The NFL Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by W »

I look a lot different now. I had four trades and a couple drop/adds. .5 PPR still.

QB-Russell Wilson
RB1-Matt Forte
RB2-Trent Richardson
WR1-AJ Green
WR2-Cecil Shorts
TE-Gronkowski
FLEX-Sproles
K-Gostkowski
DEF-Baltimore
Bench-Daryl Richardson, Sidney Rice, Jacquizz Rodgers, Heath Miller
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

So, no Wallace (like it) and no Charles (wow), but I really like the additions of Forte and Green. Very solid. I just hope Russell Wilson plays up to his potential. He's my starter as well and I don't have him backed up. Being a huge Seattle fan (living in Iowa), I usually don't pick homers unless they are really solid, so I hope he kicks butt!

Good luck going ahead.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

A hilarious series on Madden 25.

http://www.sbnation.com/breaking-madden
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Meant to mention that I won my fantasy football league this year for the third time. How'd you do, W?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

1, 2, 3 in standard Yahoo public.

3 and 4 in the ones that mattered.

I'm kind of mad I'm on a family vacation in Florida because if not I could be at the Chiefs game since they play in Indy. Oh well, a decent weather 10 day break while it's near zero (at home) is nothing to sneeze at.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I watched the Richard Sherman video just now and I do not get why this is such a big deal. He was simply very excited by helping win the NFC Championship and going to the Super Bowl. If you think he is worse than Richie Incognito, Dez Bryant, the guy on the Eagles who said all that racist stuff and the homophobic Vikings coach that Chris Kluwe recently outed on Deadspin, you simply have skewed moral standards.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I know it's early, but I don't believe in procrastination, well not when it comes to fantasy football. I was hoping some of you would be interested in joining a fantasy league I'll be running this upcoming season. I plan on having it be an ongoing league with teams returning each season (because it's a blast). It's a 12 team redraft PPR league on Yahoo with 9 starters (QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF/SP, FLEX, FLEX), a bench of 6 players and an IR spot. There has been talk about allowing 1 keeper, but I was hoping to make it a true redraft. We'll see.

I know W plays. Come on, man, you know you want to. I have 6 people on board tentatively, so we need 6 more. Anyone that might be interested please reply. We have time. Thanks!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'm not a fan of the two flex positions and I don't think I've ever seen a league with one RB slot (which makes them a lot less valuable if only 12 HAVE TO play each week). It may actually make the QBs more valuable because if you already have a RB, you don't need to have a late second-early third McFadden type (DeMarco Murray maybe this year) just because you have to fill the position and you're afraid of being left with whoever Arizona is trotting out there this year. Same for first four round receivers, especially with PPR. Some could move up two or three rounds (Luck, Cam, and RGIII are 57-59 Matt Berry rankings and I could see them going 28-30, maybe higher, in this format). I still think the top few RBs will/should go off the board first, but in a slightly different order with Charles #1, Forte, McCoy, then AP because of the PPR. After that, Brees, Rogers, Peyton, Megatron, and Graham in some order.

FYI, I'd play.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Great. You had me going there for a second. Your observations are very astute. That is indeed what happened when we dropped the mandatory 2nd RB in my other league. What we found was that it opened the draft up and allowed room for some creativity. There wasn't a glut of RB's in the first two rounds with the last couple of guys begging for scraps. And, since the NFL has been doing a great job devaluing the RB lately, it seems well timed from a fantasy perspective. And, I still won our league last year by drafting my QB in the 7th round, so...

We run only 1 flex player in my other league. I thought 2 might add some fun. I am "flex"ible though, if that second player is a deal breaker we can just run 8 starters and 6 bench. I'm fine with that. Some of the others aren't sure about it either.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

2 flex is fine. I'd rather that than one less spot.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm a huge fantasy guy myself, but I'm not a fan of PPR or redraft leagues, so I'll have to pass.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

So, Tony Dungy is in trouble for saying he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam "Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It’s not going to be totally smooth... things will happen." He clarified later, "I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization. I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction. I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field."

What's wrong with this? If Dungy came out and he didn't believe in gay equality and whatnot (considering he's "pro-family" that's probable), that's one thing, but this is the same reasoning given for why Tebow had such limited opportunities, basically distraction level exceeds talent level. People have used him mentoring Michael Vick after the dogfighting incident, but taking all morality out of the equation (at the time I didn't want him back in the league) Vick was ultimately worth the distraction (just as Sam is worth the distraction to the Rams at this point).

What really irks me is how people are comparing this to Jackie Robinson. Besides both being necessary equal rights movements they're incomparable in this sense. Unless you have the equivalent of Negro Leagues with uber-talented gay athletes that can't get into sports because of their sexual orientation, there's no comparison. No one is keeping gay athletes out of the NBA, NFL, or MLB and there isn't a gay transcendent player in any of the leagues known like Jackie, Sachel Paige, and Josh Gibson. In this case you have one gay player that was drafted. Can anyone think of a player that wasn't allowed to play in any professional league because they were gay and not because of how good they are?

It's more likely that gay people are hiding their real selves from teammates, which is the real problem. I hope Sam's story helps these people to fully embrace their identity and I think over time it's not going to be a distraction anymore.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

That whole story made me lose all respect for Dungy. It gives me the idea that he's more interested in the money he gets as a motivational speaker than the greater good of people.

I'm quite sure that the Bible taught people to love everyone, no matter their sexual orientation, not a few people that meet an extremist viewpoint.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

But it had nothing to do with that. If you didn't know he was a Christian with those viewpoints before you weren't paying attention. His point here was that he didn't evaluate Sam's talent highly enough to have a billion reporters at every mini camp they had. People say that's against gay people and you shouldn't have things like that rule your judgement, but I think why try to manage a situation you don't have to manage unless there's a big enough payoff? Sam will probably be a special teams player/third string and is it worth disturbing practices for a special teams player?

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

So thanks for the invite. I do one keeper league, and I'm terrible at it, so don't know if I would be able to add one to my slate and do it any justice. But if you're super short for players I could give it a go.