Reel Society Music

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: Reel Society Music

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I haven't read the article yet, but i think just reading this threads page had been a better read than ive seen in a long time, haha. Anyway, ill read the article now and if it offends me ill say something, but it sounds like he's just trying to eep out a response from someone somewhere
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Does anyone collect vinyl? I want to get into it, so I grabbed a few at a shop I've been to a few times. I figured I got a good deal because the prices were cheap on the ones I bought (Machine Head from Deep Purple $4, Cream's Heavy Cream $5, and Rio from Duran Duran $2). I almost grabbed 461 Ocean Blvd, but didn't because I didn't want to spend any more money until I actually get a record player (lol).

I also saw a few Led Zeppelin (II for $10, IV for $20, Houses of the Holy for $20), Dark Side of the Moon for $20, as well as a few others that slip my mind. Anyone know if these are decent deals? They've been there for at least three weeks (likely a lot longer), but it's probably because it's a store at an Amish place and people don't usually go there to buy records.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

You could probably find the Zeppelins for a bit cheaper on eBay.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Funnily enough I've been pondering getting into vinyl for a while, mainly just for recreational purposes and getting my absolute favourite LPs. I have well over 1000 cds so obviously don't want to start my collection all over again, but getting a few favourites to sit and listen to appeals to me. When we go over to the US in a couple of months I'm thinking of popping into Urban Outfitters, as they have a very stylish turntable which is fitted into a small suitcase and it looks very smart and much cheaper than turntables over here, so I may pick it up.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Of course, if you buy anything from Urban Outfitters you become a despicable hipster ;)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've read some unsavory things about Urban Outfitters. But that's for another time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Hey, when you get stores like I have over here you can't be picky. I'll take what I can get and at a decent price (essentially 1/4 of the price of turntables over here - damn living in a country with such a small population and so far from anywhere), even if it means reducing myself to Urban Outfitters. Plus it's very cool.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

There's this new site people have been talking about. It's just out. I hear you can buy things on it...

;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Honestly, I'd use it but most don't ship things to NZ and even if they did they charge ridiculous amounts for shipping, especially anything bulky (ie. bigger than a cd). For shopping, NZ is not far off being a third world country, we rely on a duopoly of just two companies which own pretty much everything in NZ, and with such a small population they can charge whatever they want. I have to pretty much do all my shopping when I either go on holiday, buy what doesn't charge anything for shipping (and actually ships here in the first place), or just stomach the extortionate prices of NZ. It kills me when I see the prices UK and US people pay for everything from clothes to electronics to furniture, but I guess that's the price to pay for living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world....

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

ok, this idea may sound crazy if a little awesome...

What if, starting next year (prob september, when i get back home, and when there is no good movies out to comment on) just 1 year away, we did.....

ANOTHER COUNTDOWN!!!!!

everyones music tastes would have changed somewhat then, plus i love it.

Except instead of a top 100 top songs or top movies countdown, we do......top 50 Albums.

Ok, its off my chest, what do u think?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I probably haven't listened to 50 albums in my time.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Which is beyond sad.

Ron, a top 25 albums countdown has been thrown around numerous times. Never been any interest, because like Boush, people apparently don't listen to albums anymore.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm pretty sure most of us could do this. I think it's just been delayed while other countdowns have been run.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

well we have about 1 year to think about it, and listen to albums, it doesnt have to be 50, 25 would be cool

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I could easily do 50 albums and could start whenever anyone else is ready