The MLB Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The MLB Thread

Post by W »

Statement released by the MLB after Braun got off: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/140220493.html
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Braun is suspended 65 games, the rest of the year.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm sure Boosh thinks that the suspension is far too light because the MLB just looooves Ryan Braun.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My brother and I are wondering why it's over 50 games considering its equivelant to a first positive test. And it's a plea deal, so the MLB was going to go for even more (100?). Also, can they suspend A-Rod if there's nothing past the date he last got caught for?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The suspensions are not for a positive test, so they don't have to follow the rules of a first offense 50 game suspension. They aren't bound to follow these protocols because they didn't fail a test, and are being suspended for "non-analytic" reasons. They could ban them for life if they really wanted to. A-Rod seems to be the big fish in this so expect him to get the biggest suspension, possibly 150 games.

Braun bought his way down to 65 because they needed one person to give Tony Bosch some credibility. The ball should really get rolling from here.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I've been looking at the standings lately and I have noticed the importance of how one player can bring an entire ship down.

In this case, I'm looking at Jeff Francoeur.

July 5th: the Royals (40-42 at this point) release Francoeur.
July 9th: the Giants (40-49 at this point) sign Francoeur.

As of August 13th, the Royals are now 62-54 and in the Wild Card race (currently the fourth best in the race, two behind third place Baltimore) while the Giants have fallen to 52-65. Though some may say that Francoeur is basically a utility player at this point, his WAR has been in the negative range all season (with the Royals, it was -0.9) and his everyday appearances in the Royals lineup were really hurting the team. It also makes you wonder why the Royals didn't pull the trigger sooner (seeing how this season is a make-or-break case for both the manager and the GM).

On the other hand, I'm surprised that Dan Uggla's uselessness hasn't hurt the Braves.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys, I'm not a religious man, but I'm thinking about starting my own religion, where we worship the might and power of Paul Goldschmidt.

Okay, that's too much, but damn, what a case for MVP he made tonight. A game-tying, ninth-inning homer following by a game-winning, eleventh-inning homer against Baltimore. Wow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Predicting the playoffs:

One-game tiebreaker tonight:
Rays 5, Rangers 3 (both teams are probably even strength but I feel the Rays are better in these kinds of games)

Wild Card rounds:
NL: Reds 8, Pirates 5 (the Reds have had playoff action before, the Pirates haven't)
AL: Rays 11, Indians 2 (the Indians do not feel like a playoff team to me but one that simply got lucky while the Rays are battle-tested)

Division Series:
NL:
Dodgers beat Braves, 3-2 (the Braves choke in big-game situations while the Dodgers feel like they are playing for something)
Cardinals beat Reds, 3-2 (it will be a strong series but I think the Cardinals have an upper hand)

AL:
Athletics beat Tigers, 3-1 (the Tigers choke in big-game situations while the A's can surprise you when you least expect it)
Rays beat Red Sox, 3-2 (the Red Sox, though battle-tested in past seasons, are a horse of a different color this year)

Championship Series:
Cardinals beat Dodgers, 4-2 (the Cardinals' homegrown talent and blue-collar atmosphere will play harder than the Dodgers' "money, money, money" mantra)
Athletics beat Rays, 4-1 (probably even strength due to the small-market status but I will take the A's)

World Series:
Cardinals beat Athletics, 4-2
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'd have very much rather played the Reds than the Pirates. The Bucs have the best short relievers in the league. We're going to have to get some runs early if we want to win the series. Being in Busch for three games is good, though.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Geezer wrote:LET'S GO RED SOX!!!
Exactly one of us will be happy in a couple weeks.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Those Cards looked pretty damn pathetic tonight, I must say. 3 to go.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

When it comes down to a pitching duel, the Cards normally have it...

Stole home field advantage (We play in the league where everyone has to play both sides... The way it should be.). 3 to go.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yes, because watching pitchers hit is so much more entertaining than watching David Ortiz and Mike Napoli blast home runs. Wacha was phenomenal last night though. Kid is a star. Lackey was great too but one bad inning and some seriously sloppy play is all it takes to knot up a series. Still feeling supremely confident.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Dependence on power hitting is never a sound strategy (look at the White Sox this year). It may excite the crowd but it rarely gives you the championship (since 2000, only one team, the 2008 Phillies, has had the league leader in home runs and went on to win the World Series). It's always pitching, defense and a good rally that gets you to the top.