Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I can't do this one. Let Geezer do it. After we do the Top 25 worst movies countdown, my countdowning duties will be on hiatus for a while.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hopefully Greatest Hits counts. :)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

where is robdude u are stealing his comments haha
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

50 Albums ... ready in 72 hours.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

50 Albums wouldn't be too hard for me for either. I would be willing to participate if the countdown occured.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm going to pull out of this since I couldn't get to fifty.

But here's a list of my favorites (in alphabetical order):

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - The White Album
Big Star - #1 Record
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Clash - London Calling
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
Crowded House - Crowded House
Depeche Mode - Violator
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Carole King - Tapestry
John Lennon - Rock 'n' Roll
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Ennio Morricone - Cinema Paradiso
Nirvana - In Utero
The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Radiohead - OK Computer (this originally said The Bends, but then I realized that OK Computer had Paranoid Android and Karma Police and got the two confused)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Lou Reed - Transformer
Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Bruce Springsteen - The River
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants
Weezer - Weezer (1994)
Weird Al Yankovic - Running With Scissors

And one album that isn't as bad as people say it is: Radiohead - Pablo Honey. It seems that people hate it because it's a more conventional album from them. But anything Radiohead is better than much of the hits from the 1990's. Also, it's a very enjoyable conventional album and all of these songs could have been hits.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Aside from their cover of "The Air That I Breathe," Radiohead's Pablo Honey just sounds like bad U2. And U2 is already "bad U2."

Some great picks in that list, though. In the countdown, you had some of my favorites.

Did you ever listen to Iggy Pop's The Idiot? I'm sure we talked about it, but I don't recall. If you're a fan of early Lou Reed's solo stuff, you'd love it.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm surprised that you rate so many albums so highly when not too many of them showed up in your top 100 songs. I mean, I'd say a good 60-70% of my favourite albums are from artists which I have already covered in the other countdown. Not saying it's impossible for you to appreciate an LP, as it can be viewed almost as a different art form, especially when many of your picks are very atmospheric can be seen as a singular statement rather than just a collection of good songs, I just found it interesting.

Some good picks though, and probably 5 or so records that may make my own list.

Don't agree with you on Pablo Honey though. I love Radiohead, both pre and post Kid A, but Pablo Honey just sounds like a band trying to find their place in the world of rock. They sound too much like too many other bands and don't really have their own identity. Whether it's a knock off Nirvana or, as NSpan mentioned, a little too bombastic U2, it just sounds like a band filtered through early 90s rock and doesn't really stand out. I don't hate it, it's more just indifference that I think of when it's mentioned. And you say conventional as if it's something to be proud of. Hell, I suppose there's nothing wrong with the moniker, but I think it also slaps of a band playing it safe, which they certainly did. There's a couple of good songs on there, but not enough to really get you interested in the band. Indeed, though I heard Anyone Can Play Guitar pretty early on, it just didn't really grab me, and it wasn't until the My Iron Lung EP was released that I became obsessed with the band, as they started to become the Radiohead we all know. Pablo Honey introduced one of the greatest bands of the latter half of the century, but it wasn't an indicator as to how good they were. That would come later on.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Good to see a pre-Back In Black pick here. The band died with Bon Scott. Back in Black has some great songs--but Brian Johnson's voice irritates the hell out of me.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I almost put in High Voltage instead but the first two tracks aren't as good as the rest. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has all nine of its songs great.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

NSpan wrote:
Buscemi wrote:AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Good to see a pre-Back In Black pick here. The band died with Bon Scott. Back in Black has some great songs--but Brian Johnson's voice irritates the hell out of me.
I don't think I've ever been in more agreement with you.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

An interesting list, Boosch. Some albums in there that will cerianly make my Top 50 once we get rolling. I can't help but note that there's a bit of predictability about most of your picks. They're all widely lauded albums that often turn up on aggregated Best of lists. Where's the surprise, where's the Boosch in there?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Did you ever listen to Iggy Pop's The Idiot? I'm sure we talked about it, but I don't recall. If you're a fan of early Lou Reed's solo stuff, you'd love it.
Depends on the kind of Lou Reed you like, if it's the more 50's rock n roll Lou from Transformers, or the seedy Lou from Berlin. The Idiot is really for fans of the latter. Lust for Life would be more for fans of the former.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
NSpan wrote: Did you ever listen to Iggy Pop's The Idiot? I'm sure we talked about it, but I don't recall. If you're a fan of early Lou Reed's solo stuff, you'd love it.
Depends on the kind of Lou Reed you like, if it's the more 50's rock n roll Lou from Transformers, or the seedy Lou from Berlin. The Idiot is really for fans of the latter. Lust for Life would be more for fans of the former.
Boosh's pick was Transformer, to provide context.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I loved Berlin also. In fact, I listened to Berlin first but didn't fully embrace it until hearing Transformer.

I really got into Lou Reed around the same time I really got into Nirvana. I picked Transformer due to the song Perfect Day reminding me of a friend of mine. She would play the song on her iPod and she would sing along to it. After those car rides, I had to get the entire album.