The NBA Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The NBA Thread

Post by W »

Love has all the power unless someone wants to give more than that for a one year rental. A guy that won't be there in a year's time for last year's #1 pick, two first rounders and a decent young wing still on his rookie contract? No-brainer considering you're obviously not getting multiple picks from Boston, Klay Thompson from Golden State, or Taj Gibson + picks from the Bulls since Love says he's only signing an extension with Cleveland now.

You can get twenty-five cents on the dollar with Cleveland, ten cents on the dollar everywhere else, or nothing next year.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Anthony Bennett sucks, Waiters is a 6th man, and the pick will be in the late 20's. That is not a package that I'm trading Kevin freaking Love for. If he's going to Cleveland, it HAS to be for Wiggins. And if I'm the Cavs, I do it. Love would sign an extension there, so he wouldn't be just a rental.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Geezer wrote:Anthony Bennett sucks, Waiters is a 6th man, and the pick will be in the late 20's. That is not a package that I'm trading Kevin freaking Love for. If he's going to Cleveland, it HAS to be for Wiggins. And if I'm the Cavs, I do it. Love would sign an extension there, so he wouldn't be just a rental.
Exactly. That's a shit deal for the Wolves and I think they know they can get a better one in Cleveland or not.

The Twolves have an entire year to negotiate a package with any team before he leaves, there's no rush - he's not going to get worse.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Question: have the Timberwolves ever made a good trade?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think so. You guys are acting like this is supposed to be a "fair trade." This is a "we're losing our star, what can we get to recoup as much as we can?" deal. If you let the year run out, you lose him and get even less (consider the Grant Hill deal, but Ben Wallace not going crazy). This is all predicated on Love saying he wants to re-up with the Cavs and meaning he doesn't want to re-up with someone else. If he's still considering extending with someone else, you can get a better deal, maybe even Wiggins. But if the Cavs know they're the only place he's extending, you're getting Bennett, Waiters, and picks.

They should have traded him before the draft.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The NBA will now have gold tabs on the collar of team jerseys denoting when a team has won a championship. In the process, it looks like that the Seattle SuperSonics and the Oklahoma City Thunder are officially separate entities in the league's eyes (as the Thunder jerseys will not have the tab).

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11219 ... won-titles

Teams that will have the tab:
Atlanta Hawks (won as the St. Louis Hawks)
Boston Celtics
Chicago Bulls
Dallas Mavericks
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Los Angeles Lakers
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings (Though they won as the Rochester Royals, the 2014-15 jersey in the Adidas catalog did not have the tab. The NBA is seeking to have this one updated.)
San Antonio Spurs
Washington Wizards (won as the Washington Bullets)

The current tab will be the same size on every team but apparently, there will be a consideration to allow for bigger tabs in the near future. As a result, gold could become a future permanent color for the Celtics.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Because I can't sleep, I've got nearly all my schoolwork this week out of the way and sports simulators are addicting, I decided to do a Royal Rumble-style matchup with every NBA team.

Basically, here are the rules:
1. Teams draw a number (with the team that draws #1 hosting the first game).
2. A team plays until they lose.
3. Winners of the previous game host. The road team that beats them hosts the next game and so on.

Here were the results (ordered by number, team, record and final result):

1 Houston - 4-1, lost to Philadelphia 107-103
2 Utah - 0-1, lost to Houston 87-77
3 Orlando - 0-1, lost to Houston 109-64
4 Indiana - 0-1, lost to Houston 104-102
5 Denver - 0-1, lost to Houston 136-95
6 Philadelphia - 1-1, lost to Chicago 110-100
7 Chicago - 5-1, lost to L.A. Clippers 101-86
8 Cleveland - 0-1, lost to Chicago 113-106
9 Minnesota - 0-1, lost to Chicago 104-92
10 Oklahoma City - 0-1, lost to Chicago 103-100
11 Portland - 0-1, lost to Chicago 102-91
12 L.A. Clippers - 1-1, lost to Detroit 93-90
13 Detroit - 2-1, lost to Atlanta 107-93
14 Boston - 0-1, lost to Detroit 104-91
15 Atlanta - 1-1, lost to Sacramento 104-97
16 Sacramento - 2-1, lost to Toronto 126-100
17 Charlotte - 0-1, lost to Sacramento 99-81
18 Toronto - 1-1, lost to Golden State 97-79
19 Golden State - 1-1, lost to L.A. Lakers 105-96
20 L.A. Lakers - 1-1, lost to New Orleans 123-104
21 New Orleans - 2-1, lost to Memphis 98-94
22 Dallas - 0-1, lost to New Orleans 116-88
23 Memphis - 6-1, lost to Washington 111-91
24 New York - 0-1, lost to Memphis 87-78
25 San Antonio - 0-1, lost to Memphis 116-107
26 Milwaukee - 0-1, lost to Memphis 101-90
27 Miami - 0-1, lost to Memphis 97-95
28 Brooklyn - 0-1, lost to Memphis 107-105
29 Washington - 1-1, lost to Phoenix 100-91
30 Phoenix - 1-0, won Royal Rumble

Congratulations, Shryke. Even though your team missed the playoffs, they won at NBA Royal Rumble.

