Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #11): The #1s

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #11): The #1s

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:I wanted to list my absolute favorites from everybody before i got to mine. These songs have been in constant play on my ipod since you introduced me to it or re-introduced me to it (actually Banks, Chein and Barca's songs were ones that i had heard before) . So thanks guys!

Shrykespeare
Robert MIles, Children
Not mine, dude. That one was Barca's. Choose again.

hah, sorry, could of sworn that was you, well i'll wait for you to post your list and then i'll choose

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

2.Under Pressure, Queen
3.Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
4.Yesterday, The Beatles
5.Baba O'Riley, The Who
6.Piano Man, Billy Joel
7.The Kids Aren't Alright, The Offspring
8.Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd
9.Pints of Guiness make you strong, Against Me!
10.Dammit, Blink 182
11.Drain You, Nirvana
12.Inside Out, Eve 6
13.Sometime Around Midnight, The Airborne Toxic Event
14.The '59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem
15.Behind Closed Doors, Rise Against
16.Cliche Guevara, Against Me!
17.Beer, Reel Big Fish
18.Don't Stop Believing, Journey
19.Don't Take Me For Granted, Social Distortion
20.Existentialism on prom night, Straylight Run
21.Like The Angel, Rise Against
22.Jeremy , Pearl Jam
23.Thrash Unreal, Against Me!
24.Motorcycle Drive By, Third Eye Blind
25.My Own Worst Enemy, Lit
26.Give It All, Rise Against
27.All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
28.Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival
29.I Miss You, Incubus
30.Lithium, Nirvana
31.Sorrow , Bad Religion
32.Santa Monica, Everclear
33.All Apologies [Live], Nirvana
34.The Impression That I Get, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
35.Money, Pink Floyd
36.Father of Mine, Everclear
37.(Don't Fear) The Reaper, Blue Öyster Cult
38.The Game, Disturbed
39.Buddy Holly, Weezer
40.Sugar, System Of A Down
41.Stupid Kid, Alkaline Trio
42.Learn to Fly, Foo Fighters
43.Fight for Your Right, Beastie Boys
44.I Will Buy You a New Life, Everclear
45.Reinventing Axl Rose , Against Me!
46.Time, Pink Floyd
47.Breed, Nirvana
48.Sell Out, Reel Big Fish
49.Jumper , Third Eye Blind
50.Everlong, Foo Fighters
51.Last Train Home, Lostprophets
52.Paranoid, Black Sabbath
53.Los Angeles Is Burning, Bad Religion
54.The Times They Are a Changing, Bob Dylan
55.Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
56.Dumb, Nirvana
57.Longview, Green Day
58.Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2, Pink Floyd
59.Damn it feels good to be a gangsta, Geto Boys
60.Going Away to College, blink-182
61.A Day In The Life, The Beatles
62.Say It Ain't So , Weezer
63.Roulette, System of a Down
64.Daylight, Matt & Kim
65.Wake Up, Arcade Fire
66.London Calling, The Clash
67.Blurry, Puddle of Mudd
68.Tonight, Tonight, The Smashing Pumpkins
69.The Boys Are Back in Town, Thin Lizzy
70.Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses
71.Memory, Sugarcult
72.Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
73.Won't Get Fooled Again, The Who
74.Mr. Brightside , The Killers
75.Back in Black, AC/DC
76.Pardon Me, Incubus
77.We Came to Dance, The Gaslight Anthem
78.In Bloom, Nirvana
79.Ban The Tube Top, Reel Big Fish
80.Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry
81.The Sounds of Silence, Simon & Garfunkel
82.Hear You Me, Jimmy Eat World
83.Don't lose touch, Against Me!
84.Basket Case, Green Day
85.Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
86.Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Jimi Hendrix
87.What's My Age Again?, blink-182
88.Survive, Rise Against
89.My Hero, Foo Fighters
90.Ball and Chain, Social Distortion
91.Prayer Of The Refugee, Rise Against
92.Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd
93.With Arms Wide Open, Creed
94.Peace Of Mind, Boston
95.Self Esteem, The Offspring
96.Coming Clean, Green Day
97.From her lips to God's ears (The energizer), Against Me!
98.Layla, Eric Clapton
99.Tom Sawyer, Rush
100.Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
101.Anything, Third Eye Blind
102.Rebellion (Lies), Arcade Fire
103.Captain Kelly's Kitchen (Courtin' in the Kitchen), Dropkick Murphys
104.Come as You Are, Nirvana
105.Starlight, Muse

Now that is one damn fine list if I do say so myself! Probably the best part of doing this whole thing (other than, ya know, breathing new life into this place) is that I can now just throw on this playlist and know I'm not skipping a single song. Pain in the ass to actually list them, so I hope you appreciate it!

Anyways, can you believe we have two days left in this great odyssey? Time really seems to fly. When Shryke proposed this, I thought damn, this is going to take forever!!! But now that it is coming to an end, my thoughts are more like "Its really already over???" I feel myself yearning for more, and I'm kinda glad I didn't get to all of everyone's songs yet, because I am certainly going to continue to peruse songs, give second (and sometimes first) listens to most of the songs, and keep this thing alive. Quite possibly the coolest thing to happen to us in the years we have all been together in cyberspace.

Anyway, onto my number one. I doubt it will come as a surprise to anyone who has paid attention to my list that this song takes the top spot. It is simply THE MOST PERSONAL SONG I HAVE EVER HEARD. I can't count the amount of times I have listened to this song, and felt like they were singing right to me, about me, for me. And that is what makes a song truly great. There are not too many songs that even come close to making this kind of personal connection with me. The music fits the song perfectly, and is obviously toned back A LOT compared to a lot of their other work. I know there are a few other fans in the house, and I know that some will hate it. But for me, it is my favorite song, by one of my favorite artists, the pop punk ICONS that are Blink-182.

Adam's Song

I hope you enjoy'd the list as much as I enjoyed making it. I now hand it over to you...
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

UDM
This isn't going to come as a surprise but your list was my least favorite of all. I could count the songs that I liked of yours on one hand but hey difference of opinion is part of what made this thing so great in the first place. Clearly i'm not into pop,R&B and mainstream rap and This should also come as no surprise I didn't like your number 1 either man.

Geez
Good pick. Not one of my favorite Blink tracks but I can completely see why you picked it. It is a very deep and emotional song.Your list was about 50-50 I liked alot of your punk and classic rock picks but I really hate ska and a couple of your other choices. I am pretty sure you had similar thoughts on my list. Our music tastes are somewhat similar unlike our film taste which is pretty much identical.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Question, Geez:

When he sings "I took my time, I hurried up, the choice was mine", is he referencing Nirvana's Come As You Are (your #104, ironically)? Because the lyrics are nearly identical...

I'm not a big fan of Blink-182 in general, so this song didn't do much for me.

Geez, for the first half of this countdown, you and becs were neck-and-neck for first place for me, but then becs went on a tear with two straight weeks of 8's, 9's and 10's and never looked back. And then Barca came along and did the same thing. But your list was, on average, my third-favorite (you finished ahead of Boosh by ONE POINT),

There were only seven songs on your list that I didn't like (and four of those were by Against Me!), which is amazing. Here are my favorites.

Songs I'd Heard Before

Weezer, "Say It Ain't So" (our one overlap)
Foo Fighters, "My Hero"
Green Day, "Basket Case"
Weezer, "Buddy Holly"
Rush, "Tom Sawyer"
Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
The Who, "Baba O'Riley"
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Impression That I Get"

Songs I Hadn't Heard Before

The Airborne Toxic Event, "Sometime Around Midnight"
Sugarcult, "Memory"
Reel Big Fish, "Beer"

Since a lot of your list was in a genre I spent hours and hours listening to on the radio, there was very little that I hadn't heard before.

