The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Post by Buscemi »

This will be a thread devoted to all sports talk that either isn't related to the NFL, NBA and MLB threads or has elements of all of the above but does not fit into one thread.

The first post on this thread features something that has always interested me: sports curses. I found this ESPN Page 2 article from 2004 that seemed interesting to me and I feel is still relevant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... sed/041029

Out of the 55 listed curses, 48 are still ongoing. And I do like some of the names that these curses have (however, I would call The Curse of No Name the Curse of Bobby Orr since before that goal the Blues showed in three straight Stanley Cups but haven't appeared since).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Re: The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Post by Buscemi »

The Atlanta Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg and will start play there in time for pre-season in September. For some reason (possibly due to the schedule already being finished), they will stay in the Southeast Division for the moment. I imagine they will move to the Northwest Division in 2012 with Minnesota going to the Central Division and Columbus going to the Eastern Conference (some are saying Nashville but Columbus is farther east).

Who wants to bet that the Florida Panthers are next to move (since Nashville and Phoenix are safe for the moment)?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Bruins are 2 games away from their first Stanley Cup in 39 years. They have thoroughly dominated Vancouver ever since Nathan Horton was brutally blind-sided and taken out for the playoffs. This team is playing the best hockey I've seen all year from any team. Tim Thomas is at the top of his game, allowing one goal in the past two games combined. Roberto Luongo on the other hand, was pulled and looks completely lost out there. If they continue playing even close to this level, there is no doubt that the Cup will be coming home to Boston. I haven't been this excited about anything in sports since the Red Sox series run in 2004. This is awesome.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

One of the very few things I know about hockey from playing NHL with my brothers is that Luongo is a bad ass goalie. And the whole Tim Thomas thing reminds me of the Ducks goalie with a French name a few years ago that just had a monster God-like bad ass streak in the playoffs.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The difference, W, is that J.S. Giguerre was playing well above his talent level for the Ducks (was awesome to watch though) and Tim Thomas actually is the best goaltender in the world. He had the best save% in the history of the stat this season, he's just continued his great play. He's going to win his second Vezina Trophy (awarded to the best goalie in the league) and hopefully, his first Stanley Cup, and Finals MVP.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I was under the impression that he was the backup goalie that was subbed in because the starter was playing awful. I thought that's what Melrose said. But I catch most hockey stuff while waiting for other sports on ESPN, so I really don't pay that much attention to it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well, you're not technically wrong. Tukka Rask was the starter last year, but that's because Thomas was hurt and recovering from hip surgery. Two years ago, Thomas was the starter and won the Vezina. He was never fully healthy at all last season, and only got his job back after playing outstanding (BECAUSE he was finally healthy) at the beginning of this season. He only spent about 3 games as the "backup" this season, then it was his job. They actually came close to trading him in the offseason, because Tukka is pretty damn good himself. Its obviously a good thing they didn't ;)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

A representative at AEG (who is involved with stadium planning for a possible team) was in talks with five NFL teams to consider a deal to move a team to Los Angeles (the teams were the Vikings, the Raiders, the Chargers, the Rams and the Jaguars). The Vikings claimed that they are in the works with a new stadium while the Rams and Jaguars did not return calls (which means they are staying for now).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I saw this on ESPN. It said that the Vikings were in talks with the city (no way they're leaving that fan base anyways) and the Rams and Chargers both have leases that they can't break for a while, so they're staying put as well. So that leaves the Jags and Raiders, so who cares, right?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Good point. And on the Rams: Kroenke bought the team with the intention that they would stay (since he's from Columbia, which isn't very far). With a potential team on the rise, moving with the team would make him Public Enemy #1 in St. Louis.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Okay Geezer, you win. Now don't act like your fellow Boston sports fans and be obnoxious over your win and act like its worth something five years from now. You can have your day of trash talking tomorrow but after that, it's back to business.

Same goes for you, Tranny.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

THE STANLEY CUP HAS FINALLY COME BACK TO BOSTON!!!!!!!!! Shut up, Boosh. This team DESERVES THIS. So much HEART, GRIT, WILL AND DETERMINATION. Not nearly the most skilled team, easily the team that wanted it most. WHAT A SERIES, WHAT A PLAYOFFS, WHAT A TEAM!!!!!!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Tsonga defeated Federer in the Quarter Finals of Wimbledon in 5 sets, after having lost the first two. Amazing game for Tsonga, a true exploit !!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I watched the first three sets before I had to go to work. Can't believe Jo-Willy came back! Cool though, I like the guy, he's fun to watch.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yes he is. He spoiled the all-Top 4-seed semifinals.

Meanwhile, on the women's side, it's wide open. The top three seeds are gone, and of the four remaining players, only one (Sharapova) has even BEEN to a Grand Slam Final. I like her, but I love rooting for the underdogs in tennis. I'd love to see a Lisicki/Kvitova final, although it'd be cool if Azarenka got there too. She's due.

It's interesting that the #1 woman in the world, Caroline Wozniacki, has NEVER BEEN to a Grand Slam final. Wonder if any #1 has ever achieved that before.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)