I am going to fix College football

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

I am going to fix College football

Post by Geezer »

We all know college football is an extremely flawed sport, run by corrupt, greedy old men who have no concept of what their fans want or how to run an organization in the modern age. SO, I am going to fix their mistakes, and I'm test driving it on you, members of the fantaverse! Here is my plan:

4 conferences, 64 teams, as has been talked about on numerous publications all year. Only the 64 most relevant teams are included. Sorry Eastern Michigan, no one cares about you. All other teams can be relegated to Division 1-AA, because they wouldn't have a chance in this system anyway.

4 divisions for each of the 4 conferences, with the winner of each division earning a <gasp!> Playoff spot.

Which makes for a 16 team, entertaining as hell, December Madness tournament.

I've been working on my 4 conferences and their divisions all night and I have settled on this for a lineup. I tried to take into account proximity and rivalries as best I could, and obviously some great new ones would start up!

Big East

Division A
1)Louisville
2)Virginia
3)Virginia Tech
4)West Virginia
Division B
5)Boston College
6)Connecticut
7)Rutgers
8)Syracuse
Division C
9)Cincinnati
10)Maryland
11)Penn State
12)Pittsburgh
Division D
13)Georgia Tech
14)North Carolina
15)North Carolina State
16)Wake Forest

Big North

Division A
1)Michigan
2)Michigan State
3)Notre Dame
4)Ohio State
Division B
5)Iowa
6)Iowa State
7)Minnesota
8)Nebraska
Division C
9)Boise State
10)BYU
11)Colorado
12)Utah
Division D
13)Illinois
14)Missouri
15)Purdue
16)Wisconsin

Big South

Division A
1)Alabama
2)Auburn
3)Mississippi State
4)Ole Miss
Division B
5)Florida
6)Florida State
7)Georgia
8)Miami
Division C
9)Clemson
10)South Carolina
11)Tennessee
12)Vanderbilt
Division D
13)Arkansas
14)Baylor
15)Kansas State
16)LSU

Big West

Division A
1)Oklahoma
2)Oklahoma State
3)Texas
4)Texas A&M
Division B
5)California
6)Stanford
7)USC
8)UCLA
Division C
9)Oregon
10)Oregon State
11)Washington
12)Washington State
Division D
13)Arizona
14)Arizona State
15)TCU
16)Texas Tech

Teams would play each team in their own division as the final 3 games of their schedule. Each team would play one Division 1-AA school in week 1 of each season. Each team would play 2 non-conference, Division 1A teams and 6 inner-conference, non division teams (half the conference, so you could have these games alternate every other year).

If there were to be a tie at the top of a division, tiebreak would be head to head record. If there were a 3-way tie, division record, followed by conference record would act as tiebreakers. Only one team per conference would make the playoffs.

Once we had our 16 division winners, a seeding committee would seed each team, regardless of conference, in the 16 team bracket, with the number one overall seed playing the number 16 and so on. If the 4 best teams are all from the same conference, they wouldn't have to play each other in the first two rounds, they would get to beat up on the worst teams to make the tournament.

Who WOULDN'T be glued to their TV every December and January for that!

And the non-division winners could play in bowl games, so we can still have the bowls, with the some of the best teams that couldn't quite make it! Best of both worlds! What do you all think???
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Re: I am going to fix College football

Post by W »

It'd work a whole lot better (in my opinion) if you could have four major conferences, and it doesn't matter how big they are, somehow determine the best in each, and then have a four team playoff.

This deal with Alabama being the national champ because they beat a team that already beat them is ridiculous.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I don't think its ridiculous, if the system is set up for a playoff. With the current system, yes, I agree with you. But it happens all the time in sports that one team beats another in the regular season, then loses to them in the playoffs. Just seems more ridiculous because their system only lets two teams compete for the title, and one already beat the other.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Also, something REALLY fun that I would throw in, if a 1-AA team wins its game against 1-A schools for 3 straight seasons, the next year, they get to play for a spot in 1-A against the team with the worst overall record the following season (a win against a 1-A school would guarantee the school a game the following season, as a measure to prevent schools from blocking them by not scheduling them for a year). How awesome of a week one matchup would that be! Lose and you get relegated the next year? You are telling me you wouldn't watch that?!?!? It would draw a bigger rating than last night's BCS championship!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

That's what I meant. If it's set up for a playoff, then fine, but if it's one game that's fairly arbitrary most of the time why one team is picked over another to compete in it, then that is ridiculous.

And I'd love a US league where there was relegation. I don't care if it's Major League Curling, I'd watch it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Geezer wrote:Also, something REALLY fun that I would throw in, if a 1-AA team wins its game against 1-A schools for 3 straight seasons, the next year, they get to play for a spot in 1-A against the team with the worst overall record for the previous three seasons, the following season (a win against a 1-A school would guarantee the school a game the following season, as a measure to prevent schools from blocking them by not scheduling them for a year). How awesome of a week one matchup would that be! Lose and you get relegated the next year? You are telling me you wouldn't watch that?!?!? It would draw a bigger rating than last night's BCS championship!
I wrote that a little wrong, fixed now