Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by silversurfer19 »

To be honest I was a little surprised when the record first started. It's certainly a much more polished record than what you had submitted for the Album Countdown, and certainly bears many of those familiar 80s pop notes, but something within the record just really clicked. Don't know if it's the vocals or the guitars at times, or just that fact that their music is just so damn catchy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I pick up those other two records I'll be able to compare better, but for now I've found this a great introduction to the band.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Steeltown had been a critical success but a total bomb in North America, and only went Gold in the UK instead of platinum like The Crossing. After having total creative freedom on Steeltown, the band was under more pressure from the record company to deliver some hit singles, and you can hear the results in some of the production choices on The Seer and singles like Hold The Heart and One Great Thing, the least interesting songs the band had recorded at that point, if you ask most BC fans.

Stuart's voice sounds great on The Seer, and most of the songwriting is still very strong, but after the distinctive brilliance of the first two albums, I still see the Seer as a slight step down from the first two. Very good, especially in the deep cuts, but the first cracks in the armour were starting to show.

And in case you find more of their albums in the bargain bin, avoid buying one called Peace In Our Time at all costs. That was the album where the band gave in to record company pressure and delivered a major dud that basically ruined their reputation on both sides of the pond for the rest of their career. Better yet, buy it and destroy it so no one else will hear it before hearing the good stuff first. Don't worry, I'll reimburse you. ;)

Keep this crib sheet in your wallet the next time you go album shopping:

Steeltown/The Crossing: A+
The Seer: A
Wonderland (EP): A-
Driving To Damascus: A-
Why The Long Face: B+
The Buffalo Skinners: B-
No Place Like Home: C
Peace In Out Time: D

Compiltaions/Live Albums:

Without The Aid Of A Safety Net: A
Restless Natives & Rarities: A
Live At Barrowlands 83/84: A
Rarities II: B+
Come Up Screaming: B+

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

This is for all you lame-o's who don't follow Dynamic Range Radio and are therefore totally not with it, man.

I put together a YouTube playlist of my favourite Canadian music of the 90s in honour of Canada Day, which is today. Some of these artists, like Big Sugar, Pure, and Ashley MacIsaac were featured in the album countdown, but I'm pretty sure most of these songs are things you haven't heard before.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD ... 7i5SKG0BUZ[/youtube]

I guess the YouTube embed won't work for playlists, so just follow this link for the whole deal: http://dynamicrangeradio.ca/canada-day- ... s-edition/

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I love Liars

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've played this song nonstop since I first heard it on So You Think You Can Dance a few weeks ago.

Club Des Belugas combines contemporary European Lounge & Nujazz Styles with Brazilian Beats, Swing and American Black Soul of the fifties, sixties and seventies using their unique creativity and intensity.

And now the mind-blowing part... they're from Germany. That's just awesome.

I don't know what movie was used for this video, though. Anyone out there hazard a guess?

It's the African anteater ritual!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Finally, after years of waiting, Against Me!'s Transgender Dysphoria Blues is available to stream online! It won't be released until the 21st, and of course I've already pre-ordered it, but to get to hear it just has me overjoyed. There's almost zero chance that anything for the rest of the year beats it. I'm in love and I'll be playing it on repeat for a very long time. If you'd like to check it out for yourself, here is the link:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =261110454
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I was curious to hear the new Against Me! so thanks for the link. Not bad so far.

I also listened to a bit of your #1 pick from 2013 in the other thread and wasn't really impressed, but the first song made me wonder if you know this band.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Definitely hadn't heard that one. Very interesting, fun stuff.

Have you had the pleasure of seeing Against Me! live, John?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Never seen them live. I don't get out to a lot of live shows and Against Me! would probably be too sweaty and intense for a wimp like me. I'd rather nosh than mosh.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Anyone ever listen to The Grey Album? Now, I'm not a Jay-Z fan (I think of him as a person more interested in being in the spotlight rather than his music) but I think combining him with The Beatles was a genius decision. Too bad EMI had to pull the album (luckily, YouTube has it in its entirety).

Other good albums lurking in the Internet:

Swamp Dogg - Rat On!

Famous for its "so bad, it's good" cover, it's actually a well-made R&B album with some enjoyable tracks (and perhaps the best cover of a Bee Gees song). A great example of "don't judge a book by its cover".

Dwight Twilley Band - Twilley Don't Mind

I got into this band after seeing You're Next and I have to wonder how they didn't take off. Leon Russell produced their work, Tom Petty played guitar on at least one of their tracks and their work is some of the best the rock genre had to offer during the era. Along with Big Star, they could be the most underrated band of the 1970's.

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

For the longest time, I dismissed this band as another hipster group. Then I heard She Don't Use Jelly (which is nothing like what the title makes you think) and realized there was more to them. And this album (released in 1993, years before they became popular) shows off that they destroy the other groups they have been lumped in with in recent years.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Though Winehouse is better known today for her drug and alcohol problems and death, this album showed that she was a really good soul singer as well. If her detractors listened to this album in its entirely (and not just Rehab, which is actually the weakest song on the album), they would see a totally different side to her. A side that shows she was truly talented. Also, we wouldn't have Adele's albums had Winehouse not been around to work with her early on.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

finally, some black cow mixed into modern hip-hop
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Well, modern? I remember listening to that as a kid, still great. I've never heard the original Steely Dan song before, so TIL :D
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:Anyone ever listen to The Grey Album? Now, I'm not a Jay-Z fan (I think of him as a person more interested in being in the spotlight rather than his music) but I think combining him with The Beatles was a genius decision. Too bad EMI had to pull the album (luckily, YouTube has it in its entirety).

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

For the longest time, I dismissed this band as another hipster group. Then I heard She Don't Use Jelly (which is nothing like what the title makes you think) and realized there was more to them. And this album (released in 1993, years before they became popular) shows off that they destroy the other groups they have been lumped in with in recent years.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Though Winehouse is better known today for her drug and alcohol problems and death, this album showed that she was a really good soul singer as well. If her detractors listened to this album in its entirely (and not just Rehab, which is actually the weakest song on the album), they would see a totally different side to her. A side that shows she was truly talented. Also, we wouldn't have Adele's albums had Winehouse not been around to work with her early on.
Danger Mouse is no Dan the Automator, but if his name is attached, the album will be worth a listen.

Flaming Lips early-to-mid stuff is great. If you like that, check out Tripping Daisy. I Am an Elastic Firecracker is great, though I prefer Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb. The Lips' album Clouds Taste Metallic is a good example of how much the bands' styles overlap.

Kate force-fed me Amy Winehouse, and I came around to it. She has a retro sound that really works. Looking forward to her next album.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Well, modern? I remember listening to that as a kid, still great. I've never heard the original Steely Dan song before, so TIL :D
Oops, it's only new to me. Came out when I was in high school.

Aja is my favorite Steely Dan album.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I was introduced to this group by film composer Joe Kraemer on his Facebook page.

This was an orchestra that intentionally played bad (by playing instruments they had never played before) and the result is quite amusing. Brian Eno played clarinet for the orchestra and produced two of their albums.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr