The World Cup Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

The World Cup Thread

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hello everyone, this is officially the first thread ive started, im sorted surprised no-one has actually started a thread for this as its so close. Hope to get some comments on the World Cup which is just about to start over in South Africa. As an Aussie, part german and part swiss im pretty excited as all my teams have made it through to the biggest stage in soccer or football whatever you wanna call it.

So i have a few question for you fans of the world game,

Who do you think will win each group? And Who will get runner up and make it to the round of 16?

How do you think your team (or country) will go?

Who will score the most goals?

and finally

Who will will the whole tournament?

Heres a list of the groups:

Group A
Frnace
Mexico
South Africa
Uruguay

Group B
Argentina
Greece
Korea
Nigeria

Group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
Australia
Germany
Ghana
Serbia

Group E
Cameroon
Denmark
Japan
Netherlands

Group F
Italy
New Zealand
Paraguay
Slovakia

Group G
Brazil
Ivory Coast
Portugal
North Korea

Group H
China
Honduras
Spain
Switzerland

Incase you didn't know, in each group every team plays each other once, and if you dont know how the tournament works, well you probably hate soccer. C'mon Australia!!!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: The World Cup Thread

Post by silversurfer19 »

Here's how I think the groups may play out:

Group A Winners/Runner's Up
France
Mexico

Group B Winners/Runner's Up
Argentina
Greece

Group C Winners/Runner's Up
England
USA

Group D Winners/Runner's Up
Germany
Serbia

Group E Winners/Runner's Up
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F Winners/Runner's Up
Italy
Slovakia

Group G Winners/Runner's Up
Brazil
Portugal

Group H Winners/Runner's Up
Spain
Switzerland

I'd say Spain are probably favourites for the whole thing, though I wouldn't count out Italy or Germany, as they always do well in the WC. For my interests, England will probably get through the group stages but don't look good enough for any further than the quaters at best, while New Zealand won't even get out of their group (or the bottom of their league...). It will be interesting to see how the African nations do, as the 'home' teams always up there game, and while I don't think South Africa have a chance, some of the other teams could go far. I don't think France are the team they once were. Argentina have left a lot of good players at home and Maradona doesn't seem that great a manager, but they still have an awesome attacking lineup. Brazil are always contenders. It's difficult to predict as always though.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Heres what i think:

Group A
Winner: France
R/U: Uruguay

Group B

Winner: Argentina
R/U: Greece

Group C
Winner: England
R/U: USA

Group D
W: Germany
R/U: Australia

Group E
W: Netherlands
R/U: Cameroon

Group F
W: Italy
R/U: Paraguay

Group G
W: Brazil
R/U: Ivory Coast

Group H
W: Spain
R/U: Honduras

I think Australia will just make it to the Round of 16 (or hope because Ghana and Serbia aren't easy opponents)
Germany should reach the Quarter Finals but wont get past that
Switzerland will probably get a win against China but lose their other 2 matches so they will sit 3rd for their group and stay there.

I think Wayne Rooney from England has a good chance to get the Golden Boot, depending on how many goals Jermaine Defoe gets. But David Villa also has a good chance again depending on the countrys other main striker: Fernando Torres. Brazils Luis Fabiano and Germany's Miroslav Klose are outside chances. What do you think?

And to win the Whole competition, well Brazil look soild, Spain are favourites but im going to say Diego Maradona will lead Argentina to glory. I just think there will be a major upset or 2 in the Quarter Finals, maybe even in the round of 16, i mean just look at USA and Japan for those answers.

Well thats my input, what do you guys think?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I don't hate soccer, i actually enjoy it whenever i get to watch it, but we get so little of it around these parts that i know hardly anything about it and i don't know how the tourny works.

and just to be biased, go USA! and MEXICO!! and SOUTH AFRICA!!!

PS I did watch the Kick off Concert tour on vevo, that was fun.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I will be watching as much as I can, which means with matches screening at 7.30pm, 10pm, and 2.30am (my local time) more sleep deprivation is ahead of me. Apart from Australia I would actually like to see England win the thing so we don't have to hear about '66 every World Cup (they have a great group draw, and after that it's all down to on the day so anything can happen). I think NZ have no chance but it would be great if they could at least win a match.Spain are obviously the in-form favourites, but overall as long as Italy don't win it I won't be complaining (that moment from 4 years ago still hurts :evil: ).

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I only know one thing:

the US will get killed yet again.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Im not so sure USA will get killed, they just beat Australia in a friendly 3-1 and their group is easy enough for them to make the round of 16, its just England that you the US will get Slaughtered, probably 4-0 or something.

And yeah, leestu, i hear you. I hope Italy die! But they have an average group too, so i can only hope they drown in the finals. England huh? yeah they can do it for sure. They really do go on about how good and unlucky they are (i work in an Irish/Scottish bar, which gets the odd old Pommy who boasts till he's too drunk to walk), so to shut them up would be good too.

Spain, i hope get injuries to every good player, i dont want them to win at all.

And UDM ill go into the Tournament later, unless someone wants to explain it to you earlier...Barca perhaps?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Anyone seen this? The Ronaldo bits were the best part but the parts with Wayne Rooney are pretty weak (I don't know why but Rooney seems like a dick in real life).

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think most English believe this is the least chance they have of winning the tournament in a long time. The team just isn't good enough, and even then, the players that are there are not settled. We still have no idea who is playing in goal (one of the most important positions to be set in stone), our captain (Rio Ferdinand) has just withdrawn injured and leaving us with Ledley King who has a knee problem and is never able to play two matches consecutively, Ashley Cole is just back from injury while the other fullback can't defend. In midfield we have no width on the left, while Gerrard and Lampard cannot play together. And we still persist with Emile Heskey up front. The only guy we can rely on is Rooney. No chance for England, I'd say.

I think USA should get out of their group. England are the favourites to win the group, but USA are no pushovers and we certainly won't win 4-0. Landon Donovan had a great spell in England (I am an Everton fan), he really impressed and I think Everton would want him back in a second. And they kicked Australia's ass so that's always good!

p.s and yes, I'm up at 2:30am watching the opening match. Mexico look a lot better than SA.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Finally the World Cup is back. Just watched the first half, and while Mexico has been easily better on the ball and overall, South Africa have done well on a couple of occasions when counter attacking.

IMO France will have a hard time making it out of this group. They have been so bad lately and their big-name players are just not playing that well. They were lucky to be there in the first place.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yes, I haven't been impressed by France at all lately, but they should still get through the group as neither Mexico or SA have proved to have anything to trouble them too much in the first half. I'm kind of torn on wanting Steven Pienaar to have a good game; as an Everton fan its always nice to see a player from my club play, but at the same time I think he is playing to put himself in the shop window...

And top scorer I reckon would be David Villa, his record is phenomenol.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

France may need the headbutt defense.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Here is my predictions on who are gonna come out of the Group Stage:

Group A
France
Mexico

Group B
Argentina
South Korea

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Germany
Australia

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Chile

I would love for England to win it (even though i live in Australia now) but can't see them getting past the Semi-Finals. Also, i think that Australia might struggle to get out of their group but if they do i can't see them getting past the Second Round.

It will probably be a Brazil/Spain final with Spain to win it.
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

It's a shame that will always be the thing the world remembers of Zidane. He was such a talented player but I guess a little too hot headed.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Cracking first goal to start the tournament. 1-0 SA.