The NBA Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The NBA Thread

Post by Buscemi »

In Minnesota, Sullinger could be a big bulging dick in a little pond (or should I say, team athletic supporter?).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Isaiah Austin, who was projected as a late first-round pick, has been forced to end his career after being diagnosed with Marfan syndrome.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/ ... -condition
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Carmelo will opt out of his final year tomorrow morning, making him a free agent this summer.

Everyone is thinking he'll go to Chicago, which would be a great matchup for Miami if Rose comes back close to his 100%.

With Rose and Melo doing the offensive work and Taj/Noah handling down low D, they could be scary.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

But they still won't amount to much in the playoffs.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ahhhh... My favorite day in the sports calendar, the NBA draft. Plus four World Cup matches, two which matter for the US who has their own fate in their hands PLUS the ability to completely fuck up and still qualify.

This draft should be a good one in both quality and entertainment value. If there's a bunch of trades it may be the best one since I started watching them. How the top 8 shake out, Parker or Wiggins, how far will Embiid fall, where does Saric/Napier/McDermott go? These are the questions I'm asking at this point.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm stoked for the draft. My Suns have three picks in the first round, but I know there is no way they are going to draft three players to add to an already crowded roster. They're still developing Alex Len and Archie Goodwin, and though I have my doubts about the former, I think the latter has the potential to be a star. His speed is incredible.

I don't think there is a deal in place yet with Bledsoe or Tucker, and I have to believe that any possible deal to get Kevin Love would involve them, as most of their other players (Dragic, Green, the Morris twins) are still under contract. Plumlee had a great season, but could become expendable if they sign Love.

Should be exciting!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Outside of maybe Dragic, the Suns would give up anyone on their roster for Kevin Love. He's a franchise player, while every Suns player is a role player.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Outside of maybe Dragic, the Suns would give up anyone on their roster for Kevin Love. He's a franchise player, while every Suns player is a role player.
Maybe Bledsoe depending on what his prognosis is.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Winners:
I know people will hate me saying this, but I really like what Philadelphia is doing. As long as the NBA is set up where you want to be extremely good or God awful and nowhere in between and doesn't punish tankers, you've got to tank if it's in your best interest. By grabbing Embiid, Saric, and a couple of picks (their own for next year, I believe) you bring basically nothing to a roster that was near-historical in its awfulness. But also in a year or two you get the best prospect in each of the last two drafts, a guy that looks to be Turkoglu in his prime (20/5/5), last year's rookie of the year, and a probable top three pick next year. It's a lot of gambles, but that's how you build a team.

Utah had a great draft as well. I'm high on Exum, though that may just be the Penny comparison (he was my favorite player as a kid). They got great value at both first round spots and boosted their backcourt both times, which is where they needed help. Seemingly they're going to finally let their big guys develop. How Exum and Burke's chemistry will be, I don't know.

Cleveland, Milwaukee, and the Lakers couldn't have drafted better without trades. Cleveland grabs Wiggins who is the now/future combo that Parker and Embiid represent. Parker is now Milwaukee's very much needed go-to guy. And Randle is a right now player that can play well for a team where rebuilding is not an option (though it probably should be) but also has that "potential future all-star" possibility.

Losers:
I don't like what Orlando did. They gave up way to much for Payton and drafted Gordon too high. They could have got Randle or Vonleh who I think will be better players in the future... or even Penny 2, Dante Exum.

Sacramento picks a guy that's almost a carbon copy of Ben McLemore, who they took last year? Jimmer, McLemore, Stauskas... They must love guys that can shoot and do little else.

If Rondo is traded and they get much at all in return, the Celtics will probably be on the Winners side. Otherwise they can't use both Smart and Rondo at the same time. Randle is probably the better pick here... Unless Rondo's gone.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I think both Philadelphia and Cleveland lost. The Sixers are sure to be tanking for another season (and Carter-Williams is going to continue to take shots he can't make) while the Cavaliers are pairing another potential Kansas dud with a coach who has no NBA experience whatsoever. If I were Kyrie Irving, I'd ask for a trade.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Come on Boston, go ahead and trade Rondo to the Lakers. And if we can move Gasol for Melo or Love somehow, that'd be amazing.

I too like what the Sixers are doing. I heard the announcers mention that Embiid averaged 19 ppt, 14 rpg, and 5 blocks per 36 minutes. If he stays healthy, that guy could be scary.

I really loved that Silver still drafted Isiah Austin. That's all around class from the NBA, it really sucks that he got so close to the League before getting shafted by something he can't control.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Come on Boston, go ahead and trade Rondo to the Lakers. And if we can move Gasol for Melo or Love somehow, that'd be amazing.

I too like what the Sixers are doing. I heard the announcers mention that Embiid averaged 19 ppt, 14 rpg, and 5 blocks per 36 minutes. If he stays healthy, that guy could be scary.

I really loved that Silver still drafted Isiah Austin. That's all around class from the NBA, it really sucks that he got so close to the League before getting shafted by something he can't control.
...I don't know what they'd deal the Celtics for Rondo. A couple of picks maybe? I'd want Randle and a first rounder or two.

Embiid is obviously a risk, but a risk well worth taking. If you have a guy that's serious potential is "Hakeem offensively, but Ibaka with a few more inches defensively," you take that risk. People say he could be the next Oden who flames out early because of injuries, but Oden never had this potential. Pairing him and Noel together could be monstrous. And if MCW is jacking up shots left and right at least he's learning. He's also very young and has the size at the point guard position to make passes other PGs can't as well as play in the paint against his man. I saw a guy on Sportscenter say Philly had the absolute worst draft this year because of the injury to Embiid and the fact that fans will hate tanking another year. If I were a Sixers fan, I'd say "Tank away, trade all picks after next year and build for 2-10 years from now."

And I still fail to see the "potential Kansas duds" Buscemi is talking about. Like I said before, Kansas never got these one and done kids until this last year and Wiggins has been the #1 rated player in his class for forever. I don't see him having a worse career than, say, Rudy Gay (20/6/3, guy that gets to the rim, but can't shoot as well as he thinks) at the absolute worst and I believe he could be around Kobe level at his absolute best potential. He'll obviously fall between the two, but I'm betting perennial All-Star (maybe Vince Carter/Tracy McGrady). If I'm Kyrie, I'm asking to be maxed out.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

W wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Come on Boston, go ahead and trade Rondo to the Lakers. And if we can move Gasol for Melo or Love somehow, that'd be amazing.

...I don't know what they'd deal the Celtics for Rondo. A couple of picks maybe? I'd want Randle and a first rounder or two.
Hell, they gave up Pierce and KG for a group of underachievers and picks. I don't see why they wouldn't take our scrubs and our 1st rounders for the next few years. I'm sure Rondo doesn't want to waste any more time in Boston during their rebuilding years, just like KG and Pierce didn't want to, and they'd deal him away for a bunch of picks.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't think the Celtics would deal with the Lakers on principle. Too many decades of bad blood between the franchises, the Celtics wouldn't help their arch nemesis win.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Unless its a win-win for both teams, which probably will never happen lol

Not sure why Magic passed on Exum, the combo with Olapido would be awesome, and Vucevic is improving fast. Utah would be stoked.

I reckon the cavs made the right choice, they WILL improve this year. Kyrie Irving - Andrew Wiggins - Luol Deng - Anthony Bennet - Varejao, with a decent bench, they could be the team to watch (apart from Detriot)

And Jabari Parker is a lock for Rookie of the Year.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale