The MLB Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: The MLB Thread

Post by Geezer »

Maybe Cliff Lee and Josh Hamilton aren't too shabby either ;)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay... One of them is going to have a World Series that'll make them shoo in for the Hall.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

An off-season prediction:

the Reds trade Aaron Harang...for almost nothing at all. The team spent the last few years trying to see if he could follow up his fluke season with no success at all. Now that the team has gotten better without his help, expect the Reds to cut ties with him.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

W wrote:Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum, Roy Halladay... One of them is going to have a World Series that'll make them shoo in for the Hall.
ehh, W, I'm not so sure. Roy already had his ticket punched, and Lincecum is still too young to determine. He could blow his arm out and never pitch again. The Baseball Hall of Fame is way more about the numbers than the rings. Cliff Lee only has 102 wins and a career ERA of 3.85. Those aren't HoF numbers by ANY stretch. While a WS ring would help, he just hasn't been good enough for long enough to make the Hall based on what he has done so far. His post season numbers are bordering on historic though, so if he manages to get back to the post season next year and does it all over again (with either Texas of New York) then you might be talking about a serious candidate.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Wow, the World Series is going to be boring this year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It is? Funny because I haven't been this excited for any non-Red Sox World Series since, well I guess since 2003 with the Diamondbacks. It is AWESOME when small market teams make it. Proves that the system works. You'd have rather seen another matchup between the same teams that are there every year? How exciting, the Phillies and Rays/Yankees again. THAT would be boring. These teams are fresh and exciting! Go Rangers!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Well, it's a team that's never won anything against a team that always seems to blow it every time they are there. Not to mention that just a few years earlier, the Rangers and the Giants were two of the most poorly run teams in the league. I'm pretty sure most people wanted to see the Phillies avenge their loss against the Yankees last year.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:Wow, the World Series is going to be boring this year.
In the year of the pitcher it is fitting that the best postseason pitcher out there right now, statistically the best postseason pitcher of all time considering no one else is 7-0, and the best pitcher IMO over the last three years are probably going to match up twice in this series. If you like bats, then this series will be boring, but if you're content watching pitchers with great stuff you should probably tune in.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't think it will be boring for bats, the Rangers have the most dominant top to bottom line up in the major leagues. Boush, your reasoning for why it will be boring is precisely why I think it will be great. Why do people want to see the same thing every year? Maybe the casual bandwagon fans that just jump on winners. But the true baseball fan WANTS to see historically bad teams rise up and finally get competitive. When the Rangers stole Cliff Lee from right out of the Yankees hands, I was SO excited because I said to myself "they just made the move that finally made them World Series contenders." And that made me happy. Because I'm a baseball fan, and know what its like to follow a perpetually losing team, and its good for the fans of both these franchises that they got there. I will be pulling for the Rangers, but either way, its a fantastic series and story. Infinitely better than another Philies/Yankees series.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Well, the Giants didn't blow it this year. I guess it proves that baseball fans in the Bay Area aren't the stupidest after all (constantly supporting an underachieving Giants team while ignoring an often more-successful Oakland Athletics team simply because they didn't like the owner from thirty years ago).

Now that the tables have turned (the Giants actually doing well and the Athletics losing their already limited support daily in the Bay Area), expect the Athletics to explore a new city. I'm guessing either Portland or Las Vegas.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Joey Votto won National League MVP. However, I see him as a one-year wonder (just like with the rest of the Cincinnati Reds).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Joey Votto is no one year wonder. Trust me, he is one of the few, true power bat, middle of the order guys in the order. He is no Jose Bautista. The guy has gotten better every year in the big league's and will only continue to improve as he hits his prime (he's only 27). I see him as a guy that can hit 40 home runs for the next 5 years. I don't know how well the Reds will do, a lot of that will depend on how their young pitchers hold up and pan out, but Votto is the real deal.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Major League Baseball is considering realignment to an even 15 teams in each league as part of the expansion to 10 playoff teams. Though this would mean interleague all year, it makes more sense than having a six-team division and a four-team division.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Roger Clemens' trial has been ruled a mistrial because prosecutors used information they were told was inadmissible before the trial. They said they couldn't use testimony from Andy Pettite's wife because she heard it from her husband, not Clemens himself. Then they played a video that talked about her statement.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I am so freakin' proud of my Diamondbacks right now. This team, which wasn't even supposed to be .500 this year, has been on a TEAR in the last two weeks.

On the most important road trip of the season, they took two of three in San Diego, two of three in Los Angeles, and have just taken the first two games in crucial series against division leader/World Series champs San Francisco. As soon as tonight's game goes final, they will have tied them for the division lead.

Mark my words, and remember the name Paul Goldschmidt, who was brought up from the minors this week. He got his first major league hit in his first AB against Matt Cain, and earlier tonight, hit a towering two-run shot off of Tim Lincecum. (Justin Upton later added a two-run shot of his own, his 22nd, off of a bullpen that had only allowed one HIT since the All-Star break.)

Trust me, folks, and be warned, National League: Kirk Gibson's D'Backs are NOT going away.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)