The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Post by Chienfantome »

Well after the flamboyant games against Honduras and Switzerland, France backed down against Ecuador. A bit of a boring game, ending 0-0. The big turnover with several key titular players on the bench didn't help, but they'll be fresh for next game.
We still finish 1st of the group and will face Nigeria next.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Big day today for my household. Portugal needs to score 5 goals against Ghana (and USA lose), or Germany needs to beat the USA by 5 goals (and Portugal win). The odds of either happening would make a betting man a millionaire.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I hadn't realized it was that complicated now for Portugal to qualify. It's incredible how many "big" European nations of football are elminated or on the verge of being so.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I think it really has brought to light just how much benefit the South American/ Central Americans teams gained from the WC being in Brazil. Either because they are more prepared for the climate or because it felt almost like a home game for each nation from the region, or perhaps there's just more will to succeed, the teams certainly seem to benefit. To see the likes of Italy, England, Portugal and Spain eliminated while 8 of the Americas progress, it really has been a remarkable World Cup, as well as a thoroughly entertaining one.

The Suarez incident has created a black cloud over the last couple of days, but at least he's on his way home now and hopefully his team will follow him soon. Just think his ban wasn't long enough, really hoped FIFA would have had more balls and made it the full 2 years, only way the idiot will ever learn.

Now, for the sake of my sweep stake, I am the biggest non-Argentinian Argentina fan in the world! Come on Messi!!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, USA moves on, with a 1-1-1 record. Any chance they can beat Belgium?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

On paper, I'd probably say no. But combining Belgium's rather underwhelming start and USA's pace on the break and determination (as well as some damn fine performances against very good teams thus far), I'd not bet against it happening. Delighted to see teams with such enthusiasm as USA, Costa Rica, Chile and Mexico progressing.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Before the WorldCup I would have said there's no way USA could beat Belgium, but like Surfer said, USA have been pretty solid, and Belgium a bit underwhelming.
But now it's all back to scratch, so anything can happen, although anything happened already.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I think of the teams remaining, Belgium is one of the ones who I think the US actually has a shot against.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

They sure could have had to face a harder challenge. But if Belgium finally starts the engine, USA will be no match.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Belgium have a young team, which means they have speed, which was the USA's main strength. It'll be closer, but the Belgians have more skill on the ball.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Time for Americans to come up with some derogatory terms for Belgians. Here are some ideas:

I personally love "Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards!"

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I always think of Dr. Evil when I think of Belgium.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Was it just the luck of the draw that in the top bracket, there just happened to be FOUR South American teams, or was it planned that way? (I know nothing of soccer, FYI.)

Anyway, Brazil needs to pray to that gigantic statue in Rio that they are moving on, winning in penalty kicks over Chile. They will face a very game and very hungry Colombia team, in the Top 8 for the first time ever, who just won a resounding 2-0 victory over Uruguay.

Chien, that France-Nigeria matchup is VERY intriguing. Love to get your take on it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

CHile should have won over Brasil. Maybe I say this because Chile has been overwhelming in the tournament, but I still think it deserved better than to go out that way, against an overall disappointing Brazilian team since the beginning of the tournament.
A Chile / Columbia quarter finals would have been a great game.
Concerning the all South American games, it was just luck. The teams were placed in their respective brackets by drawing lots. Now on the other hand it was no luck that put all those South American teams out of their respective groups, it was just talent.

I'm really curious to watch the France / Nigeria game. Unfortunately I haven't seen a single match of Nigeria during the World Cup up until now, so I don't really know what to expect from them. BUt I've read they've been solid, and they won the African Cup last year, so they are a team to watch out for sure.
France have been disappointing against Ecuador, probably because they were so good against Switzerland that we expected them to put 4 or 5 more goals the following game.
But the team was almost already qualified, so Deschamps (wisely ?) chose to put some key players to rest so they reload batteries for the rest of the tournament. Valbuena and Cabaye's absence were notable. Deschamps will most likely reconduct the same players that defeated the Swiss. And if they can play at the same level they played against Switzerland, they'll be hard to beat, for any team. But was the strong game against Switzerland an oddity, or will they be able to repeat the performance ? That, I'm curious to discover on monday.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

This Netherlands team keeps surprising. Down in the 88th minute, they manage to tie Mexico and win it in injury time. This is the latest that a team has scored their first goal in regulation and gone on to win the game without shootouts.

I will be surprised if they do not return to the final.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr