Found Sounds

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Found Sounds

Post by numbersix »

Well, now that the Fantaverse/Reelsociety Top 100 Songs Project is now officially over (sniff...), let's keep the music going. This is the first of two topics I'm starting. This is dedicated to found sounds. And what I mean by this are acts who are either unknown or who were popular once but no longer. It doesn't matter what genre, it doesn't matter what era, but it's an opportunity for some of us to share bands that have been discovered through word of mouth, Facebook, or what not. Let's keep it to one song per person per day max, and let's see what we all find.

So to begin, this is Israeli Blues by The Index. They were a rock n roll act from Michigan in the mid 60's, but didn't make it. Their self titled record is considered extremely rare, with only about 1000 original copies pressed, but there is an anthology on CD lying around somewhere. It's surf rock meets psych but with an interesting delay between guitar and rhythm.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Found Sounds

Post by Shrykespeare »

Oh Goody!!

My chance to keep 80's and 90's alternative alive again! Thank you, Six!

My first band falls under the "shoegazing" umbrella. They only recorded two albums before creative differences with their record label and each other caused their breakup in 1994.

But the song has those jangly guitars that I love so much, the kind of music that I would watch 120 Minutes just to get a glimpse of.

Adorable, "Sunshine Smile"

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Kinda nice, Shryke. Reminds me of the Sundays and the more dreamy side of the Stone Roses

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Had a hell of a time finding a link for this one, a really enjoyable band though so hopefully this works:
Frank Jordan, "Looked Around" - http://betterpropaganda.com/player/play ... songId=119
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Pretty good song, becs. Reminds me of someone else, but I can't quite put my finger on who.

For today, here's a song by a group from Cincinnati that got some airplay on college radio stations in the early 90s. They had one great song, and I found them performing it on Conan O'Brien on YouTube. Enjoy.

(And before you ask, yes, I am going alphabetically by group. I'm anal that way.)

The Afghan Whigs, "Debonair"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I'm still catching up on a bunch of people's #1 picks--sorry I'm so behind. In the meantime, please enjoy THE NEXT BIG THING:

The Real Heroes

The Real Heroes are a local Austin band that have been teetering on the verge of stardom for waaaay too long now. The future of the band is sorta up-in-the-air, so I'm crossing my fingers that people finally catch on. They're easily one of my favorite bands, and they put on an absolutely amazing live performance. I've seen them over a dozen times and EVERY show is performed flawlessly and professionally. And, fortunately, their studio work captures that same magic.

The Real Heroes - "The French Song"

The Real Heroes - "Metal Only"

If you dig this, you can buy their second album (2005's Greetings from Russia) on Amazon. New copies sell for less than $5. Used copies are going for a cent--but I suggest buying it new to (somewhat more directly) support the cause.

PS. Six, sorry I posted two songs. I just wanted to show that their sound isn't a fluke--their music is consistently solid. In other words, they aren't a one-hit wonder. Thanks for starting this thread. It's a great way to tide us over until we do our "25 Favorite Albums" countdown.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Thoughts....

Shryke, that Afghan Whigs song was prety cool. Another ealry 90's alt act I've read about but never listened to. Why wasn't this and the Adorable song on your Top 100 instead of UB40? ;)

Becs, not bad. Sounded like a typically alt late 90's act, taking in Radiohead and the Pixies. But not bad at all.

NSpan, you are forgiven for posting 2 tracks. They didn't really grab me, sounding like a mix between Spoon, late 70's Rolling Stones, and the kind of band that spends their life supporting bigger and better bands in medium sized venues.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Hopefully I'm forgiven for posting two songs as well for today. This is just throwaway indie rock. Something fun I like listening to because it's catchy. First learned about these guys when I was searching for the opening theme to The Good Guys which I liked (It's the first one from the two below).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:Thoughts....

Shryke, that Afghan Whigs song was prety cool. Another ealry 90's alt act I've read about but never listened to. Why wasn't this and the Adorable song on your Top 100 instead of UB40? ;)
'Cause I love UB40, ya jerk. :lol:

Today I'll go a little bit less "alternative" and more progressive-Earth rock. A one-hit wonder from 1993, but I love the way it sounds.

Tasmin Archer, "Sleeping Satellite"

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

For today I'll offer you a song from one of my favorite (though not THE favorite) swedish bands.

- Donte

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Here;s another found sound. Hood emerged in the late 90's when a lot of bands were exploring the post rock sound that Slint and Slowdive were drafting. Hood hit the 00's by incorporating loops and samples to their particularly rural sound. They never really made it which was a shame, as their Outside Closer record was quite solid, despite the somewhat poor vocals.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke, that Sleeping Satellite song was actually very big here, reaching Number 1 here and in the UK. It's nice, but very much a product of its time.

Becs, that sounded like the Strokes doing Cash, but not nearly as good as that sounds. Not bad though. Are Kent your favourite Swedish group?

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Yep, I prefer my swedish groups actually singing in their native language!

For today I give you a german group
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Becs, I LOVED that song. Thanks for posting it!

Today's song was, literally, the very LAST song that I cut from my Top 105. Actually, it was going to be somewhere in the 90s, but we were about a week into our Top 100 when I realized that I had forgotten to put "Like a Stone" on my list. Which meant that one song had to go, and, ultimately, it was this one. So I guess this would have been my #106 if we had done that.

The beat is catchy, and the lyrics are awesome. "It's like a mystery that never ends.... I see you crying and I want to kill your friends." Brilliant.

Aztec Camera, "Oblivious"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

The Good Looks

Another local favorite. These guys are equal parts Stooges and the Who--but with a modern garage-rock aesthetic. Surf, Leest, Six--I especially encourage you guys to take particular note of this band. Shryke: if I can find a recording of their cover of "Take On Me"-I'll share it with ya. (They also do the best "Life During Wartime" I've ever heard).

The Good Looks - "Sounds Like 1969"

The Good Looks - "Dancity"

If you dig this, you can buy their debut album on CDbaby. It's a good cause, and these guys need some motivation to keep making great music!!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/goodlooks
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.