screw it." I may go grab No Man's Sky after I get off work. I've got $30 in BBY rewards. If they have the limited edition with the Steelbook I'll grab that. Or if not maybe I'll wait until Thursday when they can ship the LE to me.
Don't you also get 20% off with GCU? I know you do for new games with Amazon Prime.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yep. 20% off GCU for all games all the time. $64 for the Limited Edition minus $30 for the rewards credits, then about $3 back in points for the order.

I think I've talked about it enough over the years on here, but that's the only way to buy new games. $48 plus a $10 rewards credit for these upcoming preorders:

Madden 17 (plus the deal I talked about a couple posts back: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/env3869 ... 8302046646)
NBA2K17 (hopefully the same thing as Madden)
Final Fantasy XV
Mafia III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/my-best ... 0dWjt6olHg

And if I don't like something I can typically trade it in for $40-45 within a couple weeks of release including a 10% bonus, plus a couple dollars back in points on that too.

$30 for two years.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Well... It says there's a vanilla copy at my local Best Buy, but they can't find it. Earlier it said they could ship me a limited edition, but now they're sold out. It'll take BBY until Thursday to get a copy. So I checked Amazon and it's 2-4 weeks. So, I guess I'll go there Wednesday and hope they got a shipment in?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I bought the PS4/NHL 17 bundle last Sunday, which means I've barely seen the sun, bathed, or communicated with a human being outside of work since then.

I'm loving the Franchise Mode, where you simulate being the GM of an NHL team, and I've also dipped my toes into the Be A Pro mode, where you start off as a 16 year old in Junior Hockey and try to work your way up to the pros. The former is all about strategy, but the latter is more about how well you play the game, so I'm slowly getting used to the controls on the PS4, which I've never really used before apart from playing demos in store. The last console I owned was an Atari 2600, so the Dualshock controller is a tad more complicated than the one button joystick I grew up with.

I almost bought the NHL 16 bundle last year, but managed to resist, but the clincher for me this year was the new feature that allows you to take any franchise that doesn't deserve an NHL team, like Carolina or Arizona (sorry, Shryke) and move them to Quebec City, Seattle, or even Halifax, which I'll have to try someday.

One annoying thing is that the Franchise Mode has frozen up on me a few times, and this first time it happened I lost almost half a season of progress, because I wasn't saving. To those of you with more knowledge of PS4s, do they freeze up often or is that unusual?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

It rarely freezes. My guess is it's the game and they'll fix it with an update. NHL is kind of the "bastard child" of the major sports games because it doesn't bring in nearly as much as Madden, NBA 2K, or FIFA. It's always more glitchy, gets new modes slower, etc. My brother is into the EA NHL games pretty big. My sports game is the NBA 2K series and they've got all the same deals, just basketball-ized. My main mode is MyTeam (not sure of the NHL equivalent) where you get cards and can play as those players. I especially like having the "legends" on my team.

You've got to be a PS+ member for that, though, because you're playing online. If you are planning on playing anything else, PS+ is a pretty good deal. It's the only way you can play online and they give you a couple "free" games the first Tuesday of every month.

If I had to recommend one game this generation so far it would be Rocket League. It's soccer with rocket powered cars. It's pretty cheap ($29.99 MSRP), they update it regularly to add new modes, and It's got a super flat learning curve... meaning you learn something pretty much every time you play. I got it free with my PS+ subscription a little over a year ago and my playing time on it has dwarfed anything else.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

That's funny because as a Canadian I've always considered the NHL series to the be the EA Sports flagship. NHL '94 was huge back in the day, and I played it a lot on my roommate's Nintendo. They're located here in Vancouver, so the fact that a Canadian company made a big international splash with a hockey game was big news. Maybe it's fallen on hard times since then (a few of the reviews of previous versions seem to indicate that) but I'm sure it's still a big seller in Canada and Europe. Wikipedia says that the FIFA series is their best seller worldwide, and the NHL series probably does a lot better in Europe than MLB or NFL games. I haven't tried all the modes yet, but I know there's a World Cup mode, I'm pretty sure there's one where you can play a season as any team in the Swedish Elite League or the KHL, and the Franchise mode I'm playing lets you scout and draft from European leagues, so they're definitely catering to any market that follows hockey.

The card based NBA game you describe sounds a lot like HUT (Hockey Ultimate Team), and I've also read that a lot of the game modes in the various sports franchises are basically the same, so you make your choice based on which sport you follow most, and for me it's obviously hockey.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I played a little of nba 2k my team, but got pretty sick of the grind to get new players. I focus on My Player or my career or whatever, im a little annoyed at 2k- the last copy i got was 3 years ago now, and you couldnt simulate to finish of games, so i had to play the full 48 minute games to get the correct stats, cause im a bit OCD like that, but i do play on the hardest mode so its was kinda worthwhile.

W- whats the new nba 2k like?

Still havent played Rocket League or No mans Sky. not sure if i ever will sadly

Still playing pokemon go, but not nearly as much.

and started fallout 4 on survival mode, its a whole new game, im enjoying it very much. I completed the game and got the 'peaceful' ending, then completed Far Harbour DLC which was ok. Now, you cant fast travel, can only save when you sleep, you must eat and drink to stay alive and you also can fall ill, its pretty intense.

When i finish or get bored of this ill have a look at Mafia III, has anyone played that yet? Mafia II was pretty good

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Mafia III has been sitting at my house and I haven't had time to play it. 2k is excellent as always, Domination mode should give you some cheap cards but I always break down and buy packs. It's the only game I ever do that with. My best is a throwback Josh Smith that's (for some reason) 3 ratings ahead of current LeBron/Curry (the best current players). I'm going for all of historical Atlanta to get Diamond Lou Hudson. I just have Kevin Willis (who costs a ton) and Jason Terry left I think.

If I remember right, my starters are (all throwback) Doc Rivers, Quentin Richardson, Latrell Sprewell, Josh Richardson, James Edwards.

Rocket League, seriously... play it.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

nice little throwback team.

I cant think why Josh Smith's throwback ratings would be so high. Maybe he had much less tendency to shoot, ahem, miss 3PTers. Probably almost 100 rating athleticism, bout 95 defense. He was a great rim protector and a huge finisher. Still, shouldnt be better than LeBron is now, his basketball IQ is as high as anyones

and alright- googling rocket league now...

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Rocket League - Just watch some Kronovi youtube clips (probably the best player since the game's release). It's great because everyone is on equal footing. You don't have someone with a souped up car or someone that was able to flat out buy Michael Jordan. And the ranking system will put you where you need to be after a few games to test your skill. And your skill increases incrementally. Especially in the beginning you learn something every game. Not how to do spin moves or memorizing a pattern, but how if you tilt your car just that amount or if you hit the ball just in that spot... And when you learn to use your boost to fly and hit your first aerial goal it's crazy.

Josh Smith: I always thought he had the skills of a perennial all-star, but he had the basketball IQ of a rock. If you had someone else controlling him, he'd have been a monster.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I just pulled the best Steph Curry out there. It's a "moments" card based on when he broke the game 3 record. Now I look like:

PG: ruby Steph Curry "moments"
SG: ruby Dan Majerle
SF: diamond Lou Hudson
PF: sapphire Josh Smith
C: ruby Kevin Willis

Bench: ruby Oakley and ruby Hornacek. I'm getting close to diamond Tom Chambers as an upgrade to Smith.