Found Sounds

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Found Sounds

Post by numbersix »

Becs: Didn't do much for me
Shryke: Another band loved by the critics. Is it a found sound? ;) Still, very nice jangly guitar pop.
NSpan: they really do sound like 1969. Not bad at all, but a little too derivative. Why listen to this when I can just play the Stooges or FunHouse?

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Good idea Six. Some good stuff so far. Haven't listened to everything yet but what I have I've liked. That slight delay in The Index song was intriguing, and I am surprised I haven't heard of Adorable before. That was the sort of music I was listening to back then. I'll probably listen to The Good Looks again a couple of times and see if I like it more each listen.

I won't be able to post every day but I'll put a song on occasionally, so starting with the most obscure I could find here is a band called Cinema Prague. Probably one of my favourite two local alternative Perth live bands from the early 90s. (the other one will be next if i can find a video)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

For today I'll give you my favorite local band, I've mentioned them before around here for sure, and have been in love with them since I heard one of their early albums The Broken Bride, which is a rock opera following a man's journey from the beginning to time to the apocalypse while trying to travel back in time to prevent his wife's death in a car accident. Had I thought I could have gotten away with posting the entire rock opera this would have been a top 10 for me, it absolutely never gets old, this is the "apocalypse" section, most people tend to like it the best, I think its impossible to narrow down one part of the thing as my favorite, but for brevity's sake this is all I'll post.

They also have a brand new album coming out (their 4th I think?) this month, which I fully believe will take them into mainstream fame. Unlike the Broken Bride album basically all of their other work is very light and comedic, so here is their first single from the new album, the official video is supposed to come out this week, but they are big on fan participation so this was made by them with suggestions from fans of what they would like to see whipped cream on...
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu - didn't care for it.

Becs - Not sure if I like this group, but I did like the second song better.

Well, if Aztec Camera was my #106 song of all time, the following just might be my #107.

I know most of you don't like reggae in general or UB40 in particular, so do yourselves and me a favor and just skip this one if you're not in the mood. But I just love this song. Catchy beat with sweet yet silly lyrics.

Pato Banton (feat. Ali and Robin Campbell of UB40), "Baby Come Back"

I just love the look on Ali's face when Pato starts singing, like "Where's that coming from"?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Shrykespeare wrote: Becs - Not sure if I like this group, but I did like the second song better.
Thats more their style.. Check out:

- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

http://aolradio.podcast.aol.com/aolmusi ... s_Mine.mp3

Free (and legal) download from the 2010 Toadies album Feeler
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's my blast from the past for today.

Many of you will know this band, who had a big hit in 1993 with "Feed the Tree". Their album "Star" did quite well with that song as well as "Slow Dog". They had one other album, "King", in 1995, and then they called it quits.

I've always loved Tanya Donelly's voice, not only with Belly but with The Throwing Muses and The Breeders (with Kim Deal, shout-out!). And never more so than this song, their third hit from "Star".

Belly, "Gepetto"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Good stuff, Patrick. Have you heard this one?

The Kelley Deal 6000 - "Dammit"
http://www.cinemelon.com/files/3940/130%20Dammit.mp3

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hadn't heard that one, Spanny. Liked it.

Becs: Just okay for me.

I provided a link to this song when I did my #9 song, "Headlights on the Parade". I don't know how many of you actually listened to it, but if you didn't, I'm giving you another chance. I just love Paul Buchanan's voice: classy, romantic, melancholy.

The Blue Nile, "The Downtown Lights"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke and NSpan - Nice choices. Got a little into both bands when I went through a Breeders phase but never explored much. Blue Nile song was okay.
Becs: sounded very familiar to me. That's not a good thing!

Now for something a little different

Feedtime - Melody Line

An alt-punk Aussie band who are barely known, even by Aussies! This guy's voice sounds like he's been dining on sludge for decades. But I like the way the singer uses a slide on a distorted guitar.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

New goal... somehow receive approval from #6 indie snobbery!

I kid... but really I am trying to hit on things different people will like, so I have no doubt you will dislike more than half of the stuff I post, or at least pan it..

For today, something completely different!

- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

this is Kate's friends' band. she's talked about them for a long time--but i've never really bothered to give 'em a chance. turns out they're opening for the Toadies soon, so my interest was reignited.

turns out: they're awesome

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Becs: not bad, sounds very trip-hoppy. How's that for indie snob approval? ;)

NSpan: a disco bass line does not make a song. Like a poor Spoon.

Becs, here's something you may like. Stuck between the success of Portishead and Massive Attack came Alpha, a Bristol band trying hard to be good. They didn't always make it but this song is damn good... I present to you, Sometime Later

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hi guys, been away on holiday for a while but here is my first contribution to this thread from a band I've been listening to for a little while. Probably won't win over many fans but what can I say, I spent 100 songs hoping to achieve that to little avail...

Flipper - "Ever" (1982)

And I promise to get to all your no.1's in the near future too.