What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Off-topic discussions, basically everything else goes in here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: What are you playing RIGHT NOW... or close to now?

Post by Ron Burgundy »

lol @ Civ II. I enjoyed Civ III, the 2 earlier versions were before my time. I heard Civ VI stinks so i passed, even though Sean Bean is the narrator! Going to be a while before the next one comes out, i surely hope its not a cashgrab with 719 DLCs you need to buy extra enjoy to enjoy it fully.

So what would you give the last NBA2k and then this one out of 10?

Ill probbably do the same with COD:WWII, lost interest somehwere during the black Ops releases, though the campaigns were solid. Campaigns have always been the lure for me with those games.

And i never even finished the first South Park, solely because i didnt own a mouse for my laptop at the time, as its pretty much a point and click game. But will probably give this one a shot
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I had the original Civilization on those hard floppy discs before II came out. Civ II is when I chill out. It's literally my favorite game of all time. I basically play at an intermediate level and turn it into a resource management game. The last 2k was one of the best, I think. Probably 9/10? Like I said, if you do My Player, this seems to be an upgrade. The upgrades to My Team is just an extra thing to beat (like 30 challenges per team). I don't think there's a big upgrade to the gameplay itself besides a little more complex stick moves.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hopefully you guys don't get this again with the new South Park:

Censorship sucks.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

This seems to happen all the time in Australia. I forget if it has something to do with the game rating system being different from the film rating system or if it has to do with some far-right political party having a major influence on games or what.

You think Australia would be more lax than the US with the content of games. They've given us some of the most morbid things in entertainment.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

lol! I missed that censor. Pretty sure the games rating system was very strict, i think the system was overhauled a few years ago but we still have a long way to go
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hopefully I'll finally order a PS4 pro tomorrow. They're $349 for about a limited time and Amazon is running a special for $50 off if you trade in qualifying games/accessories. Around $300 new is my price point. It'll be my third PS4, but I literally use it every day as the hub of my living room.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Here's two quick, possibly stupid questions for you gamers out there.

When you buy a game from Steam is it a full, proper download you can play offline or do you need to be connected to their servers?

And is there any reason an old-school game like CIV 3 wouldn't work on a modern laptop?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Civ III should be able to be played on a modern PC. I play Civ II on mine, but it isn't for sale anywhere and you have to find and install patches to get it to work.

Don't really use steam, so don't know that part.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You can play Steam games in Offline Mode, so you should be fine. Those achievements won't be placed on the global leader board until you connect to the net. I know that's a major issue, right?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I did get a PS4 Pro. You can really tell the difference between it and my old PS4. I believe I had a fat one, so the difference between the Pro and Slim I'm not sure of.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I created an account but the client won't let me log in, possibly because I'm at work. I also read somewhere that you have to be online before you can tell the system you want to play offline, and that you can only stay offline for a short time before the system blocks you, so it might not work for me if I can't log in at work.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

W wrote:I did get a PS4 Pro. You can really tell the difference between it and my old PS4. I believe I had a fat one, so the difference between the Pro and Slim I'm not sure of.
Would it be worth it without a 4K TV?

I have a slim, not sure if I should wait until I get a 4K TV. Or even just wait for the PS5.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
W wrote:I did get a PS4 Pro. You can really tell the difference between it and my old PS4. I believe I had a fat one, so the difference between the Pro and Slim I'm not sure of.
Would it be worth it without a 4K TV?

I have a slim, not sure if I should wait until I get a 4K TV. Or even just wait for the PS5.
From what I've read, if you have a slim it isn't worth it. I had an OG PS4 and the upgrade from it to the slim is noticeable. If I knew the slim was faster than the original before the Pro came out I'd probably have grabbed the slim a while ago and not made the jump. While there's an upgrade from Slim to Pro, if you don't have 4K I'm not sure if it's noticeable (and upgrading to 4K from 1080p isn't huge anyway). I paid $300 for my pro and I think I'll get half that or a little more out of my old one if I throw a game or two in, so it's a decent priced upgrade.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I was able to snag a PSVR when Wal Mart had some of them for $180 this weekend. We had a ton of fun at Christmas with it and it does everything you expect it to. With the AAA titles it is mostly relegated to a mode and not a full game. I hear the new Resident Evil and a 95th port of Skyrim have full support and I may check them out.

The games we played today were Gran Turismo Sport which has a VR mode where you race against an AI and Keep Talking and No One Explodes. GT is pretty impressive, but you can only race a single AI. Keep Talking is a game where one person has the headset and is trying to diffuse a bomb while the other has instructions on how to diffuse it. It’s an excellent party game.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Can you use it with Steam? My only experience with VR was with an Oculus Rift prototype we got to use in labs for one of my college classes. It was quite fun going through your work in 3-D.

I can't wait until the day when virtual reality gets so good that it becomes the closest thing to time travel in that we can see famous events or enter time periods as if we were really there. There's so much that can be done with it so why not use it for historical purposes?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.