The MLB Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: The MLB Thread

Post by Geezer »

I hope your D'backs get in man. I play in a fantasy league with Giants fans who are beyond annoying talking about their GREATEST PITCHING STAFF EVER. I would LOVE to see the upstart boys from Arizona take them down.

Goldschmidt really came out of nowhere. Wasn't on anyone's prospect radar before the season, but now, he looks to be one of the better ones around all of baseball.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

GREATEST PITCHING STAFF EVER can't win games if their offense can't score any runs... simple as that. Which is why they got Beltran... but now he's hurt.

Personally I don't have anything against the Giants, but I like parity in baseball so I'd like to see the D'backs win the West as well.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Gonna be tough. We're up two games as of today, but we got a motherfucker of a road trip coming up. Three in Philly (starting with Halliday), three in Atlanta and four in Washington. Meanwhile, SF gets Atlanta, then Houston, San Diego and the Cubs. If we're still in first place in ten days, I'll be ecstatic.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Yeah, but Halladay can be beaten, Atlanta's pitching staff is hurt (missing Hanson AND Jurrjens), and Washington is still a year or so away from contending...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Jurrjens will be back on wednesday. Hanson has sucked lately before going on the DL. I know this because I have them both on one of my fantasy teams.

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Wow, that's both lucky (because they've been solid all year) and unlucky (that they got hurt at the same time). Must mean you have a heck of a pitching staff.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I do, also have David Price, Jaime Garcia (awesome early, struggled more lately), Daniel Hudson and Justin Masterson. Keeper league where we keep 2 pitchers, Hanson and Price are mine.

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

I'd rather have that than what I've got -- I have Lincecum (down year, but still good stats except for wins), James Shields (money), John Danks (terrible early, has been great since June), Jake Peavy (picked up after his second DL stint, he's been serviceable), and I rotate my 5th starter based on matchups because I drafted Wade Davis and Jake Westbrook and neither did anything worth keeping.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I had Lincecum most of last year and the year before. Traded him for Hanley Ramirez last year. Not working out so well this year...

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow.

Lyle Overbay, who the D'Backs picked up after losing Xavier Nady to a broken hand, smashes a two-RBI triple off of Halladay in the 9th inning, and the D'Backs win, 3-2. It was only the second loss all year by Philly while taking the lead into the 9th. (And the key play of the game? Pinch-running for catcher Miguel Montero with Collin Cowgill on 1st base immediately prior to Overbay's triple. Gibby doesn't make that change, the game is only a tie.)

Fuck me sideways, this team. If THIS doesn't get them some goddamn national respect, I don't know what will.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

I remember when Lyle Overbay was on the Brewers. Doubles machine, that guy. I mean, he's no Prince Fielder, but he was great for the team when he was on it, back in 2005 I want to say. Classy guy, I'm glad he found a place to stick after Pittsburgh let him go. Funny thing is, the guy who replaced him with the Pirates is now on the DL... bet they wish they had Overbay back now.

PS, how do you enjoy listening to Daron Sutton? Endearing, or annoying?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

C'mon! We need some Braves losses!
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

You got a big boost from Omar Infante the other day, at least.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

STL gains another game on both Atlanta and Milwaukee. We need a giant collapse from Milwaukee in the next week, but the Braves are only 1.5 games up in the Wildcard.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

You don't NEED a giant Brewers collapse, it'd be nice for higher seeding, but all you really NEED is to overtake the Braves. You proved just a little while ago that you can beat Philly...