NCAAB Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: NCAAB Thread

Post by Shrykespeare »

So... who had Duke and Mizzou losing in the first round?

Anyone? Anyone?

(Bueller?)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:My brackets are officially busted. Every time I picked the upset the higher seed won, every time I picked the higher seed they were upset.
Pretty much did the same thing. Surprisingly though, 7 of my Elite 8 are still in tact (curse you Murray State!) as well as my entire Final 4
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

At this point, nothing would make me happier than to see Kansas lose (around here, most of the rich kids are Kansas supporters and their fanbase rivals Duke in being obnoxious). Mizzou might as well just fold their basketball program, seeing that they've rarely had success, Kansas gets all of the good recruits in the state (no wonder why they were forced to play just seven players this year and nearly every coach abandons the program) and outside of Columbia, no one really cares about them (half of St. Louis support Illinois, the Southern part of the state is Kansas and Arkansas country and Kansas City is easy to figure out).

With almost everyone leaving, they probably won't even have five players next season (there were just 10 scholarship players on the team this year and losing in the tournament probably cost them any shot of getting future commitments for 2013).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Why do people in missouri like another state's school over their own?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In the Southern part of the area, it's because of Missouri and Missouri State refusing to play each other in basketball (a feud that began in the 1940's) and since Missouri State didn't become Division I until the 1980's, Kansas and Arkansas became the area's choices. When Missouri gets noticed, it's only when they win and they become the school to hate again when they lose a big game or to Kansas.

St. Louis and Kansas City are cities that enter two states, leading to a lot of Kansas and Illinois love while in recent years, a lot of people from the South (mostly Texas and Louisiana) have moved here. Hell, even LSU, Texas and Oklahoma gets more love here than Mizzou does.

Another thing that doesn't help is the excessive ass-kissing between the Big 12 and Kansas. For years (when the Big 12 was the Big 8), the conference headquarters were in Kansas City.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I assume because it's KANSAS, you know? It definitely wouldn't happen in Indiana. We may have more relevant basketball schools per capita than anywhere but North Carolina. You've got IU, Notre Dame, Purdue, Butler, Valpo (for a time), Indiana State... While most people hang on to their alma mater, non-collegiates will pick a school to support. But, normally people will get behind any Indiana school that's doing well (though there's Damers that hate PU and vise versa, same for IU with the two sometimes).

There's practically no Illinois fans and if they're doing well, no one around here cares all that much (I'm on the IL/IN border). In other sports, there's Bears fans all over the place, though it's mostly Colts nowadays, though football seems less regional than the other two main sports (meaning it's more OK to like other teams than other sports would be) and it's about a 40/40/10/10 Cubs/Cardinals/Reds/Other split in baseball. In basketball, most people literally don't care, but if asked they're probably 90+% Pacers.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

A few other things are social classes and bandwagons. The social classes around here fall square into two sections: the rich and prominent people choose Kansas because they win, the middle-class and the poor choose Missouri because they aren't Kansas while the really poor choose Oklahoma or Arkansas (Oklahoma is also a big choice with the rednecks who have money). And this is an area that's very big on bandwagons, choosing the team that wins (this is why you see so many Steelers, Saints and Packers fans when the NFL season goes on).

The funny thing is that outside of basketball, Missouri usually does better than Kansas (who's usually been a doormat outside of basketball).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Only filled out one bracket this year. Can anyone beat a 27/32 first round? Duke's the only one that really screwed me. I had them losing to Witchita State.

My Final Four: Florida vs. Villanova, Creighton vs. Witchita State.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So funny that of the thousands who entered the Billion Dollar challenge, not one single one has a shot at it now. Like anyone's really going to go 63-for-63.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Millions, not thousands. Last year it was 11 million people and they weren't giving away $1 B. This year was capped at 15 million entries. The top 20 still get $100,000 apiece, though.

And there is a guy with a perfect bracket on Yahoo, but he didn't enter the Billion Dollar Challenge one...

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo. ... et/2030973

He'd be only barely over halfway there, though.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm sure that guy filled out ten brackets, and this one happened to be perfect, not the one he chose to use for the billion. It is literally impossible though. The tourny never disappoints in its unpredictability!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I think there is a foolproof method in picking the winners: pick the same few teams that win every year.

The sheer predictability of March Madness is unbelievable. Why keep watching when you already know in advance who will win?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

What in the holy fuck are you babbling about?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:What in the holy fuck are you babbling about?
What he said....

In the fourteen years since the turn of the millennium, we've had eleven different champions. Eight other colleges have made it to the championship game but didn't win in that time period. That's hardly what I'd call a predictable pattern. This is not the Oscars!

Show me one person who predicted Butler would make it to the finals in back-to-back years prior to 2010 and I'd want him dosed with sodium pentothal and hooked up to a polygraph.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And I mean, then you have powerhouses like Mercer that just constantly beat up on the little guy like Duke every year. I mean who couldn't see that coming, am I right?