I'm also working on some called Basketball Hell. That's basically where every team in a given season faces each other in an attempt to see who is the worst. Winning teams escape Basketball Hell. The last team standing is damned for all eternity in Basketball Hell (well, until the all-encompassing tournament arrives). Right now, I've done every season from 1950-51 to 1984-85 (along with every ABA season). I've learned that the team with the worst record isn't always going to be the last team standing (and in at least one case, the NBA champion that year got the dubious honor of Basketball Hell).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Sounds interesting boosh. What do y'all think of the Detroit Pistons new look lineup? I'm confident van Gundy can cobble together a playoffs team. Jennings needs to stand up, Smith needs to be a defensive anchor and I hope kcp can elevate and become consistent
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

With Joe Dumars now gone, the team can finally build something without self-destructing every few years (I will never understand that Billups-for-Iverson trade he made). But I still think they are a few years away from contention (especially since the Central will be hell with Chicago, Indiana and a resurgent Cleveland there).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The Pistons have the two of the "stars" in the league that I wouldn't want, Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith. Both could be excellent players that lead the Pistons to a second round playoff run (especially with Drummond and Monroe), but both don't know a bad shot when they see one. With Jennings, you can't have him shoot 40%. You just can't. And Smith could have been the next Matrix, but jacks up too many bad shots. Teams beg him to take threes and long twos... and he obliges.

I said the same thing about Monta Ellis, though. He was traded to my team and had a great season last year, so what do I know? Maybe the change in leadership will help.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And it's looking like that Wiggins-for-Love trade might be happening. The Cavaliers have changed their stance and are interested in making the deal.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It makes sense for both sides. Cleveland doesn't need to let Wiggins develop when they have LeBron bogarting the ball, along with Kyrie. Add Love and they have a true championship caliber team. Minnesota on the other hand has nothing but time to let Wiggins become one of the best in the game, playing with a distributor like Rubio. I hate that LeBron will be that much closer to another ring, but I just can't see how either side says no here.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Thing is, why do they need love? Bennett will need the game time to grow. And i can see Wiggins being a true star in a couple of years. Why not keep the roster a bit younger? They have the 3 point firepower already and you know Lebron can gobble up rebounds as good as most. And theres no guarantee Love will be injury free, id keep 3 No.1 picks on the same roster let LeBron teach him a thing or two and if they dont win next season, id almost put money on them winning the one after
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I wouldn't deal Wiggins. I believe, developed properly, he's the perfect number two to LeBron. He's a great defender already and all signs point to him being an elite one sooner rather than later. That means LeBron won't have to defend the best player on the floor every game like he did in Miami. I believe this kid's floor is 15 ppg and a top 5 wing defender and his ceiling is practically infinite. I think he'll be Tracy McGrady that plays first team All-NBA defense.

I know, the argument isn't that he won't be good. Most sane people expect a good-great career out of him. The point is that Love makes them a contender now and you won't know what Wiggins can do in the NBA until he's on the court. My question is, why trade him now? If I were managing the Cavs, I wouldn't deal LeBron, Wiggins, or Kyrie. But, why not give them a few months to figure things out? The Warriors have said they aren't dealing Klay Thompson. There's no way he's signing with the Bulls now that they amnestied Boozer and brought in Pau. He's not going to waste his prime during a Boston rebuild. Worst case scenerio is Wiggins doesn't develop fast enough and you pull the trigger in January. The Bennett, Waiters, and two or three picks deal is the best you're going to get for a guy that will be on whatever team he joins for one year. Otherwise, he's bolting as soon as his contract is up and the Cavs are getting him anyway.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't think you understand how good Kevin Love is. A guy who can legitimately put up 25/15 a night and stretch the floor? Put that on top of LeBron and Kyrie and you win a title. That's the goal here! Wiggins can be all the things you say he will become. I too believe he will. The question is when will that be? 3 years? 5? When LeBron is past his prime and you lose out on winning multiple championships because you weren't willing to deal a potential top 5 player for a current top 10 player? I think they'd be stupid not to make sure they get the deal done. And you can't say Love won't sign with another team if traded there, you're not inside his head. How often are players of his caliber traded and they only spend just the one year in town and leave? Very rarely. Most deals are contingent upon an extension, and any for Love would be too. I'd be shocked if the beyond-stupid deal of Cleveland's spare parts would ever be the best possible deal for the future of the Timberwolves.