The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Football? Basketball? Baseball?... Dodgeball? All of that goes here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Sports Corner - Talking All Kinds Of Sports

Post by Chienfantome »

France is a finalist of the World Cup !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell yes !!!!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Croatia/France. What a bizarre turn out for the World Cup. Totally unpredictable this year. Wonder if VAR played a role in this.

Sorry, Chien, I was for France in an England/France final (only because an England win would rile up all those Brexit assholes), but I love a good David Vs Goliath story. A country of 4 million vs a country of 67 million (not to mention the ex colonies). Go Croatia!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wonder who got the job to be FIFA's Joe Torre? Because that must be an amazing job. Watch sports all day and get paid.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi2 wrote:Sorry, Chien, I was for France in an England/France final (only because an England win would rile up all those Brexit assholes), but I love a good David Vs Goliath story. A country of 4 million vs a country of 67 million (not to mention the ex colonies). Go Croatia!
No harm taken. If I wasn't French and watched this coming finale neutral, I would probably root for the smaller country myself.
But I'm French, so GO FRANCE !!! Our team wasn't much of a team 5 weeks ago, but game after game, an unexpected unity, harmony, and thirst for collective victory grew. it's become a real team with a fantastic keeper, a strong defence, a masterful midfield, and a sensation of a player forward.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

All the US guys, if sports betting gets legalized where you're at send me a message and I'll walk you through how to make the most of it. Don't get signed up without talking to me or at least doing research or you'll lose out on a lot. Also LMK if you're close to a border where it's legal too. I lost out on a ton of signup stuff I did wrong, but I'm still up about $25-30000 in the past six months. They're all trying to grab market share right now and it's pretty nuts what they're giving away, especially when they first open up.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It's sports betting illegal in the US?

Here in the UK there's a bookie on literally every street!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

It has been illegal for a long time (except Nevada and New Jersey which were grandfathered in) and the Supreme Court opened it up to the states 2-3 years ago. It's only in about 10-12 states right now. We have 8 books where I'm at and many are state specific meaning you can drive over the border and sign up for another account from the same company and get the sign up bonuses again. Right now there are 8 in my state and you can get a $2021 free bet, $1000 risk free (comes back as credit), $500 risk free (comes back as a free bet) + $1500 free bet, $250 credit 1x rollover, and there's two or three others that are skipping my mind right now.

Barstool opened up across the border and they gave out $1000 risk free (credit), $500 deposit bonus (credit), and various promotions that give back credit. There's two services I pay for that send out arbitrage alerts. Best I've gotten so far is they screwed up the odds on a basketball game from -700 (1.14) to +400 (5.00). I had $1000 and a $500 free bet they gave as a sign up bonus on it. I chickened out and hedged at the last moment for +$4500. It's crazy out there.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I know this is more for the football thread but Trevor Lawrence has yet to be drafted but is already one of the most overrated players in the NFL. The only reason why he's being called a once in a generation talent, a phrase that seems to get thrown around every year, is that mainstream media wants another white quarterback from a prestige program to be good while ignoring that era has passed. He might end up being good in Jacksonville but Blake Bortles was considered good for a few years and look where he is now.

Also, Mac Jones should have stayed for his senior year. He only has one year as a full-time starter under his belt and that lack of experience is going to hurt him in the NFL. I'm also not buying the rumor that the 49ers are going to draft him at #3. His draft stock might be rising but most of the boards that I've seen have him going mid first round or even later.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

While I don't entirely disagree that Lawrence is being overhyped, it's kind of nuts to state that the buzz around him is purely race-driven (particularly since there's an absurd level of buzz around Wilson, Lance, Fields and Jones as well). He's an absurdly productive 3-year starter with a rocket arm, solid mobility and prototypical size that happened to play for one of the best teams in college football. That's about as sure of a recipe for a #1 overall pick as you could possibly cook up.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Herbert, Burrow, and Daniel Jones were pretty good the last two years. Allen's becoming elite. The QB position is becoming pretty well balanced youth-wise with Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar leading the way right now. I don't really believe the media is hyping Lawrence because of his race. The dude is a just great college QB and it seems his skills will translate. The last #1 QBs that completely tanked are JaMarcus Russell and Jameis Winston (we'll see if the change of scenery keeps Goff off that list or not).

As for Mac Jones: If you're assured drafted in the first round I think you should go. What's the point in going back? The best that happens is you move up a few draft spots for a small percentage higher than you'd get before and lose a year of your few moneymaking years, which is a lot more valuable. The worst is you blow out your knee and never play professionally, losing a minimum $10-15 million.

Amateurism is a joke in the NCAA. You must play for free not even allowed to accept gifts or make money off your own likeness, or your other option is to sit there for three years (for football, basketball you can make $500,000 in the developmental league while losing a year of your career if you're a guy that should be making $4-10 million, which itself is suppressed by the draft salary slotting system). Meanwhile the coach has a contract that states he gets paid $10 million a year, gets a free multimillion dollar house, and if you do fire him early you owe him up to $50 million. The guy that teaches these "kids" to lift weights can make up to $1 million a year. A NCAA coach is the highest paid state employee in like 40-45 states. The others are ones with no large state schools.

And these kids are amateurs that don't even deserve a small stipend, get paid for promotions, or sell autographs/merchandise? You leave when you're assured you can cover your future IMO.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think that if Jones played his senior year, he could win the Heisman and possibly go #1 in the 2022 draft. Right now, he's costing himself money and experience by declaring early and not getting that extra seasoning. He's too green right now, I feel.

I don't like how amateurism is either but there is a reason why you need a few years in college football. You don't just throw a guy with not much experience out to the wolves.

And I agree Allen's good but I don't you think you can compare him to what I'm talking about with Lawrence as he went to Wyoming and not at a powerhouse like Burrow in your counterpoint was. Also, he was under the radar until recently (of which I believe was due to being in the same draft as bust Josh Rosen, leading to certain confusion between the two).

As for Goff, I think the Rams trading him proves that it's over for him though he'll stick around for a while either as a backup or as a tank commander. His case reminds me of Bortles' decline (funny that they were on the same team last year).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Anyone else playing Immaculate Grid?