All in all, though, most enjoyable. Good list.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

On Geezer

Ah, Geez. When you posted your 100-105 I thought I was going to enjoy your list immensely. They weren't exactly amazing but it was a good mix of solid classic and contemporary rock. But all in al, I wasn't a huge fan of your list. I'm sure that'll come as no surprise to you ;) But looking down through it, I'd say almost 1 in every 5 songs you posted were actually good. Once you deviated from the 90's pop-punk/ska stuff I actually liked a good few of your picks. You had the Boss, Hendrix, a few Beatles tracks, Dylan. You are one of the few who have convinced me I need to get Weezer's debut album. And we both put London Calling and Paranoid in our Top 100's, two classic rock songs that I'll never get sick of.

Obviously, the one big connection we had was Nirvana. While I only had one song (Dumb, which also featured in yours), I don't think any of your Nirvana picks were poor. In fact it was great to actually go back and listen to Nirvana, as I haven't in years, and to find that the songs are still great after all these years, most notably Drain You and Lounge Act.

I will say that I got the sense that you were more closed off to the music of others than anyone else, stopping songs mid way or not even trying to grasp something that you may not be used to. Maybe it's because you weren't as diplomatic as some, or maybe it's because you like your certain slice of music and have no interest in other genres. But hey, it's hard for me to rag on you when I'm sure I pretty much denounced a lot of the choices of others too!

As for your Number 1, I don't know that song but it doesn't come as a surprise considering all of the Blink 182-type bands you had on your list. I gave your song a good, open-minded listen. And I will say it's better than any of the other Blink 182 songs I've ever heard. But I wasn't a big fan of the vocalist's melody, it felt a bit too bouncy for me. Like a band trying to be serious but just not being able to. So no, not my thing, but of course you knew I'd say that ;). I know the song is personal to you, but listening to the lyrics they didn't get to me much. I don't mean to generalise, but there's plenty of bands who sing about teenage angst like that, and these lyrics didn't sound like anything special. And that was one of the criticism I made during a lot of your picks. But having said that, music is about memories as much as the present, and sometimes your favourite song can be about being in the right place at the right time. So it's hard to argue that that's wrong.

But it was fun having you on board. You commented on almost every song everyone posted. And even though you gave me lots of s**t most of the time they were so acidic that I found them funny! And of course, even though we disagreed on what was good or not, you were one of the few who paid attention to the lyrics of your choices. And at the very least that is commendable.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

UDM:

I don't like country and I don't like dance-y pop music so most of your list was not even close to likeable for me. I am not a fan of Shakira other than watching her dance on mute. No offense. But I have my own hot chick singer (Anna Nalick) that I am infatuated with (several in fact,) so I can't quite fault you on that aspect.

98. Michael Jackson, Billie Jean (Ahh back when Michael was a great artist and not a caricature)
97. The Calling, Wherever You Will Go (yeah ok so I am not a monster. LOL It's a sweet song)
87. Stevie Wonder, Superstition (I believe in my heart that this is the greatest funk song EVER recorded)
85. Simon and Garfunkel, The Sounds of Silence (Just a great "spleen" song. hehe)
84. Alison Krauss and Union Station, New Favorite (One of the only new "country" albums I like along with Krauss and Plant)
53. Alison Krauss and Union Station, Let Me Touch You For a While
40. Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway (I have a hard to explain soft spot for her music)
29. Dido, White Flag (love Dido)
6. Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah (Sad day when Buckley died as we lost a brilliant artist)
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Geez

Your list was ups and downs for me. A bunch of great songs I love and then a bunch of your favorite genre that I can't stand. I still don't think the words pop and punk should be placed in the same sentence. We have had the discussion before that I think bands like Blink and Greenday are terrible, 3 chord playing lazy musicians. There songs are bland and unremarkable for the most part. But you had some incredible songs on your list and you introduced me to Gaslight Anthem and Matt and Kim for which I am eternally grateful. Overall one of my favorite lists other than a few low spots.

