The NBA Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

The NBA Thread

Post by W »

This season should be a really good one. There's stories to follow everywhere. The Lakers have two major ones themselves in WWronronD and the quest to repeat. The Spurs will be strong as usual, but will their age hurt them yet again. How well will Marion mesh with the Mavs? Can the Hornets be the team they were two years ago? Shaq in Cleveland, Sheed in Boston, VC in Orlando, AI in Memphis... Will Durant take the next step and can OKC become a playoff team with all their young talent? Will Portland take the next step and make a deep playoff run or is that more than a year away? How is Blake Griffin going to turn out? Rose in his second year? Not to mention the offseason.

Anyways, this is how I am going to predict the playoff teams:
EAST
1. Orlando
2. Cleveland
3. Boston
4. Chicago
5. Toronto
6. Atlanta
7. Heat
8. Philadelphia

WEST
1. LA Lakers
2. Portland
3. Dallas
4. Denver
5. Phoenix
6. New Orleans
7. San Antonio
8. Utah

Conference Finals = LA beats SA and CLE beats ORL with LA beating CLE in the end.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: The NBA Thread

Post by Geezer »

I like San Antonio and Boston. The Spurs improved a lot in the offseason adding Jefferson and drafting who could be a major steal in Dejuan Blair. Rasheed will be a big help off the bench for the Celtics. He plays really well when he's not the main guy and has a team around him. They are getting up their in age, but if KG stays healthy, I see them returning to the finals. I don't know how well the Ron Artest thing works out in LA and just don't think they are better than the Spurs this year. Plus its really tough to repeat in any sport.

The wild card is definitely Portland. They are loaded with young talent and could really make a run if Oden puts it together this year and can stay on the court. Orlando is Boston's biggest challenge in the East. They need Vince to actually care about his game and they will be solid. Cleveland looks like they've given Lebron very little help. Shaq is not going to work out there, especially after watching last night. He's so out of shape! It will be fun to see where the King bolts to in the offseason.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm going with the Lakers and the Celtics again. I expect Cleveland to blow it again in LeBron's last season as a Cavalier.

And Blake Griffin will bomb in the NBA. He succeeded in college because no one played defense against him. Now, everyone will be playing defense against him and he will be shut down night after night. He'll be gone in five years with a 6 and 5 average.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah yeah we know we know. You hate Blake Griffin. He's white. White people suck. Got it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Blake Griffin: I'd worry a little about the injury he's got right now. Barring that, I have no doubt that he'll be an NBA player for 12+ years. The only thing is whether he'll be a serviceable bench/starter like Kwame Brown has become or if he'll be the monster than Brand was during his first few years, except for a decade. It all depends on if he develops a shot and if he stays healthy. A Kenyon Martin type career is possible as well.

Artest: Will work well in LA because he's settled down and is really looking out for the team. I really don't see a problem developing.

Richard Jefferson is the one that I'd look to see if he meshes with his team.

LeBron: I don't see where he can go unless it's New Jersey. No one he'd want to go to can sign him. I don't see much in the way of a sign-and-trade. He won't go L.A. (would hurt his legacy to play with Kobe) or N.Y. (no chance there). He could play with Wade or Bosh. Maybe go to OKC. I think he stays put.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

He could go to the Clippers. Simmons has brought this up on several occasions and it really could work out. They have a pretty good nucleus of young talent and the cap room. Griffin, Gordan and Lebron? That could be a serious foundation if Blake pans out. But you have to fear the Clipper curse that has already struck.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Oh God, LeBron on the Clippers? It makes sense but....it just doesn't seem right.

I thought the same as Busc on Blake Griffin, but judging from his offseason, he's someone to be messed with. Hopefully, this injury won't put a damper of the rest of the year.

I think the Spurs will implode this year, RJ being the straw the broke the camel's back. I can't remember if Ginobili is back, but I think Parker is starting to develop a wavering eye, and might be looking to relocate. Duncan is satisfied with his rings, and I don't see any more fight in him to get any more. Jefferson will be frustrated when they start losing, and might be on yet another team this time next year.

Shaq will hurt Cleveland, I still don't understand why they even went and got him. They have the best record in the damn league last year, yet they go and get Shaq, who did nothing but hurt the Suns when he got there. It was a stupid move, and it'll end up driving LeBron away when they get knocked out of the 1st or 2nd round this year.

Finals will probably be Lakers/Celtics or Lakers/Magic. Either way, it'll be a good matchup.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Any Predictions on the playoffs? Obviously I REALLY want the Mavs to finally pull one off this year, but really the West is the Lakers' to lose, which the way they've been playing is entirely possible especially with Kobe's slightly hobbled shot, Bynum out, and their players just a little bit older. The Cavs i

1 Lakers vs. 8 Thunder - With the Lakers not playing completely up to their potential, heck, Durant and the WNBA sounding Thunder could push them like the Hawks pushed the Celtics a couple of years ago. Anything is possible with a young team with the best young player in the league. I think that one will go five or six (let's say six) with the Lakers winning. Matchup to watch: Artest/Pau/Kobe vs. Durant the only way the Thunder have a chance of winning is if Durant has four monster games, which is possible.

4 Utah vs. 5 Denver - This is the hardest to call series of all eight. Jerry Sloan is one of the most consistent coaches in the league and Denver is playing without their coach. With that said, I give the slight edge to Denver (in seven) not because of Carmelo, but because of the real man in charge Chauncey Billups. Matchup to watch: Billups vs. Deron Williams. Whichever point guard controls the game better will be on the winning team.

