Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by Geezer »

He is planning to. I'll have to see if he will have his back end ready by monday.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Im in too, sorry i couldnt jump on this earlier. Better start working on my list now. Im all for 2 songs by the top 50. Countdown time! Yeaaaahhhh!! :D
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No problem Geez, if he can only join us for the top 50 though and post his 51-100 at a later date that's ok, would love to have as many participants all in from the outset, but if not I don't want to be a nag.

And great to have you on board Ron!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote:He is planning to. I'll have to see if he will have his back end ready by monday.
Btw, where's Brockster when you need him...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

This site has a good number of popular album covers, and when you click on the "larger" image, the dimensions appear to be uniform for all (500x500). Using this resource (when possible) might simplify things:

http://albumart.org/

Example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61eAaC6lJvL.jpg[/img]

Looks like it pulls the images from Amazon's server--which should be visible to all.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Fully expect some KC to now be in your top 100. I have been listening to a little of Larks' last couple of years, but I don't think it's grown on me enough yet to be truly a 'favourite'. Very good record though.

Oh and I will be posting album art, probably using something like that site.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote:I don't buy the argument that just because it's the internet you have to expect people to be judgmental. We're all supposedly part of a community here, or at least casual acquaintances, so if a friend tells you he loves something, what possible good can come from turning around and telling him you hate it? It's like telling a co-worker his wife is fat or his kids are ugly.
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's inevitable. Besides, when you're hanging out with mates and one of them mentions liking a TV show/movie/band you hate, surely you pipe up and talk about it rather than say nothing?

It's not inevitable if you speak up and lay down ground rules for appropriate behaviour among so-called mates. I'm at a point in my life where I can count on one hand the number of bands/movies that I hate. If I ran into Michael Bay on the street I would probably punch him in the throat just out of principle, but if a friend was raving about how much he loves the Transformers movies I would probably just say they're not really my thing or something about different strokes for different folks and move on. What I wouldn't do is launch into a detailed, venomous critique of why I think Michael Bay sucks and why my friend is fool for liking him, and there was way too much of that during the movie countdown.

Life is too short to waste it hating art, and I choose not to hang around negative judgmental people because it brings out the worst in me.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone posting a review of a movie they watched because of the countdown.
Can't speak for others, but I actually bought Black Narcissus and Diabolique on the basis of Surfer's and his wife's recommendations (and reviewed them here). I watched Howl's Moving Castle because it was in UDM's Top 10 (even though I only thought it was okay). I finally made up my mind to buy Seven Samurai as it featured on Leetsu's, SS's, and Ron B's lists. I bought JSA because of Chien's recommendation, as I will definitely watch Memories of Murder and Un Air De Famille (two films I had never heard of prior to this). None of these decisions would have been made without our collective Top 100 Films project.

Jesus de Montreal (from Leetsu's list) is on Netflix and is a priority for me.I'll be checking out A Christmas Story this December, another film I had never heard of until NSpan included it. The same goes for The Women (from Boosch's list), Angel Heart (Shryke), Election (you), etc.
I'm glad that you did check out some movies based on the countdown, but this sort of goes back to what I was saying about confirming biases. All the films you've watched are ones I would have have assumed you'd seen long before the countdown.

And I'm as guilty of that as anyone. I think the only film from the countdown that I watched was Bottle Rocket, which was the only Wes Anderson film I hadn't seen so I figured it was a safe bet. I also recently saw Ghostwatch based on a mention from you, but ghost stories are things I've been watching since I was a little kid so it sounded like something I would enjoy.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote: Yes some picks in the movie and song countdowns were mauled, but all in the nicest of ways.
That's a matter of opinion, and I disagree. I thought there many cases of people being quite obnoxious.

Maybe people were more open-minded during the song countdown, but I didn't participate in that so I can't say. It is a lot easier to watch a YouTube video than an entire movie, so maybe the album countdown would have a bit more influence. If you're willing to take my raw data and track down the videos, album covers and whatnot, I'll give it a go, but I don't have time for all that clerical work right now.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Now I'm worried that I was overly critical in the past countdowns. If I was to rude anyone, my sincere apologies.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I just double-checked my grudge list and you're not on it. ;-)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Man... I'm glad I called that guy!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote:Man... I'm glad I called that guy!

Hah! You just reminded me that I was more inclined to watch Billy Madison after the countdown but never got around to it. After Googling the story behind that joke I'm even more inclined.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

People really let the potential of other people disagreeing with them and bashing their opinions keep them from saying them? The internet was built on people crushing each others opinions. If you think what goes on here was nasty, you've probably never scrolled through the comments on a youtube video. We are very tame here. Try not to be so sheltered JohnE. Let me ask you this. Did anything that anyone said actually sway you? Because someone may have said a particular film sucked, did that make you immediately start to feel like it sucked? I'm going to guess the answer is no, and you still carried on life loving what you love. So why let the opinion of others, especially on an internet forum, bother you that much? In the grand scheme of things, its not going to change your life. What did matter is, as you said, making these lists is a TON of fun, and educational to boot. You just gotta realize not everyone is going to agree with you alll the time and its ok to get ripped from time to time. That is life, it will happen anywhere. Hell I plan on getting eviscerated right out of the gate with my number 100 selection, and I welcome it. It won't offend me. You need to remember not to take anything personally.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Geezer wrote:People really let the potential of other people disagreeing with them and bashing their opinions keep them from saying them? The internet was built on people crushing each others opinions. If you think what goes on here was nasty, you've probably never scrolled through the comments on a youtube video. We are very tame here. Try not to be so sheltered JohnE. Let me ask you this. Did anything that anyone said actually sway you? Because someone may have said a particular film sucked, did that make you immediately start to feel like it sucked? I'm going to guess the answer is no, and you still carried on life loving what you love. So why let the opinion of others, especially on an internet forum, bother you that much? In the grand scheme of things, its not going to change your life. What did matter is, as you said, making these lists is a TON of fun, and educational to boot. You just gotta realize not everyone is going to agree with you alll the time and its ok to get ripped from time to time. That is life, it will happen anywhere. Hell I plan on getting eviscerated right out of the gate with my number 100 selection, and I welcome it. It won't offend me. You need to remember not to take anything personally.
This is not about being afraid to express my opinions, it's about prioritizing my life and who I choose to spend my time with. My opinions about music are out there 24/7 for the world to see through DRR, so I'm not as compelled to do a top albums list like I would have been ten years ago.

The negativity in the movie countdown didn't affect my opinion about a single movie, it only affected my opinion of the people making those posts. And it wasn't just my picks being attacked that bothered me. I remember all the grief UDM took over Miss Congeniality. That made me think a lot less of the people who were piling up on him and made me want to watch Miss Congeniality.

And you have no idea how much time I've spent on the internet, including in places that have gotten a lot nastier than this. That may be why I'm so sensitive to wasting my time around that kind of negativity now. Been there. Done that. Complete fucking waste of energy.

And if it seems like I'm being too hard on this place, there are some people here I like, there are some with good qualities and bad qualities, there are some I don't relate to at all, and like any forum, there are a couple of people I can barely tolerate. The good outweighs the bad most of the time, but I nearly walked away from this place during the movie countdown, and the more I remember that the less I want to participate in another one. Making my list was fun, the countdown was not. So yeah, I guess I've decided I'm out.