Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by numbersix »

Well, it's a shame that you won't be involved, John, as I for one would be interested in your Top 100 records. But, I think it's only fair to say that the responses to the Top 100 songs were actually harsher and more dismissive than those in the movie countdown! Poor Tranny got a lot of slack for his hip-hip and metal picks (though I'm actually looking forward to revisiting Tranny's albums from underground hip-hop acts, ones that do more than bolster the guns-n-bitches stereotype), and there was a fair bit of mud slung.

I actually went and took a look at the Miss Congeniality post on our Top 100, and while some of us gave UDM a bit of a bollocking (as we say over here), not only did UDM defend himself with eloquence, but a lot of us responded to this and were more respectful because of it (I notice Geez, myself and Ron B all acknowledging respect for his choice, even if it was after some admittedly harsh criticism). And it's fair to say that the harsh criticisms were balanced out by the defending of what we shared to be good. That of course didn't change our feelings towards the film, but at least we avoided descending into IMBD-forum flaming. UDM is the only one who can say how he felt from both our initial responses and our subsequent ones.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I just re-read the Top Movies thread ("#11-2" and "the #1s"). Good stuff in there. I can't believe that was 2011. Seems longer ago. I remember being extremely busy with work at the time... but I also used that as an excuse not to comment on EVERY single selection. That helped when I didn't have anything interesting and/or pleasant to add as a response. I made the move from Texas to California right around the time I was originally supposed to premiere my #1 pick. Moving was hectic, and I was working 80 hour weeks on either end of that move. I ultimately had to reschedule my #1 and (to my knowledge) never even posted those final comments. Bummer.

But, a year and a half later, we're all back here winding up for a new countdown. Lookin' forward to it!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I forgot that I actually watched Bottle Rocket because it was your #1 film, NSpan. I loved it. Perhaps not my favourite Wes Anderson, but I'm certainly glad I ended up watching this and it was thanks to your recommendation. I still plan to see as many films from everyone's Top 10. I'm expecting some inspiration from your album list, so get inspirin'

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

John, you know you can still participate in building and sharing a list without actually reading the comments, right? If it bothers you that much, why not just skip over them? That way we all get the experience of hearing what you have to say, and you don't have to suffer through any negativity.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:I forgot that I actually watched Bottle Rocket because it was your #1 film, NSpan. I loved it. Perhaps not my favourite Wes Anderson, but I'm certainly glad I ended up watching this and it was thanks to your recommendation.
Glad you liked it... and even more glad you gave it a chance! I've thought it's been tragically under-looked since its release. Though--with Wes Anderson's continued success and the inclusion of Bottle Rocket into the Criterion Collection--I think people are finally coming around!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:Fully expect some KC to now be in your top 100. I have been listening to a little of Larks' last couple of years, but I don't think it's grown on me enough yet to be truly a 'favourite'. Very good record though.
There definitely will be a taste of kCrimson on my list... although the specific album(s) I chose are probably very different from what I would've picked a decade ago. Funny how a favorite band can remain a favorite band even as musical tastes shift around. I guess King Crimson's wildly variant styles over the years helps accommodate that.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Well this a helluva episode on Reeltimes Forumdown, man. Why take peoples (actually im sure Boosh is a robot) opinions so seriously Jerle, im taken aback at your stance, especially in this modern world where people are much more open than before. I cant believe i wont have the chance to rip shreds in your Britney Spears albums but oh well. ;) And i have seen alot of films from the Top 100 lists, heres what ive seen direct from that -
Some Like it Hot, Clue, Defendor, Army of Darkness, The Stoned Age, Barry Lyndon, Bottle Rocket, The Goonies, Lawrence of Arabia, Kind Hearts and Coronets, A Woman Under the Influence, Infernal Affairs, La Haine, Barton Fink, When Harry Met Sally, Dead Ringers, Election, Bram Stokers Dracula, and thats just a few!
I think its great that you have a priority, we all should, and i should be better at organizing my priorities, however this is a terrible waste of time and goodbye
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I got music lists coming out of my ass on my Last.FM profile. If you really want a list, this is all I have time for at the moment. There's a lot of greatest hits collections and recent albums that were in heavy rotation and don't belong on a list of my all time favourites, but it's good enough.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A pretty decent list here, John. Some of my favourite acts are in there, including Joy Division, Gang of Four, Tom Waits, The Cure (I also have the singles collection. The only album of theirs I own is Disintegration), etc. Also nice to see someone who digs Handsome Furs as well. Shame they've broken up.

Interesting that you've listened to Bloc Party's last two albums more than their debut Silent Alarm. Does that reflect your preferrance?

And is that Chris Isaak album your favourite? I never got into him though I do like Wicked Game and Baby Did A Bad Thing. Are these songs only the tip of the iceberg?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Forever Blue would be top 15, maybe top 10. Chris Isaak was David Lynch's favourite singer so I'm surprised you haven't heard more of his stuff. I also recommend San Francisco Days and The Baja Sessions.

Bloc Party - Without listening to all 3 I have no idea, but if the first one pre-dates DRR it was never in heavy rotation so the numbers are skewed. I can safely say their newest is my least favourite.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think I tried listening to some Isaak a few years back and wasn't impressed, but that was a long time ago and times have changed. To Youtube!

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

NSpan wrote:
numbersix wrote:I forgot that I actually watched Bottle Rocket because it was your #1 film, NSpan. I loved it. Perhaps not my favourite Wes Anderson, but I'm certainly glad I ended up watching this and it was thanks to your recommendation.
Glad you liked it... and even more glad you gave it a chance! I've thought it's been tragically under-looked since its release. Though--with Wes Anderson's continued success and the inclusion of Bottle Rocket into the Criterion Collection--I think people are finally coming around!
Nick - Bottle Rocket is your favorite film? I thought it was Brazil...Either way, it's been almost a decade since I watched either one. I am due for a rewatch.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Bottle Rocket is probably the weakest of Wes's films. It doesn't seem to have the style of his later films (he's best when he reveals himself to be a big kid, such as The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom) and feels more like an attempt to emulate guys like Tarantino or Edward Burns.

But here's a fun fact about Bottle Rocket: it had the worst test screening scores in Columbia's history.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yeah, I love Anderson's work, but from what I can recall from one full watch and another half watch, it never really struck me as a very 'Anderson' movie and is my least favourite of all his work. Tarantino's style seems an apt comparision, Boussh, although maybe I do need to give it another go, as it's been a good five years since I last saw it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

alyson wrote:
NSpan wrote:
Nick - Bottle Rocket is your favorite film? I thought it was Brazil...Either way, it's been almost a decade since I watched either one. I am due for a rewatch.
Yup. Brazil made #2 on that particular list.
Buscemi wrote:Bottle Rocket is probably the weakest of Wes's films. It doesn't seem to have the style of his later films (he's best when he reveals himself to be a big kid, such as The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom) and feels more like an attempt to emulate guys like Tarantino or Edward Burns
I think "big kid" is pretty fitting for Bottle Rocket. It's three guys who plan an elaborate heist to rob a local bookstore and then hit the road thinking the police are going to be hot on their trail. There are scenes where the "real world" seeps into their fantasy, but that's Wes Anderson's style. The juxtaposition of cold reality in the middle of an otherwise-lighthearted story makes those moments all the more effective. Hell, most people (including myself) think of Royal Tenenbaums as a warm, touching comedy. And that movie features a suicide attempt, a dog being run over, and it ends with a funeral.

If there's any direct connection to Tarantino, it's parody. Most of the humor in Bottle Rocket comes from the characters treating low-stakes situations as if they're life or death. Though I think Geez's comparison is based simply on what independent filmmaking looked like in the early-to-mid 90s.