The World Cup Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The World Cup Thread

Post by transformers2 »

Great opening match. Mexico did outplay South Africa and I think they would have easily won if they had capitalized on one of the many opportunites they had in the first half.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I don't think either team played particularly well, SA were good on the break, but other than that they looked a little lost with the ball. Mexico looked far more dangerous against England in their friendly a couple of weeks ago. An entertaining game though, but I doubt we'll see either past the group stages based on that showing. I guess we'll get a better idea later on when France play Uruguay.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Group A
France
Mexico

Group B
Argentina
Greece

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Germany
Australia

Group E ????
Japan
Netherlands

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Ivory Coast

Group H
Spain
Switzerland

I've got Argentina for most goals/winning. I will admit I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to soccer. I have to miss part of England vs. USA because my parents are getting their vows renewed...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Here are my predictions...

Group A
France
Mexico

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria

Group C
USA
England

Group D
Germany
Austraila

Group E
Cameroon
Neatherlands

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Swizterland
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

some interesting predictions, group E seems to be the one anyone can win.

And yeah what a way to start, South Africa had a fantastic goal to start to tournament, but Mexico pegged 1 back to draw. The France - Uruguay match wasn't that great, but the like always with a 0-0 draw.

Now, off to work :(
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

I was betting on 1-1 and 0-0 for the first 2 matches on WC 2010, so for now I am temporarily No.1 in a contest made by a Romanian soccer prediction site...

My predictions:

Group A
Mexico
South Africa

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria

Group C
England
Slovenia

Group D
Germany
Serbia

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Slovakia

Group G
Brazil
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Switzerland

I bet for Spain to win the tournament. Brazil - 2nd, Argentina - 3rd and Serbia - 4th - will be the surprise of the competition ;)

Speaking of movies and soccer, what about Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz? Computer generated or not?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Most of it was obviously CGI but I imagine that some of the early pieces were real (such as the simple kicks).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Wow, did you really predict that delf? Can you predict the next few matches for me, i wanna see if you're for real! Plus, i have my own tipping goin, and im losing...

And Slovakia and Slovenia to get thru with the Serbs getting to the Semis??? I think that is a very long shot, a massive prediction. But, anything can happen in soccer these days. I really hope Australia defeat Ghana and go on to draw Serbia and Germany, that would be awesome. :D

I think everyone is overestimating Switzerland, i hope they do well as a swiss but im thinking Honduras will perform well. WHO KNOWS?

Aussie Aussie Aussie!! Oi Oi Oi!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Greece disappointed today. South Korea have a shot at getting out of their group, along with Argentina.

I have little faith in France. The qualifications were so difficult, and controversed, that all France can do is surprise us. Everyone expect us to lose, even here in France. We don't trust Domenech, we don't trust all our great players to play as a team. I mean, on the paper, we have one of the Top 3 team in the world, with our players. We have probably the most promising goalkeeper. But those great players don't know how to play together. They are great in their clubs, Bayern, MU, Chelsea, Arsenal, but in the National team, they're incapable of playing their greatest football. Our only shot is that they become transfigurated by the competition, like we did in 2006 when we were terrible in qualifications and in the first phase, but still managed to reach the Final. But we had Zidane then.

IN the other groups, I'd bet on Spain, of course, and Netherlands. Germany, Italy and England don't impress me much.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

What a great game the Argentina vs Nigeria match was. Lionel Messi was exciting to watch, and the Nigerian goalkeeper made some great saves. It was a fascinating battle between the two players. The goalie deserved the man of the match status in a losing side.
USA might have been a bit lucky to escape with a draw, and how much crap is the unfortunate Green gonna get?

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

He isn't unfortunate, he just sucks. Can't believe he is keeping Hart and James on the bench.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

England has had problems those past few years with their goalkeepers. It's weird there is so few great goalies across the Channel.
In France we don't always play beautifully on the field, but we always have a great goalkeeper. We have four or five goalkeepers that could keep the cage on an international level. That's the best thing we have right now.
Our goalkeeper, Lloris, is very young (I think he is 23), but he is incredible. His steady hands qualified us for the World Cup much more than Thierry Henry's ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Wow, did you really predict that delf? Can you predict the next few matches for me, i wanna see if you're for real! Plus, i have my own tipping goin, and im losing...
Yes, of course. Here you go: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

I made some good bets on the beginning, BUT England and Serbia made me sad :D Thank you, Green! Thank you Serbia's red card...
The document linked above contains the bets of my friends and I... first sheet contains all the bets made UNTIL the beginning of World Cup, and the second will contain the ones after the start of WC, with minimum of 1 minute before the start of the match, and also some BONUS-es... 3 points for exact score and 1 point for exact prognostic...
If I knew that there are also here some Soccer fans, one tournament like this with us betting on all the matches would be more then interesting... Maybe next time, in 2014 ;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

BarcaRulz wrote:He isn't unfortunate, he just sucks. Can't believe he is keeping Hart and James on the bench.
James has fitness problems and Hart is deemed to inexperienced. I'd have gone with Hart from the start, and maybe we'll see him against Algeria (I'm pretty sure Green will be relegated to the bench now), but if James is fit he will definitely play. He wasn't the only problem we had though. Milner was still ill but played on the left, and was then replaced by the useless Shaun Wright Phillips. They should have played Joe Cole, and they also need to put Heskey into retirement. Yes he does a lot of build up play, but a striker should score. He can't do that. I'd rather we played 4-5-1 and pushed Gerrard forward. Everyone knows he and Lampard can't play together (as proved by Lampard's disappearing act), and Rooney would have much better support from Gerrard. And we need Barry to play anchor as soon as he is fit. Oh, and we need a new centre back. King is a crock, Carragher is too slow. They should have included England's best defender in the squad, Phil Jagielka. He would have steadied the ship. Doesn't look great for England, but then we knew that already. Not expecting anything from them. USA did ok though, and they will be pleased with the result.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Yay.. We got trounced by Germany.. And when I say trounced, I mean IT. Apart from the first 10-ish minutes we were crap, and even in the first ten minutes we conceded because our defensive line was pathetic. I can't believe Pim didn't change the formation after the first 20 minutes, it was clear that playing an offside trap was NOT working, especially when your fastest defender happens to be slower than then Pope, and probably older than him too.

Only chance we have at making the round of 16 is to win against both Ghana and Serbia. Will be interesting, personally I think this is over before it began as Ghana has too much speed, and Serbia has too much quality.