2 Mavericks vs. 7 Spurs - Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are a year older, but so are Dirk, Kidd, and Jason Terry. Both teams reloaded a bit from last year with the Spurs' additions of Richard Jefferson, second round steal DaJuan Blair, and George Hill coming into his own, but the Mavericks added depth in a big way by trading for Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler while adding major contributor Rodrigue Beaubois in draft day deal with the Thunder. Another hard one to call--and I'm biased--but let's say that history will repeat itself and the Mavs win again in six. The Mavericks' impressive depth should wear down the older Spurs players. Matchups to watch: Dirk vs. Duncan, Kidd/Beaubois vs. Parker.

3 Suns vs. 6 Blazers - This one would be hard to call, but it looks like All-Star Brandon Roy is either not playing or is going to be hobbled during this series. Without him, there's really no way Bayless and Andre Miller can carry the load for seven games. Nash, Stoudemire, and the rest of the gang are going to win in five. Matchup to watch: Lamarcus Aldridge/Marcus Camby vs. Amare Stoudemire.
----------------------------------------
Just like in the West, the East is pretty much the #1 seed's to lose. The Cavaliers are just killing teams this year and with two legitimate centers and the ultra flexible Lebron James they have a lineup they can use for any circumstance. They should be able to beat any team in the Eastern Conference handily except maybe the Magic who beat them last year.

1 Cavaliers vs. 8 Bulls - No doubt the Cavaliers are going to dominate the Bulls. The only question is whether Derek Rose will go off for one game and win it for his team. I'm betting he will. Cavs in five. Matchup to watch: None.

4 Celtics vs 5 Heat - Dwayne Wade no doubt can be a game changer, but the rest of the team seems too old or too young to get it done. With that said, the Celtics are the same way with the exception of Rajon Rondo. I will say the Celtics in six because an older Pierce, Garnett, and Allen beat an older Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Magloire, and Quentin Richardson any day. Matchup to watch: Garnett vs. Beasley/O'Neal.

2 Magic vs. 7 Bobcats - If there is going to be a major upset in this year's playoffs, this is going to be the series. After a first here are a bunch of solid players on this Bobcats team and two in particular that can be major offensive threats in Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson. After a strong showing by this team the Magic are going to overpower them with their big man down low and all around greater talent level. Magic in six. Matchup to watch: Howard vs. Chandler. If Chandler can keep Dwight Howard out of the paint, he can't score or hit the open man. That's a big if, though.

3 Hawks vs. 6 Bucks - The Hawks have been my favorite Eastern Conference team since Jason Terry played there. Every year they seem to add talent to the roster, usually more exciting talent. This year probable Sixth Man of The Year Jamal Crawford has been that talent. Josh Smith can do everything, Joe Johnson is probably going to be a maxed out player next year, Mike Bibby is a tried and true point guard, and Al Horford can hold down the paint like very few others. On the flip side is Milwaukee who have picked awfully awful in the lottery the past decade (including Yi Jianlian, Joe Alexander, Marcus Haislip, Andrew Bogut at number one). It has to be very refreshing to the Milwaukee faithful to see what Brandon Jennings is becoming. Maybe in a few years he'll be a Brandon Roy, but this year he just misses too many shots. Jennings and an ageing Stackhouse might be able to lead them to one game, or maybe not. I'll say the Hawks in five.
------------------------------------
Theoretical Rest of the Playoffs
Lakers beat Nuggets in six
Mavs beat Suns in six
Magic beat Hawks in seven
Cavs beat Celtics in five

Lakers beat Mavs in seven
Cavs beat Magic in six

Cavs beat Lakers in six

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I got:
Lakers in 6
Jazz in 6
Spurs in 7
Suns in 5, provided Roy isn't useful.

Cavs in 4
Celtics in 6
Magic in 5
Hawks in 6

I honestly think the Spurs can make a serious run, and I'm not sold on the Lakers with the way they are playing. I think the Cavs win it all though. The Jazz could be a serious dark horse if they can get by the Nuggets. You are right about that being the toughest call, both of those teams could make deep runs.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Lakers will repeat. The Cavs will blow it again.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Your sports wisdom is unparalleled

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm partisan on this, but the Mavs have reloaded so much with Marion, basically getting a good center free even if you call Butler for Howard a wash, and Beaubois. I think Haywood with Dampier as the number two guy should be able to limit Duncan's production and the Mavs are better than 60-40 (what Accuscore predicts).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Of course, I'm pulling for LA. I think they'll run into Denver in the 2nd round, which can really go either way. And even if they slip past Denver like last year, they'll still have another 6-7 game series with Dallas.

As much as I want a Kobe-LeBron Finals, there's just too many good teams for that to realistically happen. Then again, in 08, when everyone wanted a Lakers-Celtics Finals, it magically happened *cough* Sternmadesureithappened*cough* so it might happen again.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My issue with the Mavs is that they always fold in the playoffs. They have never been successful. And now they draw a team that has been so successful in recent playoff history that they could rename them the Tim Duncan Invitational. The Spurs are peaking at at the right time, and they just got their point guard back. I just see another early exit for the Mavs, like they had against Golden State. They could probably beat half the teams in this field, but I don't believe the Spurs are one of them.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Eh, I think the Spurs time has passed.