Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by Buscemi »

The radio station (simply named Free Form, as it was created before my decision to debut it here) will launch in five hours.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Awesome should be a good companion to the rundown. Given the fact that, of the 11 fantaverse members who have proposed to take part in the countdown, I only have 5 no.100 picks so far (including my own), and marrying that with when it is best for me to post (it takes a heck of a long time to format a post, I commend Shryke for the work he put in on trhe previous countdowns and the work he does on here in general), I will propose to submit the no.100 pick in 18 hours. If all remaining participants can PLEASE get their picks to me asap it would be appreciated.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I just found out that I cannot post a link from Spotify to here. And if you post it on Facebook, you only get to hear the first 30 songs and nothing else.

You think that a application that prides itself on being user-friendly would allow you post a link to listen other people's playlists (that are more than just 30).

Edit: I think I figured it out. Check if you can get more than 30 songs (the current song count should be 758).

http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And if you pass that link I provided, I also placed it in my signature.

For maximum enjoyment, turn on the shuffle.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Working on my the final touches SS, how many hours have i got?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

5 hours to go! I assume Surfer will be opening up a thread for this.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've waited as long as I can, still short on NSpan, Buscemi and Alyson, but on with the show...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I figured that I would resurrect this thread.

So I listened to M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming earlier. While the first half of the album is excellent, the second half falls into too many indie/hipster cliches and manages to be very average. If M83 had been smart, they would have dropped the second disc and made the album one tight disc of material.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see what they come up with in their film scoring debut (Oblivion). Though the film looks extremely cliched and unoriginal, their sound should be fresh. As long as it doesn't get altered to hell like Daft Punk's score to Tron: Legacy and become a ripoff of the score to The Terminator.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

M83's music is everywhere, particularly that one single. It's on every uplifting ad and TV trailer I've seen in the last 2 years. I'm afraid they've become the epitome of hipster indie. I've never been a huge fan of them, ever since I tried to get into their first album. But then again, they're not the worst band I've heard.

I believe they're scoring Only God Forgives as well? You're right though, it's good to see someone new composing scores.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Cliff Martinez is scoring Only God Forgives.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a podcast celebrating my favourite music of 2012. Just right-click and save as.

http://dynamicrangeradio.ca/wp-content/ ... p3-VBR.mp3

It's also available for streaming from my website (link in my sig) but I can't embed the streaming version here.

And a special shoutout to all you Dire Straits h8ers. There's some solo Mark Knopfler included in the podcast, so you won't want to miss that!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Wait, we're doing something that involves LISTS?! Why wasn't I informed??

If it's not too late, I might be able to contribute.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

For some reason, I've developed an obsession for Lionrock (based on the opening sequence of Go) and Petra Haden's Petra Goes to the Movies album.

It's too bad Lionrock only did two albums because his work is some of the best DJ work I've ever heard.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just wondering what JohnErle's opinion is on Big Country's The Seer. I still haven't gotten round to picking up either their The Crossing or Steeltown from the album countdown, but saw this on vinyl in a record store a couple of days ago for $3, so gave it a go. Really enjoying it so far, highlights being the title track, Eiledon and The Sailor.

Here's The Sailor, for those interested, I love when it all kicks off at the two minute mark:

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:Just wondering what JohnErle's opinion is on Big Country's The Seer. I still haven't gotten round to picking up either their The Crossing or Steeltown from the album countdown, but saw this on vinyl in a record store a couple of days ago for $3, so gave it a go. Really enjoying it so far, highlights being the title track, Eiledon and The Sailor.

Here's The Sailor, for those interested, I love when it all kicks off at the two minute mark:

That album took a long time to grow on me, but I now consider it their third-best, and it ranks in my top 40 overall.

It was the production values that turned me off when I first heard it. All the edge of the first two albums had been replaced by a very glossy, almost pop sound, so I'm kinda surprised you like it considering your predilection for all things dark and edgy. But then I've only ever heard it on CD so maybe the vinyl sounds a bit punchier. I'm glad you like it, and if you like the Seer you'll probably love The Crossing.

Look Away was a huge hit in 1986 in the UK and Europe, probably bigger than In A Big Country. My favourites from The Seer are Remembrance Day, The Red Fox, and the title track. The first half of The Sailor is a good example of why I didn't like the album much at first, but once the song switches gears and the drums kick in - awesome!