2.Under Pressure, Queen (as I said to Becs, one of the best duets ever!)
3.Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
4.Yesterday, The Beatles (The beatles at their greatest)
8.Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd (one of the best by one of the best)
13.Sometime Around Midnight, The Airborne Toxic Event (love this song and album)
14.The '59 Sound, The Gaslight Anthem (a brand new song that made my top 40)
22.Jeremy , Pearl Jam (the song that made us all take notice of this new grunge band)
23.Thrash Unreal, Against Me! (Need more like this)
24.Motorcycle Drive By, Third Eye Blind (Great album by a band that died)
25.My Own Worst Enemy, Lit ((another theme song from my life)
27.All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix (Hendrix + Dylan = unstoppable)
30.Lithium, Nirvana (great nirvana tune)
32.Santa Monica, Everclear (Their best song, wish they had recreated this magic)
34.The Impression That I Get, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (had some good drinking nights hearing this song, could be the only "ska" i like)
35.Money, Pink Floyd (only bass line I can play by Floyd)
37.(Don't Fear) The Reaper, Blue Öyster Cult (Not my favorite song by BOC but a great one nonetheless)
38.The Game, Disturbed (not my favorite of them but I love this band)
40.Sugar, System Of A Down (addicted the first time I heard this on the radio, bought the album that night)
43.Fight for Your Right, Beastie Boys (classic)
52.Paranoid, Black Sabbath (Ahh the Sabbath)
54.The Times They Are a Changing, Bob Dylan
55.Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen (no comment needed)
58.Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2, Pink Floyd (not PF's best song but certainly the most popular)
62.Say It Ain't So , Weezer
64.Daylight, Matt & Kim (Just fun)
70.Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses
80.Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry (this one too should be on any rock n roll list)
81.The Sounds of Silence, Simon & Garfunkel (again this song makes the list as it should. incredible)
85.Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind (one of the theme songs from my college days)
86.Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Jimi Hendrix

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Well, this certainly comes as no surprise as I got a bit of a wink/nudge via PM when I commented on someone else selecting All The Small Things as the best of Blink 182 being somewhat absurd to me... so, naturally I love this song, everything you said about it is dead on Geez, though for me its a toss up any given day whether my favorite is this or Stay Together for the Kids (that "HERE's your holiday" just carries so much emotion). And Shryke, Yea the nirvana reference is correct.

As far as your list over all, the vast majority were enjoyable, and your list easily had the most familiar songs, really there was only a small handful, generally more classic rock, that fell flat with me.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Shrykespeare's List

