The NBA Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: The NBA Thread

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Minnesota's team looks a fair bit better now with Thad Young going there along with Bennett and Wiggins. With Rubio and Pekovic, seems like a good direction they are going
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But expect fan support to drop hard though. Love was the only thing helping that team for a while at the box office.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:But expect fan support to drop hard though. Love was the only thing helping that team for a while at the box office.
I'm convinced Wiggins will be that guy. It'll be just like when KG left then they drafted Love. They should just eff over Toronto by letting Steve Nash coach Bennett and Wiggins and becoming "Canada's Team". Minnesota is basically mini-Canada already.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Free Agency starts now! Basically it doesn't matter what you spend this year, because you're getting a bargain. The cap is going to go up from $67 M this next season to around $90 M, then $108 M. So if you see a guy like Tristain Thompson sign for $60 M/4, that $15 M a year is cheap during year 3. When you compare it to Russell Westbrook making $16 M next year, it sounds insane, but when Westbrook is able to make more than double that in a couple of years (maybe even more if the NBAPA has their way and increases/gets rid of maxes)? It comes out the same as, say, JJ Redick's $7 M this year.

Just remember all that when you hear crazy numbers for guys like Khris Middleton, DeMarre Carrol, Nic Batum, and even Robin Lopez. Many of the big name guys will probably sign 1-2 year max deals (maybe 2 with a Player Option to protect against injury) so they can really max out their salaries in a couple of years. It's going to be a crazy offseason the next few years (even maybe a work stoppage).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

...and Anthony Davis got $145M/5 starting next year (he's under his rookie contract for one more year).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Carroll doesn't seem too unusual since he's with the Hawks and they will try their hardest to keep that starting five together (they are probably a good bench player and a 100% healthy Korver away from a title).

And the Clippers will be buying. Ballmer's got money (and he's doing the right thing by erasing the Sterling era with a new look) and they can't ignore Chris Paul as the leader forever (he, not Griffin, is the real star of the team). In fact, would it wrong to predict the Hawks and Clippers for next year's Finals?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote: In fact, would it wrong to predict the Hawks and Clippers for next year's Finals?
Unless something crazy happens, it would be wrong to predict anyone but Cleveland as the East's champion. Even if Love leaves you'd think they'll get someone in free agency. And considering LeBron beat the East pretty much solo, they're easily the best bet.

And it looks like DeAndre is leaving the Clippers, so their chances have to be diminished even if they do a sign and trade with Dallas for Tyson Chandler. He could also bolt for nothing and they have to rely on Blake playing Center, a much worse center than DeAndre, or Big Baby. None of them are great options. Chalk for the West is Golden State and I'd put the Spurs + LaMarcus and OKC ahead of them as well. LAC is on a second tier with Memphis and Houston. Then there's always Dallas (DeAndre, Dirk, Parsons, Batum, and whoever aren't too bad a lineup) and New Orleans (why aren't any Free Agents looking at NO? AD could have a mini-Wilt season next year at the rate he's progressing). All eight of those teams could conceivable win a championship and after Free Agency there could be a couple of other teams in the mix.

Depending on the day you ask, I'd say LAC is anywhere from #4-#6. If Jordan leaves and they don't grab a FA, I'd say they're 6-8. And I'm all for changing the image of the Clippers, but did they have to change it to THIS image?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

And DeMarre Carroll is off to Toronto. So as of now they're going to have to rely on Thabo or Hardaway Jr. Green and Kawahi are back with the Spurs and Splitter is gone (traded to Atlanta. Duncan, LMA, Leonard, Green, Parker + Ginobili?

Al-Farouq Aminu signed for $30 M/4 to the Blazers. He's averaged 6/5/1 for his career.
Dragic gets $90/5 from the Heat.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Jimmy Butler (90/5), Tristain Thompson (80/5), Kevin Love (no numbers yet) have said they're staying put with the Bulls, Cavs, and Cavs.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Hawks are going to be hurting without Carroll.

I love DJ on the Mavs, though they'd be now as good as the Clippers have been in the past few years. So unless they make some more deals, it's a lateral move.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Hawks are going to be hurting without Carroll.

I love DJ on the Mavs, though they'd be now as good as the Clippers have been in the past few years. So unless they make some more deals, it's a lateral move.
They're possibly getting Wes Matthews. And there are a ton of point guards who will take a 1 year deal this year considering the ramifications next year. So that could fill out the upcoming roster. Will that foundation be enough for an all-star player to come in within the next two years? I don't know, but the chances are better than when they were going for Dwight and Deron.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I thought the Mavs were in front of the Wes Matthew sweepstakes, to go along with DJ.

And it looks like Aldridge to the Spurs is pretty much a guarantee, even if the Suns are making a late run.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The draft lottery is Monday night and there are a lot of interesting scenarios. Do the Celtics get the top pick (they are expected to keep the pick as Isaiah Thomas really wants Fultz in Boston) or do they let the Nets have it in a surprise move? What happens with the Lakers' pick? Does the Boogie trade sort of redeem itself if the Kings get the Pelicans' pick? Might the Sixers end up with two of the top five picks? And if they do, do they trade one of the picks (Brooklyn has two first rounders while Portland has three)? Or will we get a (extremely unlikely) version of 1993 where the Heat get the top pick with the lowest odds?

All I know is that the next month will get crazy. The draft, combined with the Western Conference Finals everyone wanted last year and a Game 7 on Sunday night (I kind of like the Wizards, even though it's in Boston), is going to make the NBA the big deal.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:The draft lottery is Monday night and there are a lot of interesting scenarios. Do the Celtics get the top pick (they are expected to keep the pick as Isaiah Thomas really wants Fultz in Boston) or do they let the Nets have it in a surprise move? What happens with the Lakers' pick? Does the Boogie trade sort of redeem itself if the Kings get the Pelicans' pick? Might the Sixers end up with two of the top five picks? And if they do, do they trade one of the picks (Brooklyn has two first rounders while Portland has three)? Or will we get a (extremely unlikely) version of 1993 where the Heat get the top pick with the lowest odds?

All I know is that the next month will get crazy. The draft, combined with the Western Conference Finals everyone wanted last year and a Game 7 on Sunday night (I kind of like the Wizards, even though it's in Boston), is going to make the NBA the big deal.
Let the Nets have the pick? What are you talking about? This asset is worth more than Most All Stars It's a pick swap and the Celtics are assured a top 4 selection and must give up their mid 20s pick to do it. It's one of the biggest fleeces in NBA history getting four top picks (#3, # 6, #1-4, ?) and they dump three aging contracts to be able to build quickly? I won the lottery. Do I burn the winning ticket in a "surprise move?" They're taking it.

Next year the Lakers' pick is unprotected, but Philly should still hope they get #4 and have to give it up. This draft is too good.

Unless they hit a winning ball (1-3), nothing will make up for Boogie in Sacramento.

I wish they'd have retained Sam Hinkie. The only way to win championships in the NBA is to get superstars. The best way to do that is through the lottery. They shouldn't trade those two high picks, especially in this draft. Zero percent chance Hinkie would do it, but you never know now.

I've been looking forward to Monday for half the season. So much craziness. In just a few minutes a teams net worth could jump up a ton.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Boogie trade was supposed to turn New Orleans into an instant powerhouse and it failed to do that (a Cousins/Davis power team shouldn't struggle to finish just two games ahead of Sacramento, especially when in a few states away, Russell Westbrook manages to carry a team of spare parts to the playoffs). Yes, it was an awful trade on paper and Divac deserves to get fired over it but it's not as bad of a trade as it seems, especially if the Kings get that pick and it becomes something decent.

And some people have questioned whether the Celtics really need the top pick, especially since Fultz is a very similar player to Thomas (though Thomas wants him for that exact reason). Also, there's the possibility that Fultz might not be the real deal (as his team wasn't very good in the Pac-12) and Lonzo Ball (of the Internet's most popular sibling team right now) might be the breakout of the draft.