The NFL Thread

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by W »

Next year they have Cassel, who's hopefully a year wiser/better, Charles who (though its to early to speculate) could become a top tier back, Bowe, and a few promising defensive players. They need a line.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Charles is going to be a tud. If they had been starting him instead of washed up LJ all season, they probably would have found more success.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Another thing that I've been saying: Todd Haley is an idiot coach. He's beginning to remind me of Rich Kotite in terms of clueless coaches.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

That's kind of like calling Mangini an idiot coach because he's not doing anything in Cleveland. These guys are extremely talented football coaches, and that may only turn out to be true for assistant coaching, but even The Big Tuna and Bill Belicek can't turn crap into gold. Give Haley, Cassel, Dorsey, Charles, Bowe, Jackson, Pioli, et al two more years before you make that judgement.

Even when the Chiefs were at their best this decade what happened? They collapsed. They were over .500 three times in the past 10 years. Now they're rebuilding and for better or worse, they have an established GM, a great coordinator trying his first head coaching gig, a possible #1 or good #2 reciever, some decent/good young defensive players, a QB that led a team to an 11 win season, and a guy that looks to be a stud halfback. They've got some good pieces and if in the next couple years they can get a couple OL to go with Waters and Albert along with a couple other pieces, they'll be good to go.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Chiefs are pretty poised to make a turnaround. I actually think Cassell can be good, Charles is a stud RB and he is proving it, Bowe is good when he's not suspended for drinking Slim-Fast, they have a lot of pieces in place. It may take a couple of years, but they are on the right path. Just need to work on the Defense in the draft, and if they somehow ended up getting Ndomakong Suh, that would be a big first step.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Here we go, playoff preview up now at http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4809533

Pretty hard choices for the NFL Hall of Fame this year. Only five of the Common Era players can be named and they must have 80% of the vote. They are:

WR Jerry Rice
RB Emmitt Smith
WR Tim Brown
WR Cris Carter
WR Andre Reed
TE Shannon Sharpe
RB Roger Craig
C Dermontti Dawson
G Russ Grimm
DT John Randle
DT Cortez Kennedy
DE Richard Dent
DE/LB Charles Haley
LB Rickey Jackson
Coach Don Coryell

At the very least 3 will make it and a max of 5. For my money, it's Rice, Smith, Carter, Brown, and Sharpe... Who should get in?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'll say the same number. Sharpe will barely reach 80% though.

And I agree with Geezer on the playoffs. Neither the Colts or Saints will make it.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I really don't know what's going to happen in the playoffs. If the Colts play the Ravens, I think they lose (though the Colts beat them earlier in the year). If they play the Jets or Bengals, they should beat either team easily and the next week they'd be in sync for the Chargers or Pats. For some reason in the playoffs, the Chargers always play a bad game. If they are really turned around this year, they could be a monster. Also, the Patriots are wizards at just throwing a guy in there and getting results, so who knows?

The Saints are just playing horrible ball... No question about it. The Eagles have been beaten by the Cowboys twice, but the Cowboys are notorious for screwing up the playoffs. The Cardinals are a good team. Their defense has improved this year and they've found some kind of running game, which is better than last year, so I don't think the Packers are going to have a walk in the park there. I actually like the Vikings to take the NFC because they can do everything well and I really think at the top of their game, they're the best in the league... The problem is, they don't always play their best.

If I had to pick two teams, it'd be the Vikings vs. the Chargers/Colts (depending on if the Ravens win or not).

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Geezer wrote:The Chiefs are pretty poised to make a turnaround. I actually think Cassell can be good, Charles is a stud RB and he is proving it, Bowe is good when he's not suspended for drinking Slim-Fast, they have a lot of pieces in place. It may take a couple of years, but they are on the right path. Just need to work on the Defense in the draft, and if they somehow ended up getting Ndomakong Suh, that would be a big first step.
Unless the Rams mess up horribly and take Sam Bradford as their QB of the future, you can forget about Suh going to KC. Pretty sure he'll be wearing Navy and Old Gold next year.

Kind of weird not having my Steelers in the playoffs, but I guess it gets kind of boring for the rest of the league if they're in it every year. :lol:

Look for the AFC title game to be the Chargers/Colts as really none of the other four teams are good enough to beat either of them.

In the NFC, I'm thinking the Vikes as NO is on a 3 game losing streak, we all know how well the Cowboys do in the playoffs (Most of you were probably still in grade school the last time they won a playoff game), and the Cardinals will be hurting without Boldin and Rogers-Cromaratie. How great would it be for the league to have a Pack/Vikes NFC title game?

Look for Charles Haley to be the 5th guy inducted into the Hall as the writers finally acknowledge his 5 Super Bowl rings. Dick LeBeau will get in from the veterans committee
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The Rams will screw up in the draft. These are the same geniuses who thought Eric Crouch would do well in the NFL.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In other news, the Chiefs have hired Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator. Apparently they ignored those years when he coached underachieving Notre Dame teams.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Hence the words OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. He was a fabulous O-Coordinator in New England. He ran one of the best offenses in college football at Notre Dame. He just didn't have any skills whatsoever or pay any attention to the defense. When all he has to do is coach the offensive side of the ball, he is brilliant. Its a great hire.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:The Rams will screw up in the draft. These are the same geniuses who thought Eric Crouch would do well in the NFL.
That is very possible. They may pass over Suh for a QB. The team does have a serious NEED for a quarterback. The Bulger/Boller/Keith freaking Null combo is not going to lead them anywhere, and quarterbacks win games in the NFL. So with a chance to get any QB they want in the draft, they may have to do it.

However, the Chiefs won't get him either, they won too many games. If the Rams do take a QB number one, the Lions HAVE to take him. And if they did, I'd actually be a little scared of that Lions team next year. They are putting together a lot of quality young players, and Suh is a can't miss.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Go Cardinals!

Boldin and Rodgers-Cromartie will be game-time decisions, though Anquan is less likely to play than Dominique.

Everyone is convinced that last week's blowout represents the true picture of how much better than Arizona Green Bay is. Well, we'll see.

One thing's for sure: this season will be seen as a failure unless the Cards win. A victory will mean success, regardless of how much further Arizona advances in the playoffs.

I'll be watching with bells on.

Go Cardinals!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)