105. Scorpions, The Zoo
104. Level 42, Leaving Me Now
103. Sisters of Mercy, More
102. The The, Jealous of Youth
101. Ace of Base, Cruel Summer
100. New Order, Blue Monday
99. Weird Al Yankovic, Canadian Idiot
98. ABBA, Super Trouper
97. Elton John, Nikita
96. XTC, Generals and Majors
95. Crowded House, Don't Dream It's Over
94. Disturbed, Stupify
93. Laura Branigan, Self Control
92. Weezer, Say It Ain't So
91. Blancmange, Don't Tell Me
90. AC/DC, Highway to Hell
89. Sting, Mad About You
88. Bee Gees, You Win Again
87. Joe Satriani, Ceremony
86. Devo, Post Post Modern Man
85. Bryan Ferry, Limbo
84. Led Zeppelin, Kashmir
83. Thomas Dolby, Airhead
82. Morrissey, Ouija Board, Ouija Board
81. Enya, Amarantine
80. The Sundays, What Do You Think?
79. Jesus Jones, The Right Decision
78. Maurice Ravel, Bolero
77. Sheryl Crow, Real Gone
76. Erasure, Breath of Life
75. Nine Inch Nails, Closer
74. Golden Earring, Twilight Zone
73. Gorillaz, Dare
72. Foo Fighters, Monkey Wrench
71. Depeche Mode, Freelove
70. Talk Talk, Life's What You Make It
69. ZZ Top, Sharp Dressed Man
68. Stereo MCs, Connected
67. New Order, Bizarre Love Triangle
66. Level 42, Guaranteed
65. Thomas Dolby, I Love You Goodbye
64. Del Amitri, Just Like a Man
63. Eminem, Without Me
62. Better Than Ezra, At the Stars
61. Radiohead, Fake Plastic Trees
60. Lush, Last Night
59. UB40, Wear You to the Ball
58. The Format, The First Single
57. Depeche Mode, It's No Good
56. Erasure, The Circus
55. Art of Noise, Close (to the Edit)
54. XTC, King For a Day
53. Smash Mouth, Fallen Horses
52. New Order, Vanishing Point
51. Billy Idol, Rebel Yell
50. Sting, The Soul Cages
49. One Dove, White Love
48. James Brown, Living in America
47. Better Than Ezra, Briefly
46. Billy Idol, To Be A Lover
45. The Cranberries, Analyse
44. Icehouse, No Promises
43. Sublime, Badfish
42. Edelweiss, Bring Me Edelweiss
41. Audioslave, Like a Stone
40. Joe Satriani, Flying in a Blue Dream
39. MGMT, Time to Pretend
38. Rob Thomas, Little Wonders
37. Dire Straits, The Bug
36. Level 42, Hot Water
35. Queen, Radio Gaga
34. Julian Cope, Charlotte Anne
33. Xymox, Obsession
32. Morrissey, Every Day is Like Sunday
31. KMFDM, Juke Joint Jezebel
30. Joe Satriani, Lords of Karma
29. Cruise Control, No Condom, No Sex
28. UB40, Sing Our Own Song
27. The Sundays, Goodbye
26. Collective Soul, Heavy
25. Offspring, Why Don't You Get a Job?
24. Sarah McLachlan, Fear
23. Weird Al Yankovic, Your Horoscope For Today
22. The Other Two, Selfish
21. The The, Infected
20. Gary Numan, Are Friends Electric?
19. Crazy House, Heaven Said My Name
18. Naughty By Nature, O.P.P.
17. Alanis Morissette, Wunderkind
16. Midnight Oil, Truganini
15. Thomas Dolby, Quantum Mechanic
14. Tori Amos, Caught a Lite Sneeze
13. Sting, Shape of My Heart
12. Sarah McLachlan, Sweet Surrender
11. Kraftwerk, Neon Lights
10. George Michael, Freedom '90
9. The Blue Nile, Headlights on the Parade
8. Peter Gabriel, I Have the Touch
7. Talk Talk, Tomorrow Started
6. UB40, Maybe Tomorrow
5. The Earons, Land of Hunger
4. Johann Strauss II, The Blue Danube
3. Lush, Sweetness and Light
2. Peter Gabriel, Secret World (Live)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys (and becs),

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

If you recall, I came up with this idea in early March. It was just a thought passing through my head. Things were getting kind of light on the message boards, like the fire was, after years of gabbing, slowly starting to wane. I came up with the idea with the full intention of doing it all by myself if need be, even if no one listened or cared.

What I got was ten extraordinary people who graciously consented to do it with me. At the time, I don't even think I knew what I was in for. The sheer magnitude that this little side-project has reached has been beyond even my wildest imaginings. Our group of eleven became fifteen a few weeks in. Another month or so, it grew to seventeen. In the last four months, over 1,500 songs have been posted (including the 105-101 preliminary songs). Not all different songs, of course, but I don't think there was a single genre of music that we didn't touch on at some point.

Along the way, there has been exploration, discovery, and so, so much discussion. There's been camaraderie, and outrage, and shock, and praise, and criticism. There have been moments of sheer awesomeness, and moments of sheer “WTF”. (I'll probably be hearing about my Edelweiss pick for years...). But more than that, there has been mutual respect, and most importantly, friendship.

I've always been of the mind that to really get to know someone, like deep down, you had to spend a few hours embracing their favorite music. The past four months have felt like I've gone on sixteen separate journeys, and now that it ends, tonight, I can't help but feel a little wistful. For the journey is always more important than the destination. And though we are all separated by miles or oceans, I feel so much closer to all of you than I did four months ago.

So, to Nick, Eoin, Mark, Rebecca, Steven, Stuart S., Matt M., Stuart B., Chris M., Bill, Chris K., Lee, Khalid, Jonas, David and Matt F., my Fantaverse brothers and sister, I say thank you, and you are all very, very welcome.

And that just leaves one more tiny piece of business... the very last song of our countdowns.

But first, here are some other favorites songs of dear friends of mine:

My friend Scott (aka Graywolf):

The Kings, "Switching to Glide (The Beat Goes On)"

My former best friend Larry, who, sadly, passed in 2000:

The Police, "Every Breath You Take"

My best friend Tom:

Jimmy Buffett, "Margaritaville"

And, FINALLY finally:

Shrykespeare's #1 song

#1. Depeche Mode, “Enjoy the Silence” (1990)

No more obscure songs, no more one-hit wonders, no more WTF. Just awesome music in its purest, simplest, most undiluted form. It took me a long time to go over every version of this song to be had on YouTube, and in the end, I chose this version, for various reasons: 1) the sound quality kicks ass, 2) David isn't shirtless and posturing like he often does, and 3) Martin's guitar piece in the second half, absurd in its simplicity (it's really just six notes being strummed repeatedly), is to DIE for. Plus, I've seen this song performed live (in person) five times. And there is nothing, NOTHING on this earth, quite as emotionally cathartic as hearing your all-time favorite song being sung in unison by 15,000 complete strangers.

When we started this thing, I knew that this song was going to be either #1 or #2. After all, it's been fifteen years since I last did a list like this, and this song was #1. But as much as I wondered if my feelings had changed since then, I knew in my heart of hearts that it hadn't. This IS my all-time favorite song. It has been my all-time favorite song since the first time I heard it. I now know it will be my all-time favorite song until the day I leave this earth.

(My second-favorite version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrbZVmU9wv8

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And finally, the man with the plan.... On Shryke

Shryke, I've pretty much said whatever I had to say about this project 2 days ago, but I may as well reiterate what a brilliant idea this was, and thank you one final time for having the sense to come up with it. A brilliant idea that did indeed have a few of us return to these boards on a regular basis. Let's hope we can stick around.

In terms of your list, I have to confess that while not too much bothered me, very little stood out and amazed me. I guess I have a sort of immunity to 80's influenced synth pop and alt rock. Hell, going down through your list, I'm sorry to say there's plenty I just plain forgot about. And of course no matter what way I looked at it I just can't like UB40. But at least I can say I gave them a chance, and always being the first song of the day, I really did give them a chance. But there were plenty of positives in yor list. Kashmir is an amazing Led Zepp song. You had great tracks from the likes of Morrissey, Weezer, and Radiohead. I loved the dreamy world of Kraftwerk's Neon Lights. You reminded me of the brilliance of Talk Talk, and I must dust off the Best of CD I bought years ago (and let me tell you, Talk Talk do NOT lend themselves well to a best of compilation). I also have to commend you for being very open to new and different music. Do you think you'll be investigating more tracks and albums from the songs you liked off our lists?

Anyway, I wasn't expecting much from you #1, fearing another UB40 or Satriani track. But when you hinted it was from Becs list, I suspected it was this. It's funny that you say it was your favourite song from when you first heard it. I was the opposite. I didn't care much for it all these years. Then about 5 years ago I was in work and the radio was on some mainstream station that was playing the usual pop and R n' B crap. And this came on. It immediately grabbed my interest because it sounded different. I knew it before, but this time I realy listened to it. And not only did I know it was better than all the pop stuff thant came before it on the radio playlist, I suddenly realised that it was a great, great song. I think it's the balance of Gahan's almost theatrical voice against the general melancholy (spleen!) of the songs mood. Musically, it has electro-dance elements, but it kinda sounds like someone who's trying to party but deep down is too damn miserable to do so. So there's a sort of internal tragedy going on in this song, which is probably what interests me. It's an amazing song, and it could have made my Top 100 on the right day. So it's a delight that the list, which started with you, will now end with you, and on a high note. It's been a blast, pal, and we all have you to thank for it.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke
Before I even get on to your list I can't give you enough praise for coming up with this. It has been a hell of a ride Shryke and It has been a lot of fun Thank you so much Shryke for being the mastermind behind this fantastic musical spectacle.

Your list was not really my favorite as I am not too much of a fan of 80's music and there was a plethora of 80's tunes that dominated your list. That being said you have choices by Disturbed,Weezer,Sublime,Foo Fighters and of course Led Zepplin that I loved. Your list ranks in the middle of the pack for me. On to your number 1 pick it is an alright song but I like the cover Lacuna Coil did a lot better.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Ah shryke, no surprises here. You've been hinting a long while that it was a song overlapping with my list, I kind of figured without trying there were one or two specifically that it could be. As a child of the 80s who has only recently become enamored with 80s music, you gave me a fair bit of education on the decade and introduced a great many new bands and songs to me that I wouldn't have otherwise checked out or even heard of.
I can't really criticize your list because you were nearly as predictable as Nspan stylistically. Every selection was very YOU, so I could at least pull out the aspects as to why you liked it even if it didn't grab my attention... but for the most part there was pretty much nothing that was outright bad, even Edelweiss was not THAT bad, bizarre yes.

Its been a long, yet all too short, crazy ride, thanks again for being the creative genius you are around here, I don't think anyone (not even nico) has contributed the sheer amount of ideas to this little community to keep things fresh that you have. Even back at old FM the site runners didn't bring half the fun to the game that you guys could cook up, so thanks for that, and keeping the "Fantaverse" alive even for those of us not playing the game anymore :)
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Shryke: I am not thanking you for this like everyone else. Damned ass kissers. ;)

Ok guess I better. Great idea even though I wasn't around for a huge chunk of it. It was fun listening to all these songs and even more fun hearing the reasons why they picked it.

#1 pick, great choice. One of the best songs to come out of that decade.

Best of.

Your list had so many songs I did not know and a lot of the ones I did, I did not like that much. For me UB40 was a throwaway band even when I only knew their one song.

100. New Order, Blue Monday
94. Disturbed, Stupify (Shyrke liking Stupify? Wow, nice) edit: (Shyrke was a typo but it is a HILARIOUS typo)
84. Led Zeppelin, Kashmir (Riffage)
70. Talk Talk, Life's What You Make It (Did not know this band but they are incredible)
67. New Order, Bizarre Love Triangle (Good ol New Order.)
61. Radiohead, Fake Plastic Trees (Yay!)
60. Lush, Last Night (another band I am going to listen to now)
45. The Cranberries, Analyse
35. Queen, Radio Gaga
27. The Sundays, Goodbye
7. Talk Talk, Tomorrow Started (This was a great song, thanks for sharing it)
3. Lush, Sweetness and Light

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Haha, Don u joker.

Shryke mate, im glad i got to the net for this day. Your No. 1! Depeche Mode, probably your favourite band eh? Ironically they are the band to have the most top 10 hits but no No 1's...

Well as for the song, i thought it was great, it summed up your taste perfectly, a bit of 80s with some very cool sounds, together with vocals that i can only hear from a Shryke pick. Real good stuff. But, and yes there is always a but, i wonder why you chose a live performance, i can only hope its because its better than the studio version.

Here is my favs from your list:

5 of the best in bold

99. Weird Al Yankovic, Canadian Idiot
95. Crowded House, Don't Dream It's Over
90. AC/DC, Highway to Hell
84. Led Zeppelin, Kashmir
73. Gorillaz, Dare
72. Foo Fighters, Monkey Wrench
63. Eminem, Without Me
61. Radiohead, Fake Plastic Trees
25. Offspring, Why Don't You Get a Job?
20. Gary Numan, Are Friends Electric?
18. Naughty By Nature, O.P.P.
11. Kraftwerk, Neon Lights
9. The Blue Nile, Headlights on the Parade
8. Peter Gabriel, I Have the Touch
7. Talk Talk, Tomorrow Started
2. Peter Gabriel, Secret World (Live)
1. Depeche Mode, Enjoy the Silence

Whats even more ironic is that after you, we have no more songs to post, does the title mean something or are we going to do something else. But honestly, im not sure how any of us can get a better thread going. Lets wait and see, and hopefully not enjoy the silence